Looking up scriptures during meetings

by Stealth 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Whip up that scripture on your iPad faster than your neighbour:

http://www.olivetree.com/

http://www.e-sword.net/

My peeve is an inexperienced speaker who doesn't give you enough time to flip there. Also entertaining when the speaker references the wrong scripture (I've seen this more often in regular churches. Usually I Corinthians instead of II.)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Being a book-worm and born-in, I used to be PDQ at finding scrips. in the days before digital. I would often read the surrounding context, and note that quite often this did not fit the point the speaker was making, but I never made a fuss, unless it was blatantly done,rather than accidently.

I took a M.S to task over using the one in Rev 11 about God ruining those ruining the Earth as being to do with modern day polluters, his reply was "I know it isn't really, but it gets results in the DtoD work, so I want the Bros to use it".

They have no shame or integrity.

• Stealth
    Stealth

I was very fast at looking up scriptures.

After learning the TATT, I came to realize, look up scriptures fast does not equate to knowledge of those scriptures.

• Glander
    Glander

When a speaker would focus on a particular scripture to build his talk on, I would often look it up and read the surrounding verses to put it in context with what the speaker was getting at. Every once in a while I would find glaring missapplications of the featured text.

One of the more abused quotes was Peter saying, "but where will I go Lord?...only you have the sayings of...etc"

• Ding
    Ding

There is bound to be a lot of page turning, given that the WTS rarely quotes verses in context but rather hopscotches the Bible to "prove" their teachings.

One example of this is their equating "little flock" in Luke 12 with the 144,000 in Revelation 9.

Another example is their quoting of the first half of Ecclesiastes 9:5 while never quoting the second half of that verse or verse 6.

• Stealth
    Stealth

One of the first out of context scriptures that I noted was the one in Revelation 14. The WT claims the 144,000 is a literal number, yet when the same verses describe this group as 'virgins' who did not 'defile themselves with women' this part was not literal but figurative. How can it be both?

They pick and choose what they want even in the same verses. Guess the GB have a sexual need too, so that part didn't apply to them.

• BU2B
    BU2B

UGH GB sex. Can one imagine how boring that must be?

• BU2B
    BU2B

Has anyone else notice that at the DC they give the least time to look up scriptures? One time a brother behind me slammed down his Bible in frustration because he couldnt keep up and audibly said OH WHY EVEN BOTHER! LOL

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks for the locations you gave, jgnat. I don’t have a tablet or smartphone as of yet, but I will use these sites when the time comes. Back in the day when I gave TMS talks, I used to get commended for giving my listeners time to find a passage. It really wasn’t hard to do. I simply listened to the sound of people turning pages and soft as it was I knew when most people had located the scripture. That was when I would start reading.

Quendi

• Robert7
    Robert7

I think scripture lookup is all about perception/image, to look more 'Christian' and less cultish. JWs love to tout how they use their bible in meetings. They can all look so uber-spiritual by flipping to scriptures that have been read 1000 times, but it looks good because most churches in the world don't do this.

I attended a friend's church recently (just to support him, I'm an Atheist) and they had a screen displaying the scriptures as they were being quoted. Much more effective in my opinion, allowing people to focus on the talk, and not flipping pages. But the JWs think they have everything right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit