What's Your Opinion Of The News Media?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My opinion of the news media ? Pretty low ....

It is all about ratings and in the commercial ones , advertising revenue. Britain has had a "phone hacking" scandal where the newspapers resorted to criminal means to get stories.

At least today there is a variety of sources, if you bother to turn to them.. The Internet is great and satelite tv brings foreign based stations. I often watch RT (Russian) and Al Jazeera...I miss the Iranian one that got removed... They are not unbiased but at least you can see their point of view

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The news appeals to the largest audience. They are competing for audience figures and not truth. For as long as that is the case, they will be bias according towhattickles the ears of the largest number of listeners/readers.

The newspapers in the UK are becoming more right wing by the month, anti immigration issues are being stirred in the public. Liberal papers are joining in too. Facts and figures seem secondary to spouting what people want to hear.

The papers blasted the health system this week, saying you have a greater risk of dying if you have surgery on a Friday compared to Monday. The suggestion between the lines was that doctors want to be off playing weekend golf and had that 'Friday' feeling. I had a patient tell me he heard that there was an 80% chance of dying of surgery on Friday. The truth is that surgeons postpone elective surgery of risky patients until Friday so that they can be given undivided attention over the weekend should anything go wrong. Been as the high risk patients are all booked at the end of the week, the mortality rate is higher. When one looks at the evidence, 8.2 per 1000 people undergoing operations on a Friday sadly die. But this is due to them being high risk patients. It always could be improved, but it is being taken out of context completely.

Always look stall the evidence yourself and make your own mind up, everyone else has motives and conformation bias, at least we know our own biases.

snare x

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I think news media is too large and diverse to categorize it in one class. My experience with the New York Times and the Washington Post with events that I witnessed or in which I played a role was that they were accurate. There are exceptions that scare people. Recently, I noticed that the Times went after Elliot Spitzer and Charlie Rangel. I believe they knew certain facts but could not publish the sources. When they report a weasal article, people came out of the woodwork with negative stories. Rangel had the gall to have several rent-controlled apartments in NY, an impossibility in theory.

My law school roommate came to national promiinence after an internationally reported disaster. I knew her personality was important to understand the story. She appeared on Larry King, the front pages of the New York Times,Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post. When we were in school, she was a publicity whore. She was a legend as an undergrad at Harvard and the law school for doing idiotic public appearances. She was going to compete in Miss America. I waited and waited for someone to come forward. Finally, I called the reporter for the Times and said I was shocked that the Times was not putting her remarks in context. She could be raising the correct points with the wrong personality. I had some short stunning examples but I did not want to use my roommate status to correct the record. He found the sources and added her personality trait to the series of articles. I felt bad for her as a person but she did force herself on a national news story.

The New Yorker did a lengthy piece on the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. It was not a fluff piece. The writer focused on tensions within the clergy. When I had some free time, I volunteered there daily and became friendly. I thought no one could easily understand the dynamics b/c it was driven by egos. It tooks me years to figure it out. I was shocked when I read the article. He reported details with such accuracy. I wonder how they do it.

I enjoy C-Span. There are numerous articles about online independent news reporting from regular consumers. The impact is clear. Whenever I need to follow a news story for professional or personal reasons, I read several newspapers.

NYC could not exist with only the New York Times. Its local coverage is uneven. Many times I had to purchase and walk around with a visible New York Post or Daily News. I remember when The New York Post was respectable.

Prominent people in the news generally will make personal comments about how a newspaper screwed them. I wanted to be a journalist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit