WORF

SAYS

946 in attendance

a grand total of 3 were baptized

A according to the society's goal of 1% of attendance
    it should have been 9 or 10 folks

being that the Service dept are OBSESSED WITH NUMBERS

this translates into almost a 300% drop in baptisms

Does anyone recall those public talks where the wt talks about the WATERS DRYING UP IN REV in ref to the church membership dropping

well you got to love it

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I recall the Dub Assembly Hall in Greenpoint NY...

There was a saying I heard in NYC while I was growin' up - "If everyone went to college, who would clean the fish?" I guess this was intended to make the fish cleaners feel on par with their collegiate cousins. I doubt that it was effective.

As I slip into fuddyduddy-hood, I begin to think that today's kids have it EASY.

Today kids go to "college" to get a certificate saying that they know what TCP/IP means; they don't know an ohm from a watt from a who. They're pretty certain that Canada is near Spain and that Columbus was a Soviet Cosmonaut. They believe the TV show "Crossing Over" is for real. At their part time job at Mcdonald's, they'll tell you that you can't have a dozen chicken strips because they only come in boxes of six or nine. If the calculator/register breaks down they cannot figure out how to make change... but I digress.

Or maybe they emerge from "college" with a Master's degree in "Hotel Services."

"Welcome to the Megiddo Hyatt, I'm Doctor Boopsie, PHD. Did you have a reservation with us today?"

Do you think our college sister in Brooklyn is studyiing COSMOLOGY or COSMETOLOGY?

• SYN
    SYN

Nathan Natas: Great post. Being a 'young people' myself, I find it quite appalling when people my age have to pay huge amounts of $$$ for training courses (esp. IT stuff) that they could have learnt free by entering a few search terms in Google. My entire career at this point is forged on hard work I did completely on my own, with no help except from a handful of people on the Web and some nice, thick programming books. You've gotta motivate, then you'll get where you wanna go.

It really is such an amazingly beautiful series of interlocking systems that comprise what a human is. It's too bad we're working backwards from the object code, everything would be simpler with the source and a comment or three thrown in.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Hi, worf!

My wife is from Flatbush and I've been to that assembly hall quite a few times. 946 is a small amount for that assembly hall.

My wife used to go to Park Circle.

worf- Feel free to e-mail me if you are from the area and we can talk more.

• Moxy
    Moxy

hey, what *does* happen at an assembly where there are NONE baptized? do they still have the talk. it seems like every CA & SAD around here has about 3 these days, sometime more, sometimes just one or two but never zero. ive never heard of a zero altho im sure it must happen a lot.

mox

• Xander
    Xander

Nathan and SYN:

Since you both are blasting the current college education system, I'm assuming you are both currently enrolled in courses?

No?

Didn't think so. It's still hard, and as someone working full time while trying to get a degree (full time courses), I'd appreciate you not talking out of your asses on this topic.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If a discussion of college deadheads strikes a little too close to home, Xander, perhaps you should spend more time on your studies.

I didn't say ALL college studients were idiots - only YOU.

• Xander
    Xander

Today kids go to "college" to get a certificate saying that they know what TCP/IP means
    With respect, I think you'll find that if that's all you know, you will find yourself flunking out of any modern college.

They're pretty certain that Canada is near Spain and that Columbus was a Soviet Cosmonaut
    I challenge you to find ONE college graduate ANYWHERE in this country that could even be convinced of either of those things.

They believe the TV show "Crossing Over" is for real
    Oh, c'mon, no one believes that.

Or maybe they emerge from "college" with a Master's degree in "Hotel Services."
    Find me a college offering Master's degrees in 'Hotel Services'. Sorry, there aren't any...

Thanks, but I've heard just enough people belittling college education while I was in the borg.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was at a C/Ass where the grand total of 2 were baptised.
    Anybody beat that?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I remember at our assembly day last month, almost all of the young people interviewed used the term, "2-year college" as opposed to 4-year college or more. It was very obvious, by the context, that a 2-year degree was okay, but a 4-year or more was frowned upon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit