All the damage I have done

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sometimes I think back at all the people I helped "into the truth". All of those people now in the bOrg. All of those people now under its control.

One of my regrets in life.

Anyone else here ever think about this?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Gopher
    Gopher

Your efforts were part of the collective "group effort". Isn't that how the JW's teach it, anyway? It's not what we do/did individually, but the fact that his "people as a whole" are out there bringing the Kingdom good news to non-JW's???

So, that having been the case, if you didn't do the work, somebody else probably would have eventually done it for you. After all, like PT Barnum said, something about a sucker being born every minute. He merely took advantage of the situation!! Same with JW's, as a group.

I guess the best we can do (in the eyes of anyone who we helped become a JW or who we encouraged to remain one) is live a happy, productive life "outside the Borg". It shocks and stuns most JW's that we can actually live a decent, happy life, "outside of Jehovah's organization" as they say.

-J.R., member, UADNA-MN
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Minnesota division)

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Xena
    Xena

Thank God or whoever I sucked at bring people into the org.!!!

Bible Studies tended to be a bit to "needy" for me!!

• moman
    moman

I had one "bible study" when I first came in & he killed himself about 6 yrs. ago, poor guy. His name was Doug Grimm.

So glad I was a "fence-rider" 99% of my dub years!

• target
    target

I never studied with anyone who lasted long enough to come into the 'truth', but at the time I was studying, I convinced a friend to study and we both were baptised at the same time. She went on to think she was annointed. That was all she thought about and didn't even notice her family was crumbling around her until they were all gone. She is all alone now but still 'faithful'. Yep, I regret that one.

Target
    PS. I remember her telling her son that if he didn't remain faithful, she wouldn't even remember him in the new order because we were to be happy there and that could only be so if we did not even remember loved ones who die at the big "A". But then, she was supposedly going to be in Heaven. I guess they are to have amnesia there too

• rhett
    rhett

I hate the fact that I used to go out and bring new people in. Luckily I was never very good at it and never followed up with return visits. I wasted countless hours trying to get people to read the literature though.

if you didn't do the work, somebody else probably would have eventually done it for you.

Nice if it makes you feel better but that doesn't really matter. The fact is you did the work. I know the only person I ever blame for my actions as a JW is myself. It doesn't matter who told me all the stuff or anything like that but the fact of the matter is I was the one that chose to listen to them and act on it. I couldn't give two cents who said or did what the only person responsible for your actions is you. Its called responsibility folks. Try it sometime.

• SYN
    SYN

Kinda reminds of that track, I don't know who performs it, where the lyrics go something like "How can I undo all the damage I've done..."

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Don't feel too bad, if you hadn't preached, the stones would have cried out. Then you'd be responsible for alot of people having heart attacks and horrible accidents and stuff.

Six- who's just glad that his stones finally spoke up

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Get's to pinch 'Elsewhere' for saying 'The Truth'

Vennie

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching!!!"

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I pioneered for 10 years and during that time I brought 26 people into the "Truth." I am still trying to contact those people to apologize to them and to let them know the things that I have found out since leaving, but have been unable to get in touch with all of them. I have, though, talked to a few and given them some websites to research. Some of them have become as deeply entrenched in WT doctrine as I once was and so its slow going.

It is very hard having to confront people that you studied with, expressed joy over the progress they made, congratulated them on their baptism and then having to go and tell them it was all a big mistake. But I feel an obligation to do so, it's not easy, but my conscience would not rest easy unless I at least tried.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit