What's Your Opinion Of The News Media?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

journalism died with hunter thompson.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Minimus..... Are you Alex "I have the documents" Jones ?

• minimus
    minimus

Nope

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I always trusted the BBC and local stations to report a balance view of current affairs, news and events.

Silly me.

Anything our government do not want the wider general public to be aware of will not be reported!

There have been numerous demonstrations and protests every weekend recently against the Bedroom Tax, deaths because of austerity cuts , the breaking up and privatisation of the NHS and this last weekend the huge march against Monsanto, Margaret Thather having a state funeral, laws being pushed through secretly taking away our human rights and parliament has just given itself the right to hold trials in secret if deemed embarrassing to the governement or any of it's ministers and there is probably loads more that I am unaware of because they were not reported on.

The News media is a puppet of the government making people think they are well informed when in fact they are ignorant of almost everything if that is their only source of information.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Shame that big-city newspapers are dying a slow death. The one in my city just keeps shrinking, and shrinking, and shrinking. It's like watching a cancer patient slowly wither away.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Where to start.

Everytime they report on anything of which I have personal knowledge they've gotten it wrong. News organizations now exist to make money not to provide information. Most news reporters (esp TV) are ignorant of history, business, science, law or just about anything else. A local paper smeared my Dad about ten years ago, he won the resulting lawsuit. I think the problem is that most reporters are communications majors. They've learned how to smile for the camera and read off the teleprompter at the same time. This is in stark contrast to journalists, who learn how to find and analyze facts.

• Watkins
    Watkins

My opinion of media news sank to it's present basement level during the O.J. Simpson debacle. A small blip on the screen was what was going on in Africa - genocide/slaughter. But it was given so little coverage one was to assume something was being done to right the wrongs - but no. Crazy O.J. was covered every slow mile in his white SUV - a great 'news' day! Meanwhile, on the 'Dark Continent', innocent lives were being machetied... but it seemed like no one was watching... and it seemed like no one cared.

Hollywood's who's-getting-married, who's-getting-divorced, who's-pregnant, who's-cheating --- is NOT news. I think the media is the wagging tail of the flea-bitten dog it's attached to. impo. I always wonder when they fob that crap on us as 'news' that something awful is going on somewhere that they'd rather we didn't know about... something they'd rather not have our attention focused on. So --- what we get is Lindsay Lohan's latest DUI or Kardashian fashion tips --- which isn't really news. What they call 'fluff' is really gossip!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

I happen to think they are biased and I wonder if littlerockguy has a point. I have no use for most of the news reporting and watch very little of it.

Watkins:

I agree with you about the OJ nonsense. How dare they think that everybody wanted to just see this shit! I turned the damn TV off.

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

The rediculously extensive coverage on the Boston Bombing on all American news networks, especially CNN,

solidified in my mind how politically driven they really are. For about the three weeks following the bombing,

I didnt see a single different story being presented. they used that event and milked it till it was dry.

The Boston bombing was a terrible event and its sad that 3 people lost thier lives, that being said, 100 events

just as bad as that happen everyday around the world with little or no coverage from the American news networks.

It proves to me that most big news networks are there for entertainment, fear, and control purposes. The only way

to remedy this problem is simply: multiplicity! We now have thousands of sources for news, the more sources we

use and take note of, the more easily we can detect bullshit. Once these networks realize that the people are no

longer ignorant and willing to be spoon fed garbage, if they want to survive, they must change thier methods.

• minimus
    minimus

It seems we agree that they aren't all that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit