A NEW NAME

by EdenOne 20 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Hello all.

I wish to communicate that there has been a change in the name that identifies the community that I'm rousing. It used to be called "Christian Fraternity of Jehovah's People". From now on it will be called "Christian Fraternity of God's People". While I understand that, from the point of view of a Jehovah's Witness this may sound somewhat shocking, please hear my argument, that I've posted in a new paragraph within the "Mission Statement" section of the website:

---

The name of God in our worship

In the early days of this website, the name chosen was "Christian Fraternity of Jehovah's People". Why replace now Jehovah by God? Naturally, we're not replacing the person in question. Nor are we rejecting God's holy name, Jehovah, nor rejecting its use in worship. (Leviticus 11:44; Matthew 6:9) God's name and reputation should be esteemed and defended. Back in 1931, the Jehovah's Witnesses drew their name from Isaiah 43:10 - "You are my witnesses, is the utterance of Jehovah". However, the same passage says: "You are my witnesses, is the utterance of Jehovah, and I am God " (Isaiah 43:12) While "Jehovah" refers to the personal name, the persona , of our Creator, "God" is the total expression of his role. Our mission is not to uphold his personal name, but to uphold his sovereignty, his dignity, his rule, his fatherhood. Our Creator could have chosen any name for himself - Jehovah or other name - but there is no other term to describe his ranking or status. Only he is God, the One and only Most High, Almighty God. (Psalm 83:18) However, despite the great honor that unquestionably the Witnesses give to God's name - which we agree with - we too observe the Witnesses using God's name as if it were a brand, a trademark; as if the superstitious use of His name would grant a definitive seal of approval on everything they teach and do, thus exempting them from error or acknowledgment thereof. This, obviously, isn't true. Also, Jehovah is God "over all the earth." This means that he is God over every living thing, even those who do not acknowledge or respect his Name. (James 2:19) Therefore, by using the term "God" within the name we wish our fellowship to be identified by, we expresses a much more universal approach to the persona of Jehovah. We aren't confused about His distinct nature and superiority over Jesus Christ, although we recognize Christ's divine substance as Son of God, and that God has temporarily delegated in him "all authority in heaven and on the earth". (Matthew 28:18) However, we aren't "God's People Christian Fraternists" or anything like that. In compliance with God's word, we wish to simply be called Christians. - Acts 11:26

---

Eden

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The fact is that Christians were never instructed through the Greek Scriptures to be Witnesses of Jehovah, but rather, to be Witnesses of His son Jesus Christ. Hence the God-given name of "Christians". (Acts 11:26)

Clearly, J.F. Rutherford was doing a re-branding job after many of the Bible Students split because of his "obtaining" control of the Organisation, contrary to the wishes Russell had laid down in his Last Will & Testament.

The Israelite nation were Witnesses of Jehovah, (Isa. 43:10) but not so after the Messiah was revealed.

Matt. 10:18; Mark 13:9; Acts 1:8; John 1:15; John 5:37; John 8:18; John 15:26,27; Acts 10:39; Acts 10:43; Acts 11:26; Acts 13:31; Acts 22:15;

Acts 22:20; Acts 23:11; Acts 26:16; 1 Cor. 1:6; 1 Tim. 2:6,7; 2 Tim. 1:8; 1 John 5:9; Rev. 1:9; Revelation 12:17; Rev. 17:6; Rev. 19:10; Rev. 20:4 .

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Good point, Searcher

Eden

• cantleave
    cantleave

You seem to moving in the right direction. Before we know it, you will reject the idea of god altogether.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

You seem to moving in the right direction. Before we know it, you will reject the idea of god altogether.

LOL. Before you know it, you'll be paying me that black stout ;)

Eden

• *lost*
    *lost*

Eden One excellent.

I love your posts and ideas. I will now be able to give your site full support.

I hope it goes from strength to strength, and helps many to 'have someplace else to go' for truth.

regards

lost

• T D Joseph
    T D Joseph

I fully agree with you. This will help us not to be confused with superstitious JWs who are fanatical about God’s name. Their understanding of its meaning as “He causes to become” is confusing. It makes God responsible for whatever happens—for example an angel BECAME Satan. Who is responsible? It would mean God caused him to become Satan!?

But if we take traditional rendering, as in KJ translation: “And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you’” (Ex 3:14) it makes more sense. Here He himself shortens His name as “I AM.”

This is very simple to understand! Let us use a contrast now. When defrauded by someone, we say “he is not what he was,” meaning a change has now occurred in his character. But if we know someone as always faithful, we say “he is what he is, we can trust him.” Hence when God defined His name as “I am that I am” it has to do with His very basic character that will ALWAYS be there. What is He basically? And what is in Him that will NEVER change? Interestingly, Bible itself answers: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (James 1:17) Thus He is the source of all goodness, The Supreme Benefactor, who will NEVER change.—This has universal appeal (Compare also Bhagavat Gita 11:32, 33; 14:27.)

Therefore, God’s name means He is one who ALWAYS does good, hence The ULTIMATE GOOD. This helps us to understand better what Jesus declared: “NOBODY IS GOOD, EXCEPT ONE, GOD.” (Mark 10:18) Hence you have the support of Jesus himself, who was speaking ‘just as his Father taught him.’—John 8:28

[Also many people believe that the word GOD is the shortened form of GOOD. Whether this is true or not, it is a supplementary proof. Even if it is not true, that is how a word gets meaning]

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

...JWs who are fanatical about God's name.

Remember the prayers where the brother would say Jehovah 30 times in 15 seconds?

• T D Joseph
    T D Joseph

In addition to what I said above:

In sharp contrast to what JWs feels, Bible itself declares name is only a pointer, hence secondary; what is being pointed—His essence or goodness—is more important. (Ps 138:2) “The truth” about Him is always same—was, Is, and Will be—He was good, is good, and will be good!—Revelation 1:8

• *lost*
    *lost*

TDJoseph

excellent

Eden One - perhaps you might gather all the evidence and information into one concise piece,

at least then everyone one have the potential and ability to be able to research the subject easily,

and then decide for them self what they wish to do with the information.

I have noticed there is nowhere that has done this so far, and when you are searching, it it very hard to find,

and takes ages to gather all the bits and pieces. If I could of gone to one place where all the info was available,

it would of made things so much easier for me personally.

Also it may help others who have the same questions, theories, reasoning.

kind regards

lost

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit