Gifts for C.O.'s and D.O.'s

by sosoconfused 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Does anyone else find it funny that the Circuit Overseers and District Overseers go to a new congregation every week, have all their bills paid and then for some odd reason the elders always find a way to give them extra money. On top of that there are atleast 10 families in every hall that give them a green handshake. Then the people who give them expensive gifts (I am ashamed to say I participated in this) like watches etc... yet these guys still act like they are giving up so much...

We had a Circuit Overseer who is now a District Overseer named Brown Payne... quite possibly the most arrogant, self-centered prick of a human you will ever meet in a circuit in NJ. One year the elder body decides to buy him a new coat on his visit. We take a collection and come up with money to get him a nice warm wool coat. There in the meeting it is brought out to him all of us smiling and he says, "I don't want this - I only wear leather..."

Now how can you possibly be picky and choosey when you recieve a gift from people who owe you nothing. These idiots actually returned it and got him one.

The kickbacks for these guys must be amazing

• sir82
    sir82

On the way hand, yeah, the ones assigned to a "plum" circuit make out like bandits - 10's of thousands of tax-free dollars every year, and all living expenses cared for.

On the other hand, the ones lower on the totem pole, assigned to South Dakota Circuit 2 (or wherever) where the biggest town has 5000 inhabitants and the congregations are a hundred miles apart....don't quite make out so well.

And neither of those guys has any Social Security or Medicare or pension plan to look forward to....they'll be CO's until they drop dead. No retirement - work until you keel over, even if it's at age 90 or higher.

So yeah, some guys make out, but it's really a crap shoot. I wouldn't want to switch places.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

What Sir82 said, if they get assigned to a well to do part of the U.S. then they can make a bundle. But I do think that it isnt just about the money with these guys. Its the power, they are so high on a power trip that its insane. Imagine getting to boss around elders, some of whom are older than you are, all the while they are sucking the CO's off to get assigned parts on assemblies, etc. Hey the clergy of JWs dont get paid so they need something to feed on.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

............they'll be CO's until they drop dead.

NOT (in the USA) if they have any health risks. WTS will send them out to pasture with some needy congregation. They are NOT going to pay for their healthcare. We are seeing all new young COs in our area. 30s and early 40s. Right out of the school or maybe on their 2nd or 3rd circuit. These are Company Men. By the Book (not speaking of the Bible). Hard liners. No more grandpa-like kindhearted COs.

Doc

• Comatose
    Comatose

I can't believe they went and swapped for leather. What a jerk wad.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

The worst DO we had was a arrogant little black man. One giant kind brother (who happened to be black) was outraged he got his house ready for this brother to stay for two weeks and the little DO stayed with a very rich brother twenty five miles from the place he was serving. Can you imagine how this brother felt when the DO never showed up and our kind brother had fixed him "one hell of a dinner, ( I know because I was on stand-bye when my dear brother called and said 'hey you hungry, come over because that District Craphead stood me up." we had a good time and this DO did not get a penny from everyone in our Circle. Oh, how mad as Hell we were, standing up a kind brother because the DO wanted to be at a home with a pool, jacuzzi, spa and other ammmenties (full bar.).

We had COs hit us up for things so tactfully by saying "it would be nice to have a new laptop, if any of the friends are inclined to help "wink wink wink". They suck!

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@Desirous - that is the route they have taken with one very loving sister in my hall. Her husband was a very prominent C.O. in NC.

They moved to Florida after he could no longer keep up the pace. They became "Special Pioneers" yet they no longer needed to actually get the hours. They just made sure he gave a million talks on almost every meeting. Of course the first few years everyone was so in love with them... but he died, and only his wife remained. No one really pays her any attention anymore, and she is a 80 something "special pioneer" who gets 20 hours a month in service and we would make a shepherding call on her every two months.

She seems sad all the time and she just walks about the hall aimlessly hoping someone will ask her about her old C.O. wife experiences - but truthfully no one cares anymore

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

The funniest one recently asked us for an old printer that we had in our storage room. He said he likes to tinker with things - fix them and then sell them on craigslist. Don't they have better things to do with thier time. He was also big into amatuer radio...

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

They have all the time in the world once you back out the "Poser Field Service" they do. How many of you went door-to-door with these men who wanted to kick it?

We drove around, I call it "Field Circles" because that's all we did was drive around in Circles around town!

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

The one C.O. that was great.. I loved him was Alonzo Hawkins... they guy was very intelligent and he made a fool of the elders in our hall when I was young. During one of his talks the elders were in the back discussing something.

He took off his glasses, crossed his arms and rested them on the podium. THe audience was so shocked... yet the 3 elders had no idea what was going on since they were so engrossed in conversation. He finally says, "What in the world are you brothers discussing during this meeting that is more important than the spiritual food being dispensed from the platform at this time???"

To watch those rats scurry in differnet directions was amazing. Surely that was also a testament to his arrogance but it was great. He was actually pretty well of though because he was previously an English professor and he had his own cash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit