"Do not be called teachers"--Doesn't Jesus OUTLAW all organized religion?

by humbled 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Isidore
    Isidore

Mr. freeze, the 'gods' you cite never claimed to be the only way. Christ did. If we only used Pascal's wager, the safe bet would be to believe Him

• Isidore
    Isidore

Humbled, I understand your aprehension. However, you didn't respond to the earliest historical evidence that disagrees with your position.

You don' t realize it, but you assent to church authority now. How? But what do you base the canon of scripture?

• humbled
    humbled

I find no historical evidence that disagrees with my view. Was Jesus' own teaching not regarded by men who discussed doctrine concerning circumcision? They discussed it and offered their judgement but this gives us no certainty that Church was designed by Christ to install a Hierarchy and institutionalize a belief system.

We know that Church fathers dismissed and supressed other stories and writings of Jesus. We know that the Church took on a big "C" and made up the Apostles' Creed. But this necessitated ignoring Matt. 23:8 and 10--as well as all the other places told them not to seek prominence.

I value Jesus' teaching over the letters of men--Put a (supposed)letter of Paul in front of me and a (supposed) saying of Jesus and I will prefer Jesus every time.

What about Matt. 23:8,10?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I like threads with OUTLAW in the title..LOL!!..

................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was somehow waiting your arrival on this thread.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Isidore, Pascal's Wager is the most flawed reason for religious belief that there is.

You missed the point of what I said. There is no more reason to believe that Vishnu or Zeus exists than there is the Judeo-Christian god.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I admit that I am trying to fathom the teachings of Jesus in order to learn who God is through following him.

Why not the teachings of Vishnu or Muhummad? Why did you pick Jesus?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Mr. freeze, the 'gods' you cite never claimed to be the only way. Christ did. If we only used Pascal's wager, the safe bet would be to believe Him.

LOL...I suppose The bible says so...therefore....Jesus wins!

And...how do you know the other 'Gods' never claimed to be the only way? Have you studied all the other gods? I believe there are approximately 30,000 to choose from. Could take a while to check them all out.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Put everyone that believes in Christ alone without the control of religion on an island. Would it work?

• humbled
    humbled

Still thinking,

I'll answer as though you meant a serious question about why pick Jesus.

As a baby I woke up in the religious soup of Catholicism-a more or less Christian outfit (though we had a lot of Virgin Mary stuff thrown in with) so it was easy to fall in the direction of Jesus just because of religious prejudice.

I never looked beyond Christian Churches even when I felt braver, after reading the bible and having a life-changing experience. I associated that extraordinary thing with Church. I was still interpreting/translating all events into a form that fit into my early religious training. Lots of folks do that you know. Over time I see things differently--Whether the spirit that I met 35 years ago was Jehovah, Vishnu or Zeus, I was convinced that Something was out there. Jesus still was my go-to for figuring it out.

I am almost 61 years old now. The Jesus I have followed has gone in and out of Big "C"Church. I tried to stuff him into various theologies where He didn't fit-- because I tried different Churches. Jesus is bigger than that.

I am trying to understand why I am alive, how best to live in a world that has been difficult to live in. Jesus said things--some not in the accepted canon--that pulled me. I trust him. It has taken a long time for me to go this far. I am not afraid of other beliefs. The teaching Jesus gave is never far off from the true things other men and women of God have heard, good things that pulled them. I am not burdened by Jesus.

I am not afraid of being wrong. I just don't want to be afraid of what may be true.

Maeve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit