ORGANIZATION ADMITS TO A FALSE PROPHESY!

by new boy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

"Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? POSSIBLY...It may involve only a differrnce of weeks or months, NOT years."

truth from the WT [8/15/1968,p.499]

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world,' even announcing a specific date...The 'end' DID NOT come. They were guilty of FALSE PROPHESYING...Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them"

THE REAL TRUTH FROM the "awake" [10/8/1968,p.23]

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

I have read this many times...and actually to be honest I struggle with it according to strict interperetation.

Lets look at it:

you said:

Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? POSSIBLY...It may involve only a differrnce of weeks or months, NOT years.
    lets look at the operative word here:
    Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? POSSIBLY...It MAY involve only a differrnce of weeks or months, NOT years.
    Back then it MAY have come in 1975...NOT years....MAY MAY MAY

does this mean I will defend the WTBS....NO WAY. But if I was a JW I would certainly show you the word "MAY" and say that we were simply encouraging alertness....

They are a slippery bunch of snakes...

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Sorry, I see nothing saying the org. admits to false prophecy.

Guest 77

• DIM
    DIM

very misleading subject line. false, in fact.

you are playing the JW game, by going from one quote to the next. get a life man! isn't that what JW's do? tie together a million different scriptures to prove a point?

• termite 35
    termite 35

Oh, be fair you lot!I think that although the title does not,perhaps ,fit the thread;they're still damning themselves from their own mouths.I have been told very sharply that the ones who left the org after 1975 were weak and adulterous as they sought a date and wore out ,blah,blah,blah and that the society NEVER predicted the end near 1975 etc.I can certainly use these quotes at my door if they dare to call on me again.Nice one Newboy!

• termite 35
    termite 35

Gravedancer,I feel the word to concentrate on is NOT.eg 'it may only involve a difference of weeks or months NOT YEARS.Well,it HAS been a difference of YEARS, so they went beyond what is written by trying to predict the end and got it spectacularily WRONG!Exactly the things they accuse others of doing. How can they say the lot that left were serving with a date in mind,after telling them what to think?Unbelieveable,lying gits.But I know what you mean they'll just say 'well' that was a long time ago, now........'aaaaaggggghhhhhhhh

• termite 35
    termite 35

Oh, be fair you lot!I think that although the title does not,perhaps ,fit the thread;they're still damning themselves from their own mouths.I have been told very sharply that the ones who left the org after 1975 were weak and adulterous as they sought a date and wore out ,blah,blah,blah and that the society NEVER predicted the end near 1975 etc.I can certainly use these quotes at my door if they dare to call on me again.Nice one Newboy!

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Thats how you feel...and thats fine.

If I said that "...it may come on a Monday and not Sunday...."

Am I definitely saying it won't be Sunday?

PS - Wanna buy my car?

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Thats how you feel...and thats fine.

If I said that "...it may come on a Monday and not Sunday...."

Am I definitely saying it won't be Sunday?

PS - Wanna buy my car?

• TD
    TD

There’re way too many conditional statements in the omitted material for the “prophecy” label to stick.

“Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.“

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit