There are *good* people out there! Yes -gasp!- in the "world"!!

by Muddy Waters 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Muddy Waters:

I enjoyed your post!

It's better to have a small handful of those kind of friends who will accept and love you as you are, than hundreds who are all about the impression they're making on you. We've often said here that it's hard to have real friendships among the JW's because it is so conditional and could change at any minute (if you or a friend took the WT teachings seriously).

For a whle after I first got out of the J-dubs, I was partly disabled due to spinal arthritis. I found complete strangers were holding doors open for me, offering to carry things, or whatever they could do to help. I was thinking -- wow, how different than the picture the WTS painted of people on the "outside" -- everyone was supposed to be selfish or possibly evil. I found a general goodness in people -- not 100% to be sure, but most folks are just trying to get along and many will offer to help you do the same.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Muddy Waters: Mind control, it's all about mind control. I started a trading business which allowed me to live out of doors sometimes for a week at a time. The Love shown by these "Wordly People" was quite an eye opener. Because of being able to do this activity for 25 years now, I can walk into a encampment with no food and water no boose and no shelter, stay well fed and drunk and kept dry at someone else expense. ( This is called camp dogging it) The Love is incredible. BTW I don't get drink at all, just making a point. And I have always returned their kindnesses. Go Figure! Affectionately: Brother of the Hawk (I will surrender my mind no more, forever)

• likeabird
    likeabird

Yes, they are everywhere! I keep tripping over them!

And also plenty of wonderful, amazing, honest, kind, caring, happy people too.

After discovering TTATT, this is one of the next best things to discover.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sounds a bit boring to me!

• Comatose
    Comatose

We are discovering the same thing ourselves. Very kind and good people. No god worth worshipping would destroy the families I know.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I've actually experienced more kindness, generosity and unconditional love from "worldly" people than I ever had growing up JW.

Before I saw TTATT I often would note that many non-JWs were actually doing much better than JWs in the area of charity, spirituality, love, etc.- I'm including myself in this. I was often embarrassed that these people, supposedly lacking in spirituality, morals and human decency, were outshining "god's organization" in key areas. But, being a good JW, I suppressed my observations and the implications they held. I felt bad that God was going to kill these people at Armageddon, despite the fact that they were decent human beings, but I held to the propoganda.

"No god worth worshipping would destroy the families I know. "

Exactly! Well said, comatose.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

" that they are, for the most part, HONEST, hard working people..." I always had this impression of non-JWs, because my entire family are non-JW and are what you've described. It's so good to be able to finally meet these great people, people who will respect your differences rather than expect you to think the same as they do on most topics. The fact you will have many differing opinions and yet still be friends proves what true friendship is!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

"And as a non-American can someone explain what's so bad about Barack Obama wanting to improve healthcare provisions in the USA?

And comparing Barack Obama to Osama Bin Laden makes you sound stupid, maybe get some perspective?"

Agreed. Here in Australia we've always had universal health care, and the fact that disadvantaged people can receive help for free IMHO is a sign of a progressive society, the antithesis of the intolerance, violence and fanaticism represented by the late Osama Bin Laden.

I've traveled to countries where the health care is limited to only people with money and there is very little political freedom, and the people are in awe of Australia's care for the disadvantaged/sick/disabled and the US's freedom to say whatever you wanna say. It bugs me that people in the USA think they are living under a fascist regime as soon as someone wants to legislate to help the disadvantaged. My F&MIL live in the US and don't get what people there are complaining about.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Yes.....all these worldlies may SEEM nice.....but they don't serve Jehovah! People that are nice, and helpful, and moral and giving but don't serve jehovah are just trying to ruin your faith! You need to eat with witnesses! They may be rude, opinionated and lead double lives but at least they are front row at the meeting. THAT is was God cares about!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Just ask those who are brave enough to start new businesses, despite Osama ObamaCare, to take care

I really think political commentary like this should stay in the politics or heated debates section.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit