So apparently I'm now a Secular Humanist

by Oubliette 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I was doing some research on the subject of Beliefs and Belief Systems when I came across an on-line survey/test that supposedly helps you determine which religion or philosophy is most like your current beliefs.

After answering the 20 questions the results were spit out! Tada!!!

Now I don't put too much stock in these on-line quizzes. They're not much different than the ones your wife takes in Cosmo that gets you into trouble because you're NOT the perfect man. Nevertheless, if you take them with a grain of salt, there is a certain amusement factor.

What was surprising was this: of the 27 religions/belief systems to which my responses were apparently compared, my responses were most unlike those of Jehovah's Witnesses. That's right, JW beliefs came in dead last, right behind Roman Catholicism at #26.

Interesting!

Your mileage may vary.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Apparently, I'm a Orthodox Quaker. I'll have to check them out, lol.

I don't get why I ranked 83% on Seventh Day Adventists....

Orthodox Quaker - Religious Society of Friends (100%)

Liberal Quakers - Religious Society of Friends (90%)

Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant (85%)

Seventh Day Adventist (83%)

Unitarian Universalism (77%)

Mainline - Liberal Christian Protestants (68%)

Hinduism (66%)

Eastern Orthodox (65%)

Roman Catholic (65%)

Mahayana Buddhism (59%)

New Age (59%)

Neo-Pagan (57%)

Christian Science Church of Christ, Scientist (54%)

New Thought (54%)

Jainism (47%)

Scientology (47%)

Taoism (46%)

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (42%)

Reform Judaism (41%)

Sikhism (38%)

Theravada Buddhism (38%)

Secular Humanism (36%)

Jehovahs Witness (35%)

Bahai (33%)

Islam (33%)

Orthodox Judaism (24%)

Non-theist (18%)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I'm a neo-pagan Jehovah's Witness. Just kidding! LOL.

I'm a secular humanist.

Roman Catholicism is bottom of the list (0%), #27

Jehovah's Witness is second to last (0%), #26

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

I'm apparently a Liberal Quaker, with JW ranking last at 17%. Interestingly, I retook the test with my JW hat on but I guess I got some answers wrong and so ended up as 100% Hasidic Jew. Must be all those meetings I missed.

• Think About It
    Think About It

My Jehovah's Witness rating was last at 0%. (LOL)

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

The test showed I am 100% Secular Humanist. 90% Non-Theist, 80% U.U. and the one I liked most 0% JW. Yeah!!!!! Totally ADD

• 5go
    5go

Unitarian Universalist after reading up on them I would agree. A close second was Secular Humanist. Neo-Pagan was fifth which made much more sense than third Liberal Quaker.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I was REFORMED Judaism.... Jehovah's Witness was last at 24% LOL

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Secular humanist, no surprise there.

I also took this test: http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=atheistphilo and the result was:

Secular humanist, tada!

• Mum
    Mum

I'm a secular humanist, too. Unitarian Universalist second. On another test, I was Unitarian Universalist.

Of all the religions on the list, the one that appeals to me the most is Taoism, but I scored 64%, so maybe I'm not as Taoist as I would like to believe. To me, the Tao is about reality and acceptance.

I scored pretty high on Quakerism, too. I've been reading Chesapeake by James Michener, which gives some good info about Quakers in colonial America. They were ahead of their time for sure. They were the first (not sure about that) to object to slavery and the first to free their slaves. Even when they had slaves, they taught them to read, and tried to accept them as full human beings, teaching them to read and caring about their families.

If you have not read the Tao Te-Ching, I strongly recommend it. It makes me feel centered and at peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit