Should I send this letter to my non-JW cousin who refuses to listen to ANY criticism of our JW relatives?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Some background here; Non-JW family members who are overly RESPECTFUL and PROTECTIVE of the JW's.

I thought I might try a completely different tactic. What are your views on my letter below? I thought I'd let it sit with her for a couple of weeks or more before following it up . . . .

My dear cousin,

More than once you've scolded me for even hinting at a criticism of the Jehovah's Witnesses in our family. You say that if I choose to 'rock the boat' it will be MY responsibilty that the family will become divided - even though it is not I who advocates or practises shunning. You've said that of all the religions you've come into contact with that theirs is the best. The best morals, the best community of friends and the nicest people you know.

I wonder why, in the course of your 45 years, you've never cared to join them?

Anyway, the truth is you've been misled by the Witnesses in our family, fooled I would say. The time has passed for me to be 'tactful' in everything I say so I'm just going to be blunt and tell it to you like it really is. Even though I hold the Bible in no regard, I've supplied a few verses because I know Scripture is important to you. No apologies.

Cousin, Jehovah's Witnesses are like 'ravenous wolves,'out to devour trusting members of other religions, destroying their faith to replace it with what they call 'The Truth'.—Matt. 7:15; 2 Tim. 2:18.

How do these false teachers in our family operate? Their methods reveal a cunning spirit. Jehovah's Witnesses 'quietly bring in' corruptive ideas. Like smugglers, they operate in a clandestine manner, subtly introducing heretical views. And just as a clever forger tries to pass phony documents, so Jehovah's Witnesses use 'counterfeit words,' or false arguments, trying to pass their fabricated views as if they were true. They spread 'deceptive teachings,' 'twisting . . . the Scriptures' to fit their own ideas. (2 Pet. 2:1, 3, 13; 3:16) Clearly, Jehovah's Witnesses do not have our best interests at heart. Following them would only divert us from the real life to an endless road chasing a dream of eternal life.

How can we protect ourselves against these false teachers? The Bible’s counsel regarding how to deal with them is clear. 'Avoid them,' it says in the Bible. Other translations render that phrase 'turn away from them,' 'keep away from them,' and 'stay away from them!' There's nothing ambiguous about that scriptural counsel.

Suppose a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease. You'd know what the doctor means, and you'd strictly heed his warning. Well, Jehovah's Witnesses are 'mentally diseased,' and they seek to infect others with their divisive teachings. (1 Tim. 6:3, 4) God, who you still believe in cousin, tells us to avoid contact with them. Do you think you know better than God?

I'm writing with love,

Yours . . . .

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

U se the quote from Luke 17:23:

A nd they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.

A nd Luke 21:8:

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Turning JW words directly against them . How appropriate .

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi nicolaou, Does your aunt like to read or research information? If she does, how about sending your aunt "Crisis of Conscience" by Raymond Franz? You could give it to her by saying that you respect her views about JWs and wanted to learn more about it from a former Watchtower Governing Body member, who is now dead. What is her opinion about "Crisis of Conscience".

Unless your aunt has been offended by JWs, I doubt that she will be able to see how WTBTS's BITE control techniques victimize JWs from your letter. The best that you can hope is to get your aunt to critically think for herself to see past the JW facade.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Watkins
    Watkins

My off-hand advice:

If your aunt 'holds the Bible in regard', then telling her you don't is a sign for her to dismiss anything you say about how you've applied those verses.

Don't criticize the people - who are, in most cases, very sincere in trying to "please Jehovah". But attack away at the wt which teaches all those un-biblical things. If you can demonstrate that the wt is wrong and is misleading it's adherants you might make some head-way. But attacking the individuals whom your aunt respects is the wrong tactic, imo. And don't attack your aunt for never joining them - thank goodness she didn't or you wouldn't even have her to talk to! She has, however, been misled by others who are also misled... people can be good or bad, regardless of their religious training.

Start a new draft with those things in mind - out of love and not out of anger(tho' I very well understand the anger :( ) and see how that goes?

Wishing you well - watkins

• Watkins
    Watkins

I'm sorry - COUSIN, not aunt... duh...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

nicolaou:

I know it must be frustrating to have people see JWs as innocent and you as the "bad guy" because you are trying to expose them. They have never seen the bad side of this damaging religion.

Unfortunately, no letter could convey what you know and it would only sound like sour grapes, so I don't see the sense of sending it.

The only thing that might possibly work is if you were somewhat friendly with this person and were able to have an actual conversation under the right conditions (possibly with somebody disgruntled with the JWs).

I feel equally frustrated with some people I know who are inactive children of JWs. These people were never really there and they flew under the radar their whole lives. Unfortunately, they don't have the vaguest idea of what the religion is REALLY all about and it makes me sick when I hear them defend it or their parent(s) who were active in it.....Meanwhile, they never wanted anything to do with it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Well the idea was, of course, to provoke a reaction. "How could I be so rude and offensive about my own family!"

Then the reveal . . .

• irondork
    irondork

Very clever, Nicolaou.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

nicolaou - question: would it make any difference?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit