When all seems ok....

by Tylinbrando 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Many of you know what has been transpiring with my daughter and the abuse she suffered for years at the hands of a congregation Elder. The abuser is still incarcerated awaiting trial.

Today she had a substitute teacher that reminded her of the abuser. There was a confrontation and she had a breakdown. She has been taking a break from therapy and by all appearances doing great with straight As and being selected as Cadet of the Year.

This episode has compelled both of us to recognize that therapy needs to be in full force once again and I have a call into her Victim Advocate for direction and recommendation.

I have been alerted by many professionals that this is a lifelong project and even if all seems well there are triggers that will reach out and bite.

• cofty
    cofty

Tylinbrando - I'm sory to hear yor daughter has had this setback, it must have been distressing for her.

I hope she is able to continue to progress with more therapy.

• talesin
    talesin

Tylinbrando,

I don't know your 'story', but I can vouch for the fact that there can be a lot of healing, though it does take time. I had years of abuse up till I left home at 16. The effects didn't hit me till my early 30s, and it was full-on flashbacks, night terrors, you name it. It took hard work in therapy, but I was able to recover ... except for the nightmares.

Much love to you (and she is blessed to have your support, that will go a long way to help with her recovery) and your family, and let her know, she is not just a survivor, she is a THRIVER!

xo

tal

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Cofty thank you,

Tal I am verry sorry about your abuse. I will pass on your sentiments to my daughter. Thank you.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am sorry to hear that as well. I know from personal experience how it feels. It's seem like just when you are feeling normal it hits you. It's like a mean invisible friend follwing you, reminding you that you are not cool, just so you don't go thinking you are. I'ts very hard to explain. As recently as 2 years ago I would be going about my day, feeling great, and then remember..

You seem like an awesome parent. Keep doing what you are doing. It takes time, and she won't feel right around some personality types, I still don't. She's got you.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

So sorry your precious daughter is going through this. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I'm sorry that your daughter had this set-back. Tylinbrando. Hopefully, time and therapy will help your daughter to become stronger and thrive. As bad as it may seem right now for your daughter, at least she will be able to confront her perpetrator and show him that he is the powerless one.

Also, she has you, as her father, and neither of you will be victimized by the WTBTS or some other dangerous cult every again!! There are over 7 million people who will continue to be victimized by the WTBTS this year alone.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

Nothing but the best of wishes and blessings for you both. Time does not heal all wounds....but love is the best salve you can apply. You are both in my prayers.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Sounds like your daughter is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. I have it and in some ways it never goes away. All it takes is a trigger and you're a blubbering mess. Just assure her of your love and show compassion. Therapy is good too, but may require her to try to desensitise herself to the experience by going over it in some way, which may take years for her to feel she can. It's been 16 years for me and I still can't talk about what led to my PTSD without getting agitated. I've never committed it to paper because I can't face to see it written or write it.

Your daughter will need time, a lot of time, and as a father and a man you want to 'fix' it perhaps, but what the sufferer needs most is your continued reassurance of your love and protection.

I speak this from experience.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I weep for the harm done by this evil man to your daughter, and to you. You both have my utmost sympathy.

Therapy is good, and will help greatly, and should be used, I think, as a preventative even when you feel well and on top of things. I know there is always the feeling that going for Therapy sessions will bring it all to the surface, but I have found it useful on a long spaced but regular basis, just my thoughts.

Love and strength to you both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit