Corporate influence in the public arena

by Hortensia 26 Replies latest social current

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Gee, name-calling in less than 10 posts!

I believe that corporate contributions to politicians is bad for the public. I think that corporate contributions to public television skews what can be shown on public television. This is a nation of, by and for corporations. It ain't good, that's for damn sure.

What would I do? Make paid lobbyists illegal. Don't allow political parties to accept donations larger than $100.00. Have central funding for political campaigns, money divided among all qualifying groups, so that people don't donate to a specific party, but to a specific campaign such as the presidential race. I'm not sure what kind of qualification, though. That needs some thinking -- maybe a specific number of unique signatures supporting your candidacy.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Hey Beks! Only 87 more posts to 4000. You in?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I believe that corporate contributions to politicians is bad for the public. I think that corporate contributions to public television skews what can be shown on public television. This is a nation of, by and for corporations. It ain't good, that's for damn sure.
    What would I do? Make paid lobbyists illegal.

I agree completely Hortensia. But Burn is still a nitwit.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Hey Beks! Only 87 more posts to 4000. You in?

Not tonight Sooner! Save it for Friday.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Oh no no no! You said "nitwits"! That's nitwits not nitwit. Give credit where credit is due Sweetypie.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Not tonight Sooner! Save it for Friday.

You got it! It's a date! I'll bring the beer!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What is wrong with Alinsky? Rules for Radicals inspires me and I am a capitalist tool -- to quote Malcom Forbes who lived down the street. It seems some far right winger is always casting negative aspersions without explaining the basis for this hatred. It is news to others. Don't assume that everyone shares your world view. I certainly do not.

If you have written, Alinsky, the radical organizer... that would be fair.

I don't start a thread "George W. Bush, moron extraordinare." or "Reagan- clearly had Alzheimer's disease while governor of California." Your assumptions are not shared. I doubt if members from other countries care about Alinsky. Are you using "Alinsky" to show your contempt for an honorable American tradition?

• soontobe
    soontobe
    If you have written, Alinsky, the radical organizer... that would be fair.

But I didn't write Alinsky the anything. I just used Alinsky as an adjective for what the producers of this film are doing (and past coproducers with Michael Moore which tends to shoot their credibility to hell), and who is famously known for coming up with a set of guidelines for cynically manipulating public opinion. And I stand by that.

But yes, I hold contempt for Alinsky. And if it is now considered American tradition, I hold that in contempt as well.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love public broadcasting. Charlie Rose sustains me. After the Karadashians, he is most welcome. The PBS Newshour is wonderful. I support public radio and television. I'm also a C-Span buff.

Where else would people turn to for children's programming, news, and information? The networks only care about commerical ends.

I cannot begin to understand what is wrong with public programming. Children can watch the crap on commercial tv or programs such as Sesame Street. What a difference! The best rock shows are on PBS. Many people have no other access to the arts, such as ballet and opera. I recall watching "Nixon in Red China" on PBS recently.

Washington Journal on C-Span is tons more informative than CBS This Morning, Today, or Good Morning America. Not everyone has access to the East or West coast.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia
    "George W. Bush, moron extraordinare." or "Reagan- clearly had Alzheimer's disease while governor of California."

haha! Love it. I agree with both of these ideas, by the way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit