Why Do Christians today need a "governing body" of elders to be their spiritual "teacher"?

by I_love_Jeff 15 Replies latest jw friends

• *lost*
    *lost*

brilliant.

difference being Moses was actually commisioned by God, not man.

Has anyone else noticed how much they rely heavily on the OT, not the NT and Jesus's teachings and Gospel, the message.

It's as though they are afrais to focus too much on Jesus and the Message of the Gospel, Jesus's teachings, as though they are afraid the holy spirit will kick in and wake people up if they focus their minds too much on Jesus and NT.

just a thought, anyone else ever think it ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yup, spot on Lost, cannot have pesky Christian truths invading their "truth".

They do it all the time to enforce their ideas and doctrines, sometimes tacitly acknowledging that the O.T really doesn't apply since Paul consigned it to history, but such use is always "by extension" or "using the principle " of.

Again, there is no need for WT style Elders at all, if you actually look at the N.T examples.

• prologos
    prologos

The good news is that "the end is near" and then they will be gone. in the "upward call".

WT B.S. stated some time back, in the 70s, that the servant/elder arrangement was a temporary measure, to cover imperfection, that will cease in the "new world".

So do more FS to "hasten the day".

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Most prophets were assigned to warn the leaders of "Jehovahs organization" at the time. Israel was Gods chosen nation until Jesus' death, as they believe, and the prophets during OT times came to serve as a warning for the Kings and 'em to get theirselves together or await destruction.

The GB loves to portray themselves as the prophets and the rest of Christianity are the corrupt leaders perpertrating as Gods channel. And Witnesses fall for it, never thinking the GB could be capable of their heinous dishonesty. So when any brothers speaks out about the incoorect teachings, shady history, and flat out lies, they are spiritually executed, slandered, and ignored, and the GB and their henchmen prove who they really resemble.

Those who nd up leaving because of moral conscience = Jeremiah

GB = Israels leaders

The only difference is we walk away, we are not divinely commissioned to "Ehud" those men.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I think this can be applied to religion in general:

For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; 4?and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.
    - 2 Tim 4:3,4

With regards to modeling the GB after Moses and the prophets, this is definitely something WTS does. There was even a Drama about Korah and his sons some years back to emphasize this point, though it was applying it to obedience to the elders.

I have come to realize that WTS is very much an OT religion. They do not even put Christ in the proper position. They SAY they honor him, but their actions say the opposite. The fact that they stop people from partaking of the bread and the wine; the fact that they do not encourage talking to Christ, which Stephen did, which Paul did, and which Christ said to do; the fact that they put themselves in the place of mediatorship between God and man; the fact that they IGNORE what Jesus' own words were as to who would do judging . . . all of these show just how much, by their ACTIONS, they do not honor the Son.

YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, 8?‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. 9?It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”
    - Matt 15:7-9

Also, whatever it is that YOU ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in connection with the Son. 14?If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it.
    - John 14:13,14

For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, 23?in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.
    - John 5:22,23

For example, why are JWs not allowed to have tattoos? It was part of the Law of Moses:

“‘And YOU must not make cuts in YOUR flesh for a deceased soul, and YOU must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah.
    - Lev 19:28

Paul had something to say about those who held to the Law of Moses:

For to this present day the same veil remains unlifted at the reading of the old covenant, because it is done away with by means of Christ. 15?In fact, down till today whenever Moses is read, a veil lies upon their hearts.
    - 2 Cor 3:14,15

What's the real point?

Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10?If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him. 11?For he that says a greeting to him is a sharer in his wicked works.
    - 2 John 9-11

This week at the meeting, a sister had a talk about how to identify false teachers and she read the above scripture to her householder. She asked what would identify a false teacher. The householder said: "anyone who does teach the teachings of Christ". The sister said, "Right! So if someone were to come and not teach true Bible teachings, they are false teachers." I shook my head to myself because they equate all Bible teachings with the teachings of Christ. Truly, they have no clue what they are saying.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Elders are ones with more knowledge typically, as well as more disciplined in the Word of GOD. They should lead by example... "

The above was written without forethought. Knowledge has nothing to do with being appointed in the " Christian Congregation." I use that phrase to further show the ridiculousness of the WTBTS. The " Christian Congregation " by scriptural definition is the body of Christ, the Church if you will. All but around 12,000 JW's DO NOT belong to the Christian congregation.

Back to the comment. Elder can be knowledgeable, but it is not required. Elder's have no more Holy Spirit acting upon them than anyone else. Neither do the GB, obviously. By their own admission the WTBTS does not require an MS or Elder to be particularly knowledgeable, the must just be faithful, ( Follow the FDS ) mature ( follow the ORG) take the lead ( do the prescribe list of works set forth by the FDS/GB ) and be above reproach ( they must not have any wrongdoing that the public is aware of, like Child Molestation) also, they must keep pace with the ORG ( revise the Shepherd Book as needed and folow it without regard to scripture).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit