Is Blind Obedience to group of men supported by Scripture?

by nugget 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Well thought out and well reasoned, Nugget! Humbled, that is how I feel, but you have put it in words and demonstrated it by an interesting example. Don't think the elders had much to say about that, except perhaps: Yes, but God and Jesus speak through the GB... Easy answer is: There is no evidence of that, rather evidence to the contrary. Reminds me of two scriptures that JWs love to quote:

In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said, We must obey God as ruler rather than men. (Act 5:29 NWT)

So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God. (Rom 14:12 NWT)

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

They "catch-all phrase" is "wait on Jehovah even if the Slave appears to be wrong or unBiblical!" If the Slave is being unBiblical, is that not a warning for us to call to mind Galatians 1, Revelation 2, Acts 17, Psalms 146:3, Acts 5:29?

If we were to free all the JWs were would they go? Would they feel they had no purpose in life and become greatly depressed even more than many of them are acting now?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Very well reasoned and well written Nugget ! Thank you. I am going to use this in future, if you do not mind, almost word for word, as I think presenting it to a JW who will read it cannot do harm, and may add to the discomfort they already feel about the the WT.

Whether they muster up the courage to leave is up to them, but I think it is vitally important they realise that the GB simply has no scriptural mandate.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Thanks for putting it so concisely, there are so many points in this that I want to digest, i just know that if I was questioned about my feelings on the matter there's NO WAY I'd be able to put it across so fluently, so eloquently, so reasonably.

Nice one!

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Excellent post. Simple and to the point. I am going to get some of my non JW family to use this with my JW family.

• amos77
    amos77

An example of blind obedience. When we left the org andhad a few hot discussions with my father (had been a JW for over 40 years by then) . Pointing out clear errors in the NWT buy actually using the Greek Interlinear". my poor old dad's reply?. "If the NWT is wrong, then Jehovah is a liar". I was so shocked at this blasphemy, I had nothing to say but made me realise the level of his indoctrination. Sad, Sad, Sad.

• nugget
    nugget

amos I fully relate to your experience. When I told my mother that the new member of the GB was the same age as me she turned round and told me he couldn't truly be annointed. I said but mum this man helps make the decisions about what you believe and is your faithful and discreet slave. If you do not follow the doctrine he feels is correct you will be deemed an apostate. Her response was "that's ok Jehovah will sort matters out in his own time."

Arguing with witnesses is mental torture.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Spot on nugget!

................................but you try telling the JWs that!

• nugget
    nugget

Punk of nice it is true that JWs do not listen they merely wait for a gap in the conversation to leap in. Only those who have active doubts will be willing to process the thoughts stated in my post. Itis truly sad that you can only see the religion for what it is when you are outside.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I often wonder about my reluctance to hear other viewpoints. Was I really like that?

I recall if I was offered evidence against the WBT$ I'd reject it as false and trust that Jehovah(TM) was with me.

What a sad bustard I was!

I mean my life has no meaning to me now....but then I had to force JW meaning into my life back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit