Men who lived almost a thousand years.....it makes me speculate!

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You've lost me. Come again, is the Hebrew word for month similar to t word for year, or have you lost me?

I don't think we know the lexis of classical Hebrew, only what happens to have survived in biblical texts, for what it's worth.

• Terry
    Terry
    Longevity of Biblical
    Patriarchs after the Flood
    Chart showing the longevity of the Biblical Patriarchs
    Figure 2
    It took 20 generations for a new equilibrium of 70 years of life to be reached.
    Notice the life span decline that started with Peleg!
  • Terry
    Terry

Slimboyfat:

You've lost me. Come again, is the Hebrew word for month similar to t word for year, or have you lost me?

No similarity between words.

But--the use of Hebrew in the instance of Yom or day indicates the poverty of the vocabulary meant you could use just about any word over a broad range of "meaning".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are you arguing that a so-called poverty of vocabulary in Hebrew means any word can mean anything? Huh?

It just doesn't seem to follow. Besides which, Hebrew may have had a far larger lexis than is evidenced through the fairly meagre biblical corpus.

• Terry
    Terry

Are you arguing that a so-called poverty of vocabulary in Hebrew means any word can mean anything? Huh?

It just doesn't seem to follow. Besides which, Hebrew may have had a far larger lexis than is evidenced through the fairly meagre biblical corpus.

Clearly, my effort is one of shoe-horning in an apologia by way of trying to make sense out of what is intended to be a mythic lifeline.

As stated above concerning the Hebrew language

First, one must understand that the Hebrew language is not nearly as diverse as our English language. Whereas our vocabulary is around half a million, the Hebrew language has only 8,700 words. The French language, one of the poorest modern languages in vocabulary and the language of choice for diplomats, has just about 40,000 words or over 4 times the amount of words that Ancient Hebrew has.

Hebrew dictionaries attest to the fact that the word Yom is used for anywhere from 12 hours up to a year, and even a vague "time period" of unspecified length.

• Jeffro
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Maybe the word should have been MOONS.

This idea implies that Kenan had a child when he was not yet 6 years old.

• Terry
    Terry

This idea implies that Kenan had a child when he was not yet 6 years old.

I hope the Judicial Committee looked into that one!

• jws
    jws

When Enoch was 65, he had Methuselah. If this were 12 months/year, he'd be about 5.5 years old.

No matter how you slice it, things don't add up to anything reasonable. You could say years were seasons, but then you have people living into their 200's. But, the age of them having kids seems more reasonable.

One thing that strikes me is we're apparently hearing when they had their first kids. Really? They are supposed to multiply and fill the earth and they're waiting until they're into some pretty advanced ages. Over 100 years until they got somebody pregnant? Noah didn't have Shem until he was 500. And this was before condoms.

Theoretically we were "closer to perfection". So you've got a bunch of nearly perfect women. Think supermodels all around. And the guys are taking a pass, some of then until they're into their hundreds? They make the 40-year-old virgin look like a stud. No wonder the angels had to come down and mate with the women. The women had to practically be begging for some loving.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Interesting that you equate perfection with beauty :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit