Men who lived almost a thousand years.....it makes me speculate!

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

I was waking up out of a sound sleep and a complete thought presented itself to me.

I should write it down.

So here goes.

The bible says ADAM lived 930 years. Methuselah lived 969 years.

Now...

That led to OTHER thoughts...

Seems more likely the old stories of Adam and Methuselah use a word MISUNDERSTOOD by some later writer and maybe a CONFUSION resulted.

Maybe the word should have been MOONS. Like the Apache use to say, "I've lived many moons...".

After all, the word MONTH is a corruption of the earlier word MOONTH which means 30 days.

The lunar calendar was a very popular means of counting time waaaaaay back in the olden days.

This would mean ADAM really lived 930 MONTHS or 77 AND A HALF YEARS. Seems more reasonable.

Methuselah lived 969 MONTHS or 80 3/4 YEARS.

Maybe...maybe not.

Let us simply accept the incredible figure given in the bible and say it was almost a thousand years. Okay?

Thinking in REAL WORLD terms, mind you, wouldn't you think men who lived almost a THOUSAND years would have had so much time to study life, people, events and observe and reflect THEY'D BE THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE THAT EVER EXISTED?

Let's be real, here, okay? Wouldn't you seek out a thousand year old's experience and knowledge base to solve your curiousity??

Wouldn't people come from everywhere just to see and touch them and talk to them and listen to what they had to say?

People travel and carry news with them wherever they go. Sailors are harbingers of events as they touch port after port in their trade routes.

Word would surely have traveled with them that the VERY FIRST HUMAN was living in such and such location and he said: blah blah blah.

Don't you think Adam and Methuselah would have journeyed, explored,established schools, built villages formed governments and such?

Wouldn't they have been mentioned in all the history books because so many people would have been impressed by them?

What's that you say? Oh...All that was wiped out with the flood of Noah's Day.

Oh. Okay.

ADAM died just before NOAH was born. Surely NOAH would have heard all about the "wisdom of Adam"--don't you think?

Would Noah carry with him on the ark any writings of great importance to be preserved?

What? No? Jehovah didn't instruct him to preserve anything? He was to start from scratch?

Are you sure? Nah--I think you're just speculating like I am.

Anyway...

That's just a chain of thought I had. Shared it with ya, didn't I?

Yes, I did.

What are YOUR thoughts on the influence of men that old and why we don't seem to have much left of them?

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

It would have been a life insurance salesman's dream! Premiums for 900 years!

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

So Methuselah would have been 15 and a half when he had Lamech.

Seems legit.

• AMO
    AMO

Mmmmmm if every one at that time lived for that lengh of time then prob would be accepted as the norm, if true in the fist place.

AMO

• Comatose
    Comatose

Terry I like your reasoning on the the age and wisdom they would have. Hard to believe they would have been alive while those damn Nephilim were running amok.

• Terry
    Terry

When you start taking any of the old testament story and treating it with the same sense of reality you treat a newspaper story

IT FALLS APART almost instantly.

We seem to put bible stories in a different category of BELIEVABILITY.

We cut slack.

We use different standards.

We don't think in terms of everyday reality.

What usually happens is somebody waves away the implausible with an airy wave of the hand and quick-fix explanation.

Jehovah's Witnesses always had a strange explanation about early man being CLOSER TO PERFECTION and that proximity being the CAUSE

of E-X-T-R-E-M-E long life. How bogus is that? I mean, really!?

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Interesting reference.

Of note, though, what was significant about those days was not Adam and others but the angels that materialized and created a superrace of humans called the Nephillim. These superhumans and the concept of half god-half man do survive in historical form in those ancient times, which is through mythology. Thus, in particular in greek mythology, it is not difficult to link the god-men with the Nephillim.

Also, the legend of Achilles and the Achilles' heel is likly a reference to Satan being able to bruise Christ in the heel, etc. Also, what happened in Eden has survived as well. Satan and Christ were once married -- husband and wife. When Satan rebelled there was a "divorce." Thus to Christ God was speaking when he said: "I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed." Jehovah was telling Christ that there would be competition between he and Satan and between his followers and Satan's followers, that is, Satan's seed, which would be the rebel angels in heaven. The idea that Satan was a woman survives in Christian artwork and is linked to "Lillith."

Here are several examples of Satan as a snake-woman in artwork: http://jewishchristianlit.com/Topics/Lilith/aNePics.html

Further, there might have been many word of mouth traditions handed down over the centuries among various peoples, but which never got recorded. You might find it interesting to examine some of the legends connected to the "mysteries" as well that seem to cover some of the unofficial history, that is, the extra-Biblical history, such as found in "The Two Babylons."

• Terry
    Terry

Larsinger: Of note, though, what was significant about those days was not Adam and others but the angels that materialized and created a superrace of humans called the Nephillim. These superhumans and the concept of half god-half man do survive in historical form in those ancient times, which is through mythology. Thus, in particular in greek mythology, it is not difficult to link the god-men with the Nephillim.

It is important to your argument as to which came first, isn't it? Did an actual INVASION of demi-gods happen historically FIRST or was the MYTHOS first and the bible description merely a local version?

That is an important consideration. Remember, when Alexander the Great invaded the east he wiped away and replaced at the same time. Greek ideas, language, culture and mythos OVERLAID on top of the invaded civilizations he conquered.

Doesn't that seem more likely than an actual angelic invasion and subsequent hybrid race of giants?

I mean, really?

LARSINGER: You might find it interesting to examine some of the legends connected to the "mysteries" as well that seem to cover some of the unofficial history, that is, the extra-Biblical history, such as found in "The Two Babylons."

It is important to examine your source material before accepting the premises contained in them.

Alexander Hislop's THE TWO BABYLONS has been thoroughly discredited as nothing but hyperbole and cherry-picking along with deliberate omissions.

Anybody can "prove" anything if they cherry pick what serves their argument and omit what falsifies. The Watchtower society learned that technique from Hislop and has used it ever since!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does the Hebrew word for month even resemble the word for years?

And I dreamt the oceans turned into jelly and I went skiing on it. Did I burden you with that?

• Terry
    Terry

Slimboyfat: Does the Hebrew word for month even resemble the word for years?

Hebrew word for day is Yom

First, one must understand that the Hebrew language is not nearly as diverse as our English language. Whereas our vocabulary is around half a million, the Hebrew language has only 8,700 words. The French language, one of the poorest modern languages in vocabulary and the language of choice for diplomats, has just about 40,000 words or over 4 times the amount of words that Ancient Hebrew has.

Hebrew dictionaries attest to the fact that the word Yom is used for anywhere from 12 hours up to a year, and even a vague "time period" of unspecified length.

Even within the creation account, Yom is used to represent four different time periods.

Genesis 1:5 "And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night." Here, Moses uses Yom to indicate a 12-hour period

Genesis 1:14 "And God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." Here, Moses uses Yom to indicate 24-hour days

Genesis 2:4 "...in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." Here, Moses uses Yom to indicate the entire creative week.

The fourth usage of Yom in the creation account is in the summary for each of the six creation days, "and there was morning and evening the first day". Yom is used to represent a finite, long period of time, usually either millions or billions of years.

*the above is from a website that I've lost the link to. It had something to do with Jewish discussion of Old earth creationist ideas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit