Did Jesus Use Gods Personal Name?

by Comatose 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Comatose
    Comatose

The WT says yes. I think no. I looked it up a few weeks ago and they said "we can be sure he used his fathers name". For me the argument is more just interesting from a biblical and academic stand point.

I would think if he used his personal name that was taboo, then the religious leaders would have complained loudly. It would seem to me that something like that would be important enough that one of the writers would have mentioned it as well. I just don't see it happening. It's annoying WT makes an assertion as if its a fact with no evidence to support it. But, then again, why would that surprise me!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WT says yes.

The name Jehovah is a 14th Century Catholic Translation Mistake..

The WBT$ is Run by Idiots..

...................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Comatose
    Comatose

yup. lol

But, I mean whatever his name actually was. Like Yahweh, or YHWH and similar. At that time it was considered taboo to use gods name I believe. So did Jesus buck the system and use it or did he not use it in order to appeal to people? Similar to signs saying "Religion is a Snare and a Racket". Those signs don't actually make anyone interested. They instead piss people off and attract attention. Well, would Jesus have used his dads personal name and angered people or bowed to the customs of the times in the hopes of being heard?

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

I would think if he used his personal name that was taboo, then the religious leaders would have complained loudly.

Comatose - Great point! If it were so important Jesus would have riled them up something fierce.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Right, and the bible says all the things that Jesus did to make them mad. Healing on sabbath, calling them names, etc. But, never says he used Gods name. I would imagine if he did something that shocking it would be mentioned in the bible...

• sspo
    sspo

Just read the New World Translation and you will notice that Jesus and the apostles NEVER used God's name.

The watchtower added it 232 times in the Greek scriptures.

Who is correct the GB or the apostles?

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

Who you gonna believe? The GB or your lyin' eyes!

• QC
    QC

@Comatose

Thousands of unearthed original Greek manuscripts say no. Jesus adheres to Mat 23:9

It has been discussed:

post 34

and here

pos t 31

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

God's personal name?????

Here is an opportunity for us to expand our minds; to go outside the box of limited thinking.

A “”name”” implies a limited, circumscribed, THING. A tiny piece within the universe.

Certainly the True Source of the infinite universe is greater still. No beginning, no end. Not separate from existence and life.

To name the Tao, is not the Tao.

• prologos
    prologos

ELI, why have you abandoned me? when dying.

I have made Your name manifest. in prayer. what name?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit