Why We Blow Ourselves Up

by teejay 18 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

BY EYAD SARRAJ

A Palestinian doctor explains why so many of his people want to be martyrs

A few weeks ago, my sister, a professional and a mother of four, was visibly shaken as she watched, on television, Israeli tanks torturing the streets of a refugee camp and soldiers raping its homes. She shocked us all when she declared that she would like to become a martyr. A few hours later, a young Palestinian woman stunned the world when she turned herself into a human bomb and exploded in Jerusalem, killing one Israeli and wounding 150 others. In the weeks after, more women joined the queue of suicide bombers as the world stood alarmed and bewildered.

To understand why Palestinian men, and now women, are blowing themselves up in Israeli restaurants and buses is to understand the Arab-Israeli conflict. Ours is a nation of anger and defiance. The struggle today is how not to become a suicide bomber. We are told that there are long queues of people willing to join the road to heaven, and I believe it.

What propels people into such action is a long history of humiliation and a desire for revenge that every Arab harbors. Since the establishment of Israel in 1948 and the resultant uprooting of Palestinians, a deep-seated feeling of shame has taken root in the Arab psyche. Shame is the most painful emotion in the Arab culture, producing the feeling that one is unworthy to live. The honorable Arab is the one who refuses to suffer shame and dies in dignity.

The 35 years of Israeli military occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip has served as a continuous reminder of Arab weakness. But it was the destruction of the P.L.O. in Lebanon by Ariel Sharon that decisively shifted the Palestinian-Israeli confrontation to the occupied territories and Israel. Helplessness and shame gave way to anger that later poured into the streets as defiance. That was the first intifadeh.

Suddenly Palestinians felt that they were restoring their honor by fighting the aggressor, by not being helpless victims. Facing a superior Israeli army with its formidable arsenal, they felt morally victorious as the children of the stones became heroes of defiance. While that sense of victory served Arafat as a psychological platform to launch his peace initiative and recognition of Israel, it was the Oslo agreement and the peace process that followed that disillusioned the Palestinians and threw them into a new episode of confrontation. The reluctance of Israeli governments to implement promised withdrawals from Palestinian land, and then the catastrophic failure of the Camp David talks, prepared the fertile soil for a new breed of militants and suicide bombers.

It was the re-entry of Sharon to the political scene that sparked the new intifadeh. Scores of Palestinians were killed and maimed as Sharon declared his intention to cause as many casualties as possible. This time around, however, Israeli soldiers were not on foot and not even visible as they shot from their tanks. Palestinian militants shifted their target to the exposed Israeli civilians in markets and cafes. For the extremist militant, there is no difference between Israelis. They are the enemy; they are all the same.

In every case of martyrdom, there is a personal story of tragedy and trauma. A curious journalist once asked me to introduce him to a potential martyr. When the journalist asked, "Why would you do it?" he was told, "Would you fight for your country or not? Of course you would. You would be respected in your country as a brave man, and I would be remembered as a martyr."

This is the influence of the teaching of the Koran, the most potent and powerful book in Arabia for the past 14 centuries. In the holy book, God promised Muslims who sacrificed themselves for the sake of Islam that they would not die. They would live on in paradise. Muslims, men and women, even secularists, hold to the promise literally. Heaven is then the ultimate reward of the devout who have the courage to take the ultimate test of faith.

What the young man did not say was that he was burning with a desire for revenge. He was a tearful witness, at the age of six, to his father's beating by Israeli soldiers. He would never forget seeing his father taken away, bleeding from the nose.

As Sharon was taking Arafat hostage and grinding the salt of humiliation into the sour wounds, he was taking us into a new horrific level of madness. Another Palestinian girl blew herself up in Jerusalem last week, killing two Israelis and wounding more. She will not be the last.
    __

Dr. Eyad Sarraj is a psychiatrist and founder of the Palestinian Independent Commission for Citizens' Rights

From Time magazine.

• Farkel
    Farkel

teejay,

Sad, isn't it? It reminds me of that poignant song from the musical South Pacific called "Carefully Taught." While the song is about racism, the words apply universally to mankind. The song was about how some children are taught by the parents, and the lyrics are something like this:

"You've got to be taught to love and hate,
    to hate all the people your relatives hate.

You've got to be taught before its too late,
    you've got to be carefully taught."

: The 35 years of Israeli military occupation of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip has served as a continuous reminder of Arab weakness.

I remember the 6 day war and it was Israel who was attacked by the United Arab Republics. They got their asses whooped and lost those now disputed territories as a result. They've been whining ever since, but THEY drew first blood. Many of them, including that asshole Arafat believe Israel has NO right to exist as a state at all.

I have zero respect for such hypocritcal, hate-filled people, who claim that God is pleasaed with their murderous actions.

They remind me too much of dubs.

Farkel

• Simon
    Simon

We in the west also judge these suicide bombers as crazy lunatic fanatics from the comfort of our own military superiority.

This is the ONLY way they can fight.

If we were in such dire straights that soldiers had to charge machine gun posts and face certain death, wouldn't they be described as brave patriots making the ultimate sacrifice for their fellow citizens?

If anything, it should make the world think about WHY they are resorting to such desparate acts.

• teejay
    teejay

I try to imagine a teenager walking to a restaurant with a bomb strapped to their body. Knowing that they will never go home again. See their parents. Knowing that this is their last walk... ever.

There has to be a very good reason why young people—people whose life is just starting out and who should have everything to live for—are standing in line for their chance to commit suicide.

Western politicians would like to write these people off as terrorists. In America, there is a quite popular slogan: “Live free or die.” It is viewed as a very American, patriotic slogan, and those who live by it, willing to die for their cause, as the ultimate American.

Strange. Maybe other peoples in other places think and feel the same. You reckon?

• SYN
    SYN

War in general is stupid anyway. My feeling is, everyone should just play Quake instead.

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    I remember the 6 day war and it was Israel who was attacked by the United Arab Republics. They got their asses whooped and lost those now disputed territories as a result. They've been whining ever since, but THEY drew first blood. Many of them, including that asshole Arafat believe Israel has NO right to exist as a state at all.

Fark,
    you're right, hoss!
    Those A-Rabs are a bunch of Whiney Wussies!
    and that asshole Arafat - little Weasel - he DOES remind me of several
    kult governing body members.

To settle this whole mess, I think the Great Sky Mommy should come down and say: "Okay you Kids, I told you DON'T Make Me Come Down There!"... and now that I'm here, I'm a gonna settle this mess.

"Okay little Ali BooBaa, you and Rashid and MooHam have got ALL the Damn Toys! Now, I'm gonna MAKE you bad boys divide and share."

"You all have got 98% of the Land Mass and little Levi has only got that 2% sliver over by the sea."

"Now, y'all get the Hell OUT of fertile strip of land, which Levi worked his little ass off, to take hard scrabble desert and turn it into a blooming, green oasis. Uh-huh, Uh-Huh! I see, Y'all WANT IT now that's its been transformed into something nice..."

"You little hoodlums WANT ALL THE TOYS!?!"

"Little Levi already whipped your asses when you tried to take it away from him a while back... and now you're trying AGAIN?!?"

"SHARE, Dammit! SHARE!"

"Get your little butts out of Levi's tiny toybox, and y'all get back to your HUMONGOUS SANDBOX that I, as your Sky Mommy gave you...
    and y'all put your little sorry selves to work and turn that desert sand into something nice, like Levi did... or he has MY PERMISSION
    to Whip Your ASS again!"

"Now, you kids better play nice... or the NEXT TIME you make me come down here...!"

• teejay
    teejay

I have zero respect for such hypocritcal, hate-filled people, who claim that God is pleasaed with their murderous actions.

I wish I could say that I’m shocked that you would hold that viewpoint, Farkel. I’m not. It’s very common. Even our beloved Prez seemed to see things that way... until, that is, here lately.

Of course, Bush’s epiphany stems more from ulterior motives than from a concern for a weak and continuously violated people. He has a war to wage with a certain ethnic group and the steadiness of his coalition, heavily dependent on the cooperation of Arab States, depends on the stand he takes in the volatile Middle East. Even he, as clueless as *he* is, seems to have finally understood that there’s more than enough blame to go around – that the Israelis hands aren’t exactly clean of innocent blood. Sharon is far from an altar boy, but I wouldn’t expect you to admit that.

Gotta love your all-American perspective, though. It’s worked for the West so far, eh?

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Whoa there, Teejay!!!!

You should know better than to post ANY MATERIAL that puts Israel in a bad light...Tsk, tsk...
    As every FULLY INFORMED person knows, the Israelis have NEVER never done anything wrong to ANYONE, and they CERTAINLY share NO BLAME for any of the problems between them and the Palestinians. If you don't believe that, just ask any Jew - after all, being God's CHOSEN PEOPLE and all, you can expect a full and HONEST account of every aspect of every struggle they've ever had.

Jrig

• Farkel
    Farkel

jig,

: You should know better than to post ANY MATERIAL that puts Israel in a bad light...Tsk, tsk...

: As every FULLY INFORMED person knows, the Israelis have NEVER never done anything wrong to ANYONE, and they CERTAINLY share NO BLAME for any of the problems between them and the Palestinians.

You obviously don't know what the term "strawman" means, because if you did, you would have spotted the obvious fallacy in your statements above vis a vis my statements.

So let's see exactly what I said, ok?

I gave example of the Arab whiners who were pissed because they lost a war THEY started. Then I concluded with,

"I have zero respect for such hypocritcal, hate-filled people, who claim that God is pleasaed with their murderous actions."

If I said, "I have zero respect for all bad cops," and you replied with "Oh, so you're saying there are NO regular citizens who aren't bad people too, huh?", that would be exactly the same type of strawman argument you just made.

Do you get it?

Fact is, I have zero respect for any and all religious hate-filled zealots.

And I'm not amused by sloppy arguments, either. I'm sure you'll try to do better next time.

Farkel

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hey Farkel,

I was merely making a point - in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way - how one can get jumped on for posting anything that infers any sort of blame on Israel. And you proved my point. Thank you.
    Apart from that, my comments were directed to Teejay, not you, and I could care less whether my post "amused" you.

Jrig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit