At what age can a JW be baptised in the UK?

by jwfacts 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I just received an email from an unbaptised publisher that made the following comment;

In the UK the age of consent by law for a child is 16 and only then can they be baptized of their own free will.

Is anyone aware of JWs that have been baptised younger than 16 in the UK?

• dozy
    dozy

The poster is incorrect. Youngsters of 12 have been baptised here. My nephew was baptised at 13.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

hhmm... interesting.

Don't know if being baptised would be under the 'Age of Consent' by law.

Also totally believable that its legality would be ignored without anybody really noticing (it's not going to get high profile attention from gov'ts like the blood transfusion denials).

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks, I thought so. I found it hard to believe the Watchtower would change its practices in order to comply with the laws of a single country.

It does seem to open the way for JWs baptised younger than 16 in the UK to legitimately demand an annulment.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I was baptised at age 13. The age of consent at 16 has been in place since about 1885 so even I am not old enough to predate that!

The overwhelming number of baptismal candidates these days at our CA/SAD's are in their early teens.

George

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting, I was baptised at 15.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What do you mean by "age of consent"? Consent to do what? There are all sorts of different ages for different things in the UK.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I too was craptised at 15.

If there were any legal implications you can bet your bottom dollar the WBT$ would take steps to make sure they wouldn't get sued.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was dipped at 14. did it to please my parents--and do the same as a few other kids in the cong. i hadnt a clue what it was all about.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Me, 13.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit