ORGANIZATION ADMITS TO A FALSE PROPHESY!

by new boy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Lots and lots of hair-splitting going on here.

For those of you who were not in the Borg then, let me say that - having been there - everyone knew exactly what was meant. They knew the original statements upon which all this was based that appeared in a new book released at the summer assemblies that year, 1966, "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God."

"The evidence is in," cackled Freddy, "all of it." Ooops, later he had to invent a way to stretch out the time with that "don't know how long it was between the creation of Adam till the creation of Eve" nonsense. Freddy was nothing if not slick. Even if he was senile. And he was that too.

To show how plain it was put, I was in the KH with a non-witness girl I was dating at the time when my uncle, the overseer, got up to review the publication with the congregation. After it was over, the girl turned to me and said, "So your religion is saying the world is going to come to an end in 1975?" Well, yes, that's pretty much what they're saying. Fairly obvious even to a non-JW. Never did see HER again.

And not only were they saying it, ALL WITNESSES had to accept it. And not only accept it, but to preach it from door-to-door. As usual, if you didn't buy it and said so, you were dipping yourself in liquid shit with the local "servants." And there is vastly more. All the small statements in the WT and Awake, and in service meeting talks, ministry school parts, public talks, you name it. IT was coming, by God, and you'd better believe it.

We heard about people selling their homes and going into the pioneer work. "What a wonderful way to spend the last few years in this old system," (or words to that effect) crowed the MS publication. "Weeks or months, not years," they said. And taken in THE CONTEXT OF THE TIMES, it meant something totally different than it looks in cold black and white on this page. Dissect the commas and the qualifiers all you want. You can't dissect away the truth of the matter AT THE TIME.

One of the elders in my congregation later got himself a status license plate that read simply: 1975.

An elder here in Savannah borrowed $50,000 dollars on the equity in his home and splurged on a world tour with his family, secure in the knowledge that he'd never have to pay it back. He's way past retirement age now, old and tired, but he can't retire because he's STILL paying back the fifty large.

And the WTBTS continued poking the fire in its publications, and in visits by the CO. The sense of excitement and expectation was palpable. And BY GOD you'd better believe it and teach it, too. Or your ass would be on the outside looking in. And they weren't bashful about saying so, either. IF you had a problem taking the WT door to door, the one that headlined "Why are you looking forward to 1975," you'd get a visit in the little room, or the JC would drop by your home uninvited to "adjust your thinking." Assholes weren't qualified to adjust the water heater and here they are to work on your psychological makeup.

This phenomena was no misunderstanding on the part of the publishers, as the lying bastards on the GB tried to claim when it didn't happen in 1975 as they THEY said it would. That was nothing but the old dodge known as "blame the victim." Just exactly like the Nazis, the JWs spiritual forebears and exemplars, did. It was the JEW'S fault that the Nazis threw them in the street and then gassed, shot, poisoned, and worked them to death. The JEWS brought it on themselves. And so had the publishers. Big misunderstanding. The publishers brought it on themselves.

In a pig's ass they did.

You folks can split hairs over who said what and how many times "may" appeared in some arcane sentence if you want. I was there through it all, and the GB itself was and is totally, utterly, irrevocably responsible for the entire scam.

Things look differently from the perspective of a few years, but those of us who were there don't need to dissect sentences.

Just like those who were giving their lives in WW II have a different perspective on dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki than all the armchair generals with their leftist leanings today second guessing what people did in the heat of war half a century ago.

That's enough from me and is my $0.02 for today AND tomorrow.

Francois

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I guess I will be ranting but here goes anyway.
    A grain of salt please!

I was around during that time and old enough to remember it well.
    As for calling it an "Actual" prophecy, I never heard that.

What I did hear was a lot of people going off on a rant and jumping to conclusions because of what some ass hole, who had no business opening his mouth in the first place, said such a ridicules stupid thing.

A "Truly" anointed person with an open line of communication to God would have known better then to make a statement like that KNOWING once it left his mouth there would be no going back.

UNLESS! God was just playing a practical joke on him. God's since of humor would be of course superior to men. Maybe all the angles are in heaven STILL laughing their Asses off at how stupid we are.

Anybody that wants to can look at this and be reasonable. It's a NO-WIN situation. Always has been.

I feel bad for those who believed that 1975 was the year of Armageddon. I had friends that not only lost their homes and life savings but marriages broke up over it.
    I didn't even finish school! Why bother?
    I ended up on my own still a teenager and with an 8th grade education
    Got pregnant and started supporting a family.

I didn't go back to school until I got away from my husband. I was in my 30's going BACK! To High School. Working three part time jobs, sharing room and board and I'm STILL in college.

We need to take some responsibility for what we allow our selves to believe.

There is NO SUCH thing nor has there EVER been or EVER will be a DATE! Any one who says different is in MY opinion is a liar.

And any one anointed with enough holy spirit to know more then the rest of us would not be so stupid as to suggest a date that Armageddon MIGHT arrive prophecy or not.

I need to hurry up I want to get to the theater before matinee ends.

No matter how thin you slice it there are always two sides
  • Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks TD for bringing in the entire context of the quote. Francois, you point about hoe we knew exactly what this meant is right on!

The context here is not built on the word "may" as the moderator, but on this: "Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), ... " THIS is the statement I would have used as a JW prior to 1975 to make the point that we could be wrong.

WRONG ABOUT WHAT?: This: The Watchtower Society was ONLY moderating the EXACTNESS of their chronology! In other words, it MAY or POSSIBLY MIGHT come in the AUTUMN of that year, but if in error it is only weeks or months!

As Francios stated, EVERYONE knew what that meant!

Guest77: What Newboy was doing is showing how the Society's own literature in that same very time period makes them a false prophet according to their own standards ... oddly enough, the October 8, 1968 Awake! that Newboy quotes also reiterates the 1975 prediction ... it is the first JW magazine I read, and was the inducement for me to pursue being a JW.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Perhaps it did happen in 1975?

Haven't we got 1,000 years to 'clean up the earth'?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Just had an interesting thought. What if we WERE the faithful ones, and God has placed Dubs on the Earth to test us during the 1K year reign of Christ?

I know, I know, it's bloody ridiculous...flame on!

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• Farkel
    Farkel

gravedancer,

Let's look at those statements another way:

"Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? POSSIBLY...It MAY involve only a differrnce of weeks or months, NOT years."

Both statements are in the same paragraph and both statements clearly refer to 1975. You're with me so far? The second sentence starts out with "possibly." Possibly what? Obviously, it means "possibly in the AUTUMN of 1975" since that and Armageddon is the topic of the paragraph. So that "possibly" could only mean it might not happen in 1975. It could happen before 1975 or after 1975. If it happened before 1975, we'd all be dead and this discussion would not be going on. That only leaves AFTER 1975. Well, how much AFTER the autumn of 1975 is Fred Franz speculating about? I'll tell you: "It MAY involve only a differrnce of weeks or months, NOT years."

Franz is saying it could happen months after 1975. Four months after the autumn of 1975 would be the year 1976, but it would only be a few months. Then Franz clearly and I mean CLEARLY stated it would NOT be years after 1975.

Yes, as has been pointed out, it was very slippery, but Franz was always very slippery. The intent to whip up frenzy about 1975 was evident and anyone with half-a-brain reading those statements would never believe anything other than the fact that the WTS taught Armageddon would happen in the Autumn of 1975 or a few weeks or months shortly thereafter, not YEARS thereafter.

Farkel

• JT
    JT

j

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hey; Gravedancer...we're echoing - sounds like you're posting from the toilet too..don't forget to hang on to your laptop when you wipe ...OI!Get back in there and WASH YOUR HANDS!

• TD
    TD

Maybe I should have been more specific. Most seem to be overlooking the "escape hatch" built into this particular quote.

The statement:

"It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."
    ...was specifically made only in reference to the chronology designating 1975 as 6,000 years since the creation of Adam.

When it came to whether the next 1,000 years of human existence (the 7th millennium, ostensibly beginning in the fall of 1975) would actually correspond to the 1000 year period of Revelation 20 or not, the quote openly hedges, stating "If these two periods run parallel..."

Without this necessary synchronization the, "...difference of weeks or months, not years" phrase cannot be directly tied to Christ's reign --and this is not hairsplitting, it's simple English.

Please understand that I am not trying to defend the WTB&TS/CCJW here. I was a gung-ho Witness in my early 20’s at the time, and I know what was said from the platform as well as anyone. Further, it's certainly true that they made quite a number of statements that strongly implied that these 1000- year periods really would coincide.

Like this:

“This seventh day, God's rest day, has progressed nearly 6,000 years, and there is still the 1,000-year reign of Christ to go before its end. (Rev. 20:3, 7)”

“Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. From the most reliable investigations of Bible chronology, harmonizing with many accepted dates of secular history, we find that Adam was created in the autumn of the year 4026 B.C.E. Sometime in that year Eve could well have been created, directly after which God's rest day commenced.” Awake! October 8, 1966 p19,20

……and this

Therefore, God's seventh day and the time man has been on earth apparently run parallel. To calculate where man is in the stream of time relative to God's seventh day of 7,000 years, we need to determine how long a time has elapsed from the year of Adam and Eve's creation in 4026 B.C.E. “

After 6,000 years of misery, toil, trouble, sickness and death under Satan’s rule, mankind is indeed in dire need of relief, a rest. The seventh day of the Jewish week, the sabbath, would well picture the final 1,000-year reign of God’s kingdom under Christ when mankind would be uplifted from 6,000 years of sin and death. (Rev. 20:6)” The Watchtower May 1, 1968 p271

……and this

“In order for the Lord Jesus Christ to be "Lord even of the sabbath day," his thousand-year reign would have to be the seventh in a series of thousand-year periods or millenniums.” The Approaching Peace of a Thousand Years p.26)

Nevertheless, it takes a Watchtoweresque use of ellipses to prove the charge of “False Prophecy” with one quote alone.

Tom

• hooberus
    hooberus

Read my post "False Prophecy Double Standards" under "beliefs doctrines, practices"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit