My name is Michael.

by new hope and happiness 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Research has shown that " generally" the best way to challenge someone is to use their first name

To me being addressed by my name " Michael" and addressing someone by their christian name is more friendly than using a title. I think it would also make it easier for Elders to accept someones different point of view if they referrd to the brother by therir Christian name. So.-

Do you agree with the above?

Do you think this is why the society likes us to adress each other as Brother or sister?

When did the society introduce this rule?

Thanks Brother Michael

• stillin
    stillin

The "brother" and "sister" thing was explained to me as a custom which connotes respect to each other. In modern times I feel that it has just become routine.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I preferred to use fore names even when doing Q&A from the platform.

• Fernando
    Fernando

As stillin says it has just become largely mindless ho-hum or routine.

However it is solidly and correctly based on all humans sharing one of two common spiritual parents.

The Watchtower correctly assert that their followers are not sons of God. (John 8:44)

This begs the question: "whom are they calling father"?

The answer is, our evil step-father Satan, the "god of religion". We all are born into his custody.

All who become believers on the otherhand become sons of (the) God (of Abraham), by spiritual adoption (Rom 8:14,15).

In reference to believer's "older brother" Jesus: "For both he who is sanctifying and those who are being sanctified all [stem] from one [father], and for this cause he is not ashamed to call them 'brothers' " (Hebrews 2:11)

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I think their is an element of removing WHO you are, you are all anonymous and you should all be factory moulds of what the bORG expect. The removal of the name and insertion of brother/sister implies a separation to everyone else in the world, an identity of their own. It is true that all religions do it, but they do it for the same reasons. Religions were doing it long before Watchtower.

have you seen Donnie Brascco (mafia film, true story) and the way they say ... He is a friend of ours..... Then he is one of us. The title brother/sister on baptism means 'you are in the club' and also 'boy have you just f**ked you life up!'

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew
    I think their is an element of removing WHO you are, you are all anonymous and you should all be factory moulds of what the bORG expect. The removal of the name and insertion of brother/sister implies a separation to everyone else in the world, an identity of their own.

Even as an outsider, I have to agree with Snare&Racket. Yes, other denominations do refer to each other as "brother" or "sister" so and so, however, they also refer to each other using the first name only. It certainly isn't mandated. I remember my JW friend's surprise when shown a Catholic flyer with a reference to "brothers and sisters in Christ" on it. Given what I'm hearing, these titles become a part of the person's name once a part of the congregation.

In his mind, a person with the title "brother" or "sister" was worthy of much more love and respect than a "Mr." or "Mrs."

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thanks for the replys.

Snareandracket i havnt seen the film, but i agree with your point. I always, always felt uncomftable with the term Brother or Sister. For me it impled we do not exist through ourself alone but through the W.T that shapes us, and influences our thinking.

Furthermore i remember how in book study the conductor used to call us by our christian names. I then remember an elder saying how he found it difficult to change to the term brother or sister, but the society had definately directed this change. I believe it was.-

A. inforced to take our individuality away

B So elders could assert control easier.eg " Michael can we see you for a chat" is much more friendly than" Brother ....... can we see you for a chat" thus takes away feelings of personal friendship.

• flipper
    flipper

NEW HOPE & HAPPINESS- Snare and Racket has it accurate and correct. The term brother/sister de-personalizes cult or religious members and different cults and religions DO this to minimize the importance of who you are individually. The point is - in the JW organization you or I don't really matter as an individual ( one reason our names aren't important ) but what matters is that we all conform to being titled brothers/sisters in order to show solidarity and unison with the WT Society and the organization.

Another thing I might add is Steve Hassan's books on mind control say that religions/cults also use the term brother/sister to REPLACE the importance of our REAL , fleshly family we were born into in order to MINIMIZE our human family we have and make the " brothers/sisters " inside the congregation MORE important than our real family. It's all designed to get you to show more allegiance to the WT organization than your real family. A very insidious , unethical thing to do in my opinion. It's one of the reasons JW's can shun people of their oWN family so easily because they've been trained or conditioned to put JW brothers/sisters first, family second or well behind

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Tittling people with either Brother and Sister first denotes a singular identifier as a recognized member of a group or organization.

Many religious organizations use this familiar tittling among their select members as to directly distinguish these people from non-members.

for example , I recently did some renovation work on a home owned by Mennonites, when people came by they quired whether or not we were Brothers

the answer usually came out that no we were not Brothers but worldly ones.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Welcome to the forum Michael, glad to have you here with us!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit