Should I send this letter to my non-JW cousin who refuses to listen to ANY criticism of our JW relatives?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• besty
    besty

candace conti - didn;t the trial judge rule that the WTS (not the offender) had acted maliciously?

http://jwleaks.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/candace-conti-v-watchtower-jury-trial-day-9-june-13-2012-pdf.pdf

One of the reasons we left was our strong conviction that our children were more at risk than neccessary from a combination of child abuse policies and blood doctrine leading to religiously sanctioned medical infanticide.

Later we found out that not only was the no-blood policy not biblically based, the WTS also misrepresented medical facts in an intellectually dishonest way to bolster their so-called religious doctrine.

http://www.jwfacts.com/pdf/blood-misrepresented-2005-kerry-louderback-wood.pdf

Maybe try some factual based stuff with your relative - nobody likes to take a position siding with child abusers...

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

"Time out!" says the life-long non-jw. I totally respect your intentions but given their perceptions and belief systems with respect to railing against other denominations coupled with their ignorance of the formation and doctrines of the organization, they are unable to hear you from this direction. If someone quoted these scriptures, I'd really side with the JWs!

Do you want to know what elements woke me up? :)

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

The WT Org. is a very dangerous cult that is killing in the name of God. Of course, they don't need physical weapons to do that -- their disfellowshipping policies alone are often as effective as the electric chair.

For this reason, I believe I have a social responsibility to warn as many as possible about what goes on inside the Organization. Complacency is simply not an option when so many lives, families, are at stake. Like many others who contribute to this site, they put me through hell, and I don't want one person more to have to suffer as I did. Thankfully, I got out of that hostage situation without the loss of any family members (I was the only JW), but many do not, and this has often led to tragic consequences. I realize I am not going to change the world by warning others, but if I can help even one person avoid potential death by disfellowshipping, I will be accomplishing something noble and worthwhile.

With that in mind, should you send your letter? By all means, as far as I'm concerned! However, I do agree with some of the others that a different strategy is needed because a defensive response is likely if you send it as is. Do you know of anyone that can help you revise it so that a light bulb goes on (hopefully) rather than her thinking faculties switching off? Either way, PLEASE don't rush it. Carefully think about the things that matter most to your cousin then use this information to develop an approach that will have the greatest chance of success in reaching her.

You are to be commended for caring enough to do something about what you know is terribly wrong. In the end, whether you reach your cousin or not, at least you did your part to sound the warning about the many social injustices that are being committed by the WT Org. on a daily basis.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

So, as a life-long non-jw, I'd like to give you my unsolicited advice. Your approach ain't gonna work.

In our world, there is a serious disdain for individuals who rail against other denominations, ESPECIALLY those under the domain name of "Christian". Romans 14 is taken quite literally.

If you want to get a non-jws attention with respect to the inner-workings of the real WTS a different approach is necessary for that which is important to JWs may not be important to non-JWs.

For starters, telling non-JWs that JWs don't see anybody BUT JWs as being loved by God ought to get some attention. LOL

• steve2
    steve2

Penelope1, I'm afraid if I were still a JW your fervent manner would be very off-putting. Please realize that many here respond far more favorably to lower-key, less full-on approaches, perhaps best exemplified by the very humble Ray Franz. The panicked mentality that operates in emergency mode is far too reminiscent of the JW approach. Panic and fear-mongering are perhaps the very worst motivators for clear, rational thinking.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Steve is right.

I assure you, though, given our position on not condemning other's beliefs, showing your non-jw relatives how their beliefs are condemned in the WTS would actually go much further.

I had no idea JWs thought my form of worship was of Satan. I thought they just had a different perspective. Telling me I'm completely led by evil? That's a whole different level of insult!

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

How about not telling the non JW nothing about JW...or at least about the other relatives. Do you really know how the feel about their faith? (remember you starting out doubting without openly expressing your feelings.

The only thing you can discuss honestly is why you discontinued your belief in the religion.

As many stated above...many non JW believe all religions are of God...you just choose a different way of expressing your worship.

The best way to show your non JW and JW relatives that the WTBS is a lie is by living well...that's the best way to let them know.

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

Dear Steve2,

I'm a bit put off that you have accused me of fear-mongering. Can you be more specific about that please? Is it not true that "God's organization on earth" is leaving behind a trail of tears, a trail of broken families, broken lives(including many children who have been sexually abused) mental and emotional problems, suicides, etc.? I was a jw for nearly twenty years so i speak from experience my friend. But hey, don't take my word for it; research these things yourself.

To imply that i should be more "soft" in communicating these matters is far worse than the fear-mongering you accuse me of; in fact, considering the reality of what is taking place within the Org., I find it shameful.

I will not stop speaking the TRUTH (very differerent from fear-mongering) until: 1. there are no more human fatalities at the hands of the Watchtower Org 2. child abuse policies change in favor of the children, not the pedophiles 3. WT Disfellowing policies are no longer used a weapon 4. the flat-out lies and propaganda are silenced.

Lastly, and maybe you missed this part--i did not tell the gentleman what to put in his letter; rather, i stated that i felt he should send it and gave my reasons why. Ephesians 4:25a

Sincerely,

Penelope1

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

This is for you steve2...Mr. Reeder was a contributor to this site at one time; that is, before he took his own life as a result of being shunned by his family. One "death by disfellowshipping" is one too many in my book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67A0Imd6dng

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

Here's one more for you steve2 so that there is no question as to who the REAL fear mongerers are....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcQ4IqRKlM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit