'Changes That Disturb People' Awake 4/22/70

by ISP 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

*** g70 4/22 8 Changes That Disturb People ***
    Changes That Disturb People
    ‘One of the reasons is that people are disturbed by what is happening in their churches. Yes, millions of persons have been shocked to learn that things they were taught as being vital for salvation are now considered by their church to be wrong. Have you, too, felt discouragement, or even despair, because of what is happening in your church? A businessman in Medellín, Colombia, expressed the effect the changes have had on many.
    “Tell me,” he asked, “how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe ‘new things.’ How do I know the ‘new things’ will be the truth in five years?”
    What are some of these changes that disturb people?’

YES, WHAT WERE THESE CHANGES?!

*** g70 4/22 8-10 Should Meat Be Eaten on Friday? ***
    Should Meat Be Eaten on Friday?
    FOR centuries Catholics abstained from eating meat on Fridays. It was a Church law. Many sincerely believed it was a law of Almighty God. But now this has changed.
    The Effect
    The effect upon many devout Catholics has been devastating. “All these years I thought it was a sin to eat meat,” explained a housewife in the midwestern United States. “Now I suddenly find out it isn’t a sin. That’s hard to understand.”
    If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the Church a “mortal sin” can suddenly be approved? if it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? Many Catholics cannot understand.
    When a woman in Canada was asked how she felt about the changes in her church, she replied: “I don’t know. Maybe you can tell me. What are they going to do with all those people sent to hell for eating meat on Friday?”
    Not just a few Catholics have asked such questions. The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the Church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? Would you not be inclined to question other teachings of your church also?

A minor change was jumped on by the WTS and given full press. But I bet they wish they had never written those words……..

ISP

• amicus
    amicus

ISP,
    It's no doubt they've cut their own throats. I say "Withhold the bandages and let 'em bleed!".
    That was one of the articles I rubbed in my Mom's (the good catholic's) nose. If only I knew then what I know now!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

I grew up a Catholic. Anyone - any Catholic I knew - would haved looovvved to eat meat on Friday. By the time the average kid was a teenager, they were eating hamburgers anyway. Unless they were old, I didn't know anyone who took half of what the catholic church taught seriously, even if it was in the Catholic Catechesm(sp?)

We didn't even go to confession, mass, etc. Played it hot and heavy at the drive-in movies also. More pregnant girls in our Catholic school than the public schools. Perhaps it was a 60's thing.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

You know, that article was one that made me accelerate my questioning of the WTBTS and my doubts. Growing up as a JW from the time I was little and knowing of all the changes that had occurred up to that point under the guise of "new light" caused no little consternation when reading that article.

I guess having a good memory as a JW is NOT a good thing. I saw the hypocrisy then, and I can see it even more now.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Excellent information, ISP. One of the many reasons why I am where I am at now.
    "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" IMHO. Hard for me to understand why the JW's jump on the band wagon with other religions, but the same principle doesn't apply to them.
    TW

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

This writing department at the WTBS should have this scripture posted (like those yearly scriptures in the KH) on the wall, on their computer, stamped on pencils and pens:

Matthew 7:3 - And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? NKJV

And wisely counselled to report only about God and not about any other religion. If you are not in or have been in any particular religion, then you do not have enough knowledge to report.

I think the WTBS reporting BAD reports about other religions is SO very wrong. Even as a JDub, that was one thing I could not understand. If the JW religion is as great as they proclaim, then only give reports on their ACCOMPLISHMENTS. But when you think about it, they don't have much to boast about. We have preyed upon the disenfranchised and delivered them a false hope of Paradise.

Happy to be Free (Me)

• TR
    TR

I guess "God's Organization" has the authority(balls) to print whatever they want whenever they want. Someone in the "ivory tower" has got to see the hypocracy in that Awake! article. It's so blatantly obvious.

TR

• ianao
    ianao

LOL

I am feeling a bit 'disenfranchised' myself right about now.

• LDH
    LDH

You know, if you're constantly monitoring the mistakes that others make, you don't have the time to think about the ones you're making........

• ISP
    ISP

A WTS Classic!

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit