Why Do Christians today need a "governing body" of elders to be their spiritual "teacher"?

by I_love_Jeff 15 Replies latest jw friends

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

...........and to provide direction for their lives?

Since the Bible reports that Jehovah led first-century Christians individually through instruction directly from the Holy Spirit, with no accountability to a "governing body" in Jerusalem, why do Christians today need a "governing body" of elders?

Here are some examples of non governing body activitiy:

The Holy Spirit at Acts 13:2 directed the congregation at Antioch to send Paul and Barnabas out on their first missionary journey without any approval from a "governing body" in Jerusalem.

In Acts 8 verses 26, 29, and 40, Holy Spirit is the one who directed Philip to the territories he should preach in.

This is one of my recent questions on YA and here is a response from a JW most likely a disgruntled Elder:

"You may want to actually read the Bible for yourself instead of repeating lies your preacher told you. First you should read about Moses, who led the nation of Israel. Korah thought as you do, he was destroyed by Jehovah. Then maybe you should skip to the judges. There were many of them. They served as spiritual guides to Israel. Oh and what about all of those prophets, like Jeremiah, Daniel and Amos, they too, were spiritual guides.You mentioned Philip in your question, was Philip not serving as a spiritual helper? You may want to re-think your question as you, yourself pointed to part of your answers, you just haven't pondered it enough to grasp the meaning, have you?"

Do you see any comparison to the GB and spiritual guides of the Old Testmanent mentioned in his response? I really do not see the connection. In fact, I mention the Holy Spirit as a guide in the NT not the Old Testament.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Are you a non-JW? Act stupid like I do....

Ask him what you should do with the New Light in the New Testament:

1 John 2:27 " But the anointing that you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as His anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lieā€”just as it has taught you, abide in Him."

Let me know his thoughts.

If he has time to address another question of mine, ask him about James 3:1 - the verse that tells us that not many of us should be teachers... since that's the case, why are ALL JWs required to knock on doors? If he says that's how to serve ask him when the other service roles were thrown out that were presented in Romans 12:4-8.

Don't ask it like I posed. I'm annoyed tonight - can you tell?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It's about power. These guys are high on their own self importance and addicted to power. They treat the JWs like they're children, setting all their boundaries and not trusting them to do anything without strict supervision.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi _love_Jeff, If the WTBTS is a dangerous cult, does it really matter to JWs what is written in the NT or OT? Have you thought about asking questions of a JW about how s/he feels or would feel from your perspective trying to learn about God and Jesus Christ's teachings?

Since JWs are taught to indoctrinate Bible students using the "What Does the Bible Really Teach" pamphlet, how would a JW elder respsond to the following line of questions? Is the Bible the word of God or is the WTBTS's literature? . . . Are Jesus Christ's teachings the new light or is it the teachings from the OT? . . . Did Jesus Christ warn his followers about false prophets and to be guided by the Holy Spirit? . . . So if you were a new Bible student, why should you believe what JWs say or the WTBTS writes, when you can read the Bible for yourself like Paul praised the Boreans, ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit, and freely discuss your opinion with others? . . . Would you like to study the Bible like the Boreans or study WTBTS literature?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Este
    Este

Elders are ones with more knowledge typically, as well as more disciplined in the Word of GOD. They should lead by example...

E.

• I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff

NeverKnew- you, annoyed? Noooooo NEVER

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The response actually reinforces the exact point that you were making.

Moses - An appointed man who proved his appointment BY MIRACLES! He was a singular leader that was succeeded by Joshua, but there was no "body" or formal line of succession. So, no "governing body", but appointment proven by MIRACLES.

Judges - Not a collective "governing body". They were a hodge-podge of military leaders of the tribes that didn't really serve as "spiritual guides". During that era, spiritual leadership came from the Levitical priests, so if there was a "governing body" it would have been the chief priests and not the judges.

Prophets like Jeremiah, Daniel, and Amos - During those times, the actual "governing body" that would have been in place for the "spiritual guidance" of Israel was the priesthood and the kingship. None of the prophets ever spoke about attending "governing body meetings".

Korah - Well, if you want to choose that example, remember that Korah was speaking against a leader that had proven his appointment by numerous physical miracles and had led the nation through amazing military victories. That is very, very different from the prophets who spoke against the kings, priests, and false prophets who claimed to speak for God, but provided none of the miracles or any evidence that they were from God. It was always very easy for the kings and priests to point out their royal lineage from David or Aaron, explaining how they were the "governing body" appointed by God. No. Instead, it was the individual prophets that were no part of any formal "governing clergy" that were used to declare the judgments of God.

Phillip never mentioned a "governing body", never did any of the other Christian writers. Paul made the structure plain when he said that the head of the man is Christ. No "governing body" mentioned there that would come between Christians and Christ!

"You may want to actually read the Bible for yourself instead of repeating lies your preacher told you."

Actually, this guy needs to acquaint himself with WT publications before he says crap like that. I think it's in Insight under the entry for "Synagogue" that the official explanation is that the WT Governing Body is patterned after the Jewish Sanhedrin. When this guy says that the GB is patterned after Moses, the judges, and the prophets, he's just pulling this out of his a$s. They were nothing at all like the WT GB. In fact, the GB is structured more directly after the clergy of Christendom. The GB is simply a combination of the Catholic Pope and top Cardinals, but without the 2000 year history, robes, hats, art, and extensive real estate.

• prologos
    prologos

billy, without real estate, like the rc church? - they are working on it, mightily through their minnions/masters. make your will.

followers of Christ can do well guided by scripture, spirit, human kindness.

a corporation, mind control org can not!! they have to be governed. pharisee style.

rule by the body of eight.

man can not direct his steps, even less the steps of others.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Este's answer is typical JW brainwashed rubbish. "Elders have more knowledge" They are not allowed to have any more knowledge than the Watchtower prints.

They may be more familiar with the "Pharisees Rule Book "(Flock book) , but that is hardly spiritual direction.

If anyone hankers after spiritual direction all they can offer is the advice to do more FS and study WT literature more, in other words provide direction in to a Spritual Desert with no Oasis anywhere.

Holy Spirit does not feature in the work of Elders, and I bet hardly enters their minds.

The Elders chief role in reality is Policing the Congregation to make sure everyone toes the Party Line, and gives due worship to the Governing Body.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Because the Watchtower says so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit