What movie did you walk out on when a jw? Have you seen it since? What changed?

by Wasanelder Once 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ok I walked out on Austin Powers because I thought it was so crude and god dishonoring. Since the fade I think it is very funny, still not a favorite but not the end of the world either. How about you? Any movies that were a big sin are nothing now? What changed, certainly not the movie. What about you has changed so that it is no big deal now?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Oh please, only time witnesses walk out of a movie or change the channel from a TV show is when they're showboating in front of other Dubs to come off as a pious, uber Dub. In the privacy of their own home Lord knows (and he does) what they're up to !!

• compound complex
    compound complex

A pioneer couple who studied with me 50 years ago took me to see a film featuring Juliet Prowse doing some provocative dancing. They walked out, left me there, returning later to take me home.

CoCo Stranded

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, Wasa!

I remember sneaking out to go to a forbidden movie, with my best friend, K. Her family was in town for a convention (lol, of course, as a JW teen, my best friend lived 6 hours' drive away!) ... it was "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea". My parents had forbidden me to see it (mind you, I was 18 years old) because it had a 'sexual' scene .... lol, so tame... it showed the man's hand traveling up the woman's body UNDER THE COVERS! Scandalizing! I was also forbidden to watch my soap "Another World", because all soaps were 'whore stories'.

Fast forward a few decades ... my mom is RAVING about that awful movie ... Mamma Mia. Oh, it's SUCH a good story! Her best friend even bought her the DVD!

huh? It's about a woman who slept with 3 different men at the same time, and her daughter doesn't know which one is the dad. I thought,,, wow, things have sure changed.

I never walked out of a movie, but was afeared to watch anything that had satan or demonic themes.... that has REALLY changed. I loved Rosemary's Baby, and vampire movies.

xo

tal

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Never did walk out of a movie, I paid my money & I was going to watch it no matter what any one else said about

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

My x-husband (the former Bethelite) walked out of Ryan's Daughter - the orgasm scene, leaving me and 4 other jws in the theater.

This in a nutshell gives a strong hint of what was wrong with our marriage.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

BeetleJuice - I was only 5 at the time and don't remember it but my mom took us right out.

Yes, I've seen it since.

• Scully
    Scully

Young Sherlock Holmes in 1985; during the human sacrifice scene (which obviously would have been thwarted). In my defense, I was pregnant at the time, and the thought made me nauseated. I should have just stepped out for some air, instead of ruining the movie for my hubby too.

Hey, talesin... Another World was the only soap opera I ever watched. It was my guilty pleasure Monday through Friday afternoons. My mom got me hooked on it. LOL

• talesin
    talesin

Haha, Scully, me, too! I was gutted when they cancelled it. Jake ... MEOW!

xo

tal

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

I never walked out of a movie when I was a dub. My teenage dub friends and I watched R movies too. We were such naughty little dubbies.

My dub mom, on the other hand, almost never watches movies. But my sister (an exdub and just a little bit malicious) recently gave her the DVD, "Pirates of the Caribbean." My mother watched it and told me she was never so frightened in her life. I laughed and told her to never, but never, watch "Jaws," "Alien(s)," or "The Exorcist." I think they would scare her to death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit