Bart Ehrman: Paul Viewed Jesus Christ as an Angel.

by Emery 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

Malachi writes of Christ when he says: " Behold, I will send my messenger , and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord , whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant , whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap...." (Malachi 3:1-2)

mP:

From the OT who or what is a messenger of the convenant ? Jesus was never called that in the NT, so your match is completely wrong.

Malachi is not a name it means "messenger". The scripture your referring to is actually probably the author talking about themselves.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Some people here continue to say Paul knew the gospels. He could not b/c the earliest and most apocalyptic, Mark, was written after Paul's deatrh. It is a fact that anyone in diverse religions believe. It is fact. Paul may have had access to a hypothetical Q, which was the source of the synotpic gospels: Mark, Matthew, and Luke. The similaries are too great to be based on independent sources. Q probably contained sayings of Jesus, handed down orally and finally written. For some reason, there is no narrative. Maybe people already knew the narrative but wanted the precise words of Jesus before the oral tradition degraded them. There is no miraculous birth or even Passion in Q.

Paul had to rely on what he was taught by oral tradition or perahps some fragmented writings that are now lost. Clearly, his view of Jesus differs from that of James and Peter. There is no scripture that conclusively settles the Christological debate. To me, it matters deeply whether Jesus was adopted by God, is highly evolved, or is God. For some reason, it did not consume early Christians. Perhaps certain cities had different views.

When I read a critical biography of Augustine recently, I was shocked at the diversity of scripture during Jesus; life and Augustine's. Different cities considered different books holy. One city might have no knowledge of another gospel. Many Christians only had one gospel. Sometimes the writings considered scripture can be traced to the historical tradition that linked a particular apostle with the founding of the local church. Every little church was founded by one of the Twelve or Paul. They all had relics, too. The canonization of the gospels and the development of orthodoxy only happened after Constantine's conversion. Constantine ordered local bishops to gather and define belief. The result was many disputes. The historical records can be easily found online. Once Constantine converted, what Christian bishops decided was important to everyone in the Roman Empire. Time and time again, Constantine interferes for political reasons. He wants one united church. His legitmacy as a Roman Emperor was sullied. A cohesive church increased his personal legitimacy.

I thought that the Trinitarian view was decided by the Nicene Creed. Presently, I am reading a historical novel about a young woman who poses as a man to have a place among Christian intellects. Arianism lasted for a long time in Europe. There were military battles and suppression deep into the MIddle Ages. Predictably, there was not widespread debate among Christians. What view of Jesus you held mostly depended upon where you lived in a geographical region. Your war lord determined what you would believe.

This is a rich history, full of contradictions. Within mainstream denominations, even those that recite the Nicene Creed during every service, few would claim it is absolute. A sophisticated view that I endorse is that God acts in people's lives in sundry ways. Each person has a range of experiences. The Trnity is best viewed as a clumsy attempt to describe the manifest ways we view God. No one would be defrocked for this view.

The same is true of American history. Few Americans have a clue how sexy, interesting, and personal it is. Rather than tarnish it with the great American myths that are total lies, why not embrace it. We comes across as a far better nation with the truth. Any time scripture or supposed history, selected and misconstrued as in the WT manner, fits neatly into a framework, the result is fraud on a large scale.

I don't know the truth. The first century actors disagreed. I can only quote my readings and personal insights. Others may have other views, just as legitimate. I do know utter junk and bunk when I read it. Were this not the exWT world, I would ignore it. Eden One completely and totally misrepresented the Gnostic scriptures. Total misrepresentation. He writes boldy but he knows very little. In his mind, he is a giant and we are little itsby nothings. Well, I know better and will proclaim it. I am sorry if I get carried away but I despise a supposed teacher claiming truth that isn ot truth in any fashion. All my higher education moves me to call bunk.

When someone proclaims something shockingly different from accepted norms, the person should cite extensive sources and the process by which they reached their conclusions. Many an academic field has improved by such action. Eden One could be right. I highly doubt it. Conclusory statements are not enough. I recall being impressed by shoddy scholarship when I was a teenager. The WT was the only truth. Well, I am much older and wiser now.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

MP: From the OT who or what is a messenger of the convenant? Jesus was never called that in the NT, so your match is completely wrong. Malachi is not a name it means "messenger." The scripture your referring to is actually probably the author talking about themselves.

The reference is to Jehovah, or Christ. First, Malachi never fulfilled the prophecy.

Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness. Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the Lord, as in the days of old, and as in former years. And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the Lord of hosts.

Jehovah/Jesus is the "Messenger" who comes to purify and judge the earth. Notice that it's the "Lord of hosts" who announces that he is the fulfillment. And because Jehovah is the premortal Christ (NOT the Father), he announces his intent to judge the peoples of the earth. How do we know this? Because Jehovah, throughout the Old Testament, says that he will be the judge of mankind. But Jesus not only told the Jews that he was the great "I AM" of scripture, John states, "For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment to the Son." (John 5:22)

In Genesis, Jehovah also is called an angel:

And he [Jacob] blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day, the Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth. (Gen. 48:15-16)

In other words, "the God which fed me" (Jehovah) is called "the Angel" or "the Messenger" who redeemed him from all evil. Jesus also fits that bill as redeemer and savior of mankind. Jacob, who had been renamed Israel by God, said, "and let my name be named on them," which was "Israelites" (also known as the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob). If Jehovah was an angel, or messenger, who was it that sent him?

The Father is the only logical answer, which means Jehovah cannot be the Father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit