Another Newbie?

by DJS 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome to the forum, and so glad your kids are out with you!

I was "in" for over thirty years. I too went back to school, just receiving my degree in History this past December. I don't know if I'll be able to, but I'm attempting to get a teaching certificate and if I can hang together, teach History.

• DJS
    DJS

I was an elder for too long! About 4 years, which is all I could take. But a lot of things happen for a reason. Had I not become an elder I would likely have hung around the org. longer. Being an elder opened my eyes to the ego-centric behavior of the other elders and the obsessive need to control everyone by the old men in Brooklyn. My goal as an elder was to try and lighten the load on the "friends" by being less pharisaical, but I found out real quick that was a delusion. My congregation was considered to be a "loving" congregation in comparison to others and it was full of mean spirited power and control man elders.

• Ding
    Ding
    My goal as an elder was to try and lighten the load on the "friends" by being less pharisaical, but I found out real quick that was a delusion.

You sound a lot like Ray Franz.

• DJS
    DJS

Thank you all for your warm welcome and the kind words. I will take the Ray Franz comparison as a very large compliment. From what little I know of him (I did read Crisis of Conscience), he is an amazing man, gentle and truly humble. I don't understand how he kept a Christian faith after the JW experience, but otherwise I am not fit to untie his shoes.

• Ding
    Ding

I know some ex-elders who thought that the legalism and backbiting was a problem confined to their own congregation and maybe a few others.

They worked hard to make things better.

Then they realized that the whole WT organization operates this way.

It's a works-dependent system, where you can never do enough and are never good enough.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Welcome to the forum DJS!

Looking forward to future posts and thanks for dropping by

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • Hortensia
    Hortensia

Hi!

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

Welcome DJS!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DJS: After leaving the Borg I returned to college, finishing my undergraduate degree and getting a masters degree (MBA). My two beautiful children followed me out, and they are both very prosperous and happy and I remain stupid crazy close to both of them. I've lived an amazingly interesting life the past two decades away from the Borg - too much to put into one posting.

Welcome, this is fantastic!

You should share this, especially for the benefit of others that are lurking and afraid.

In particular, you should share what you did to get your kids out with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit