School and Jehovah's Witness brochure from 1983...

by Joliette 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

Does anyone know where I can find this? Is there a PDF version of it anywhere to be found?

• Mary
    Mary

I think I've got a copy downstairs somewhere but I'm not quite sure. Check Randy Watter's website (Freeminds.org) or jwfacts.com to see if they've got it.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I went on amazon.com and they had it for $99.50. Dont think I'll be buying that! LOL. I went on Randy's website didnt see it. Wanted to do a youtube video on it.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Man, that brochure was from the devil himself. What a bunch of youth/fun-robbing garbage in those pages.

• diamondiiz
  • Joliette
    Joliette

@ Cult classic, it was! Thank goodness I still got involved in school and I didnt listen to that crap. But I did feel gulity.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Ouch...

That came out a year or two before we started attending... pisses me off.

Stuff I was into that stopped.

Boy Scouts

Band

Drama

Soccer

Hockey

It pisses me off more now than it did then. The 'truth' hadn't grown trite yet... oh but it did... it did.

Dropping Drama disspoints me the most at the moment when I look back. I should have been Mike Myers... that bastard has my life!

<--- Victim (yes, I can do it well).

• cantleave
    cantleave

That was one the tools that robbed me of a normal childhood

• sir82
    sir82

That brochure put the kibosh on high school proms in the USA.

In our area at least, going to prom was perfectly fine - as long as you went with a fellow JW. Children of elders, pioneers, etc. - if they were somewhat popluar, they went.

Obviously, within the same high school, the JW "pickings" would most likely be pretty slim.

But every year, like clockwork, beginning around March or so, gaggles of teenage boys (and sometimes girls) would travel to a different congregation each Sunday, "scouting" for potential prom dates.

Does anybody else remember that?

Anyways, in 1983 that brochure came out, saying "Jehovah's Witnesses do not go to proms", and zappo! Another JW tradition was slammed to the concrete.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Dimondiz thank you so much. I'm gonna do a youtube video on this sometime in the future.

Thank y'all for your comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit