Anyone here tried the PALEO DIET?

by StAnn 33 Replies latest social physical

• obfuscatetheobvious
    obfuscatetheobvious

Great tips Pickler! This is pretty much what we do. Slow cooker is our best friend in the kitchen. We also have a Betti Bossi vegetable twister which makes "spaghetti" out of carrots and zuchinni, etc (cost $30?). Good for the kids (they get heaps of vege in this way) can also help with your own food associations, which is a big hurdle for those trying paleo style diets.

Picklers tips for making it non paleo friendly are particularly valuable. That way you don't have to make a big announcement that "we only eat paleo". You can affordably provide options for others, that you simply refrain from eating.

Cheers, Ob.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Berengaria, since the sabre-toothed cat and cave bears were predators at that time, plus no modern medicine, I don't know how long paleos lived.

I'd love some mammoth meat!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Ob, yes, we've agreed we're not going to force this diet on the children. We'll give them this diet with an added carb (mac & cheese!) and a little junk food in the house.

I'm going to try to stick as closely to my normal meals as possible. For instance, we love swiss steak but we just won't serve it over noodles. I'll still make chili just with no beans. I think we'll cheat a little bit by allowing lentils in our lives--my husband is addicted to lentils! But one lentil meal a week won't kill us. Tonight I baked a turkey with yellow squash and zucchini and mashed potatoes and gravy. On paleo, I'd give the mashed potatoes to the children and probably add a fresh salad for the paleo followers. Things like that.

• Satanus
    Satanus

One big difference between this paleo diet and the real one practiced by the hunter gatherers, is omega 3. All the meat those guys ate, and the eggs, had lots of omega 3 oil. More acurately, it was balanced w the 6 and 9 oils. The omega 3 came from the grass, which made it from sunlight. Green grass is what makes egg yokes the darker orange color. Few animals we eat, these days get much green grass.

The big thing about getting enough omega 3 is that it tends to stop inflammations. Chronic inflammations are at the root of a LOT of diseases: arterioschlerosis, artheritis, some digestive diseases, to name a few. This inflammation subject comes up often on the science news site that i read - http://www.physorg.com/sort/date/all/.

You can add omega3 to your diet very easily. I settled on linseed oil (flax oil, cold pressed) for mine. For my wieght, 1 tblsp a day was about right. You can add it to salad, soup, stew, spag sauce, etc. The recommend that you don't cook it. Keep it in the fridge. It has a slight grassy taste.

S

• whathappened
    whathappened

How quickly do you lose weight on this diet? I seem to gain weight every time I diet.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Does anyone have any good good Paleo slow cooker recipes they could share?

• Pickler
    Pickler

Hey obs, thanks! Making vegetables into "pasta" is something I've long wanted to try, I'm going to search that brand that you mentioned in your post.

i read your previous comment about Crossfit, I had almost an identical experience, it is "culty". In the end I chose not to go with Crossfit, because I knew fast reps of weight bearing activities are not for me. Their rhetoric is so forceful though. I also experience cult like rhetoric in Bikram yoga, but I still practice and tune it out.

One good thing about paleo is that you can make an amazing Thai curry. Find a good paste with nothing artificial added. Paste, coconut milk, tiny bit of fish sauce & any meat, it's spectacular.

I make a Thai yellow curry with salmon & veg. If I'm feeling virtuos I make cauliflower "rice". If I need stodge I make sweet potato (kumara) chips. A curry over hot chips is heavenly. Don't forget to squeeze lemon on top.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, Pickler, Ido things like that too. Blue cheese isn't exactly paleo...but I think a relaxed paleo does no harm, certainly after a few weeks. Rice...actually, wild rice is OK, and whole grain rice in strict moderation can be used occasionally, especially on a relaxed paleo!

Also, occasional spelt or other ancient wheat-like grain can be included just sometimes.

Extra cold-pressed virgin olive oil is very good, and yes, linseed...I use real linseed, but I expect the oil is good too!

• obfuscatetheobvious
    obfuscatetheobvious

Hey Pickler!

Your Thai curry sounds great! Very simple and so quick, something similar is a favorite in our house. Another favorite is whole chicken in a thai red curry/coconut milk marinade with spicy cucumber ribbon salad. Literally takes 10 mins to prepare including the salad, 1 hr in the oven and is awesome. We have this at least every week and the leftovers are awesome for lunch the next day!

You're a Sydneysider? Love to know which CF gym you went to. I'm a Brissy boy. Really enjoy health/fitness, particularly interested in long term health/fitness. Been thinking about going to yoga, time is the main factor. I recently joined a Aussie Rules footy team (2nd oldest guy in the side) for the first time in my life, something I've wanted to do for a long time. The rhetoric is high at footy as well (examine the typical footy cliches) but the difference is that I am aware that it's rhetoric, I understand rhetorical fallicies and how they are used to convince and motivate. Something I wasn't aware of when I started Crossfit or when examining my religious beliefs.

LisaRose - cut up 1 large onion, 4-6 medium/large potatoes, 1 carrots, 1 stick celery into large chunks and place at the bottom of pot. Pour a 400gr tinned diced tomatoes or passata over veges. Use a knife to poke small holes in a butterflied shoulder of lamb and stuff holes with 3-4 cloves of garlic (cut garlic into small slivers) and rosemary sprigs. Place lamb on top of vege/tomatoes. Add 2 cups stock (or water with stock cube). Add to the pot more sprigs rosemary, bay leaves, dried oregano, dried chillies, season with salt and pepper. Leave on low for 8+hrs, turn meat about halfway thru if possible. The prep should take 10-15mins. To finish, remove and set aside lamb and potatoes. Use a barmix or blender to blend the onion/carrot/celery with sauce. Strain to make a rich, velvety sauce. Dice up a fresh onion, carrot, stick celery, zuchinni into small peices and gently fry for 5 mins. Add back to the sauce along some frozen peas (or spinich, cabbage, etc). Cut the lamb into large chunks and add back to the sauce. Taste sauce and season as required. Simmer gently for 5 mins until warmed thru. Mash the potatoes with some butter/heavy cream (if dairy tolerant). Serve some mash with sauce and lamb chunks and devour!

Paleopot.com (also on FB) has some great, easy to make recipes specifically for the slow cooker. Seems to be budget conscious as well.

Cheers, Ob.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Ob, yes, we've agreed we're not going to force this diet on the children. We'll give them this diet with an added carb (mac & cheese!) and a little junk food in the house.

But you are missing the entire point. Carbs should be in the form of whole grains, vegetables and fruits. Where do all your nutrients come from?

I had a friend who was a dedicated Atkins follower. She and her husband had lost something like a hundred pounds each. They felt great, ate like pigs, on everything meaty. Ohhhh they must go easy on the veggies, no grains, and almost no fruit.

I hadn't talked to her for 5 years but recently made contact. BOTH of them had cancer. Exactly what I would have expected from the way they ate.

Weight loss is about calories, health is about whole foods, variety and balance.

Exercise is damn near the cure all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit