Can Witnesses Do That?

by Dutchie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

This week is Spring Break for school children and so my kids are home this week. While I was at work yesterday some witnesses paid a visit to my home and tried to talk my 14 year old son into having a bible study.

When my son politely refused, saying that he could not commit to a study without first asking permission of his parents, they told him that they knew many children who had defied their parents to study with the witnesses and come to meetings. They told him that Jehovah's approval was of foremost importance and if he decided to study he could meet them on the internet or on the phone and that his parents did not need to know about it! What?!! They in essence told my son to defy me.

I don't know who these witnesses were and its possible that they were not from the congregation I used to go to because I live outside of that territory, but it is still astounding that they would tell any child to defy his parents.

My son did not outright refuse the study because he did not want to be rude and he is a very nice, polite boy so he said he would think about it.

I am really thinking about calling the police and filing a report. Defy his parents, indeed!

Have you ever heard anything like this? Where children are encouraged outright to defy their parents to study with the witnesses?

• blondie
    blondie

Here's the official position (not that certain individuals have their ideas or are verbally told something else):

November 1988 Kingdom Ministry page 4
    Presenting the Good News-To Children

WHEN A YOUNG ONE ANSWERS THE DOOR
    3 When a youth answers the door, do you customarily ask to speak with the parents? Do you then proceed to the next door if the parents are not at home? That young person’s life is precious also. Why not adjust your presentation and share the good news with him or her? A simple presentation explaining what Paradise will be like or a brief statement regarding what the future holds could be used to arouse interest. For example, many children are familiar with the Lord’s Prayer and can readily understand comments as to what the answer to that prayer will mean in the way of changed world conditions.

4In witnessing to children, it is important to respect parental authority. Discretion should be used in offering literature to children. Depending on their age, it may be appropriate to ask if their parents allow them to choose their own reading material. If they are not at liberty to accept literature but do show interest, witness to them orally and arrange to call back when their parents are at home. This may be a stepping-stone to helping the parents as well.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Hi Dutchie, the dubs are not supposed to do that, but as we all know, anything to get a study.

They claim to protect and support families, but as you just saw, they will go to any length to rip them apart. I am currently spearated from my wife of 8 years because I am no longer a dub. They decided to totally shun me within my house and I won't stand for that.

Why not fabricate a letter from a lawyer, something like the lawfirm of Colt, Remington, Smith and Wesson and let them know that you will take legal action if they attempt to interfere in your family again. Of course, it is a bluff, but so are many things within the legal system.

The way they try to turn families against each other simply disgusts me.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Actually Dakota, I work for a law firm so that won't be so hard to do. Good idea.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Dutchie,

Nothing surprises me where the JW's are concerned. Get this: My two kids were at my mom's house for approximately two hours...she is a JW but knows that I do not want my kids witnessed to. I returned to pick up my kids and guess what? My mom's friends from the hall had been over. One of them TOLD my kids to sit down, it was time for a bible study. My son refused, my 7 year old daughter was intimidated...and my mom did nothing to tell her "sister" to back off. In the meantime, they proceeded to tell my daughter, she would not go to heaven. I was more than a little pissed off. If my mom can't RESPECT my parental wishes better than that, I will not leave my kids alone with her. My mom does live across the street from a park and the "sisters" always comment on how nice it is to see "young ones" there. It would not surprise me if they were prowling the park to get in their quota of hours.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I don't care what the WTS "official" position is -this stinks!

Dutchie, file a report with the lcoal police and get a real (sympathetic) law firm to send a letter to the local congregation. If you know the names of the people who spoke to your son, name them.

Kist, I would urge you to consider similar action.

Nobody else is going to care about your kids more than YOU do.

• Princess
    Princess

First I would call the police and file a report, then I would call the local newspaper. That is wrong.

Princess

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You are right to be outraged Dutchie.

I've hosted another story similar to this at http://www.do-not-call.org/webs/hassled2.htm and I,m collecting feedback from it at http://pub97.ezboard.com/fdnc61397frm5.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

To protect your own children why not consider instructing Jehovah's Witnesses not to call at your home any more?

You can do it for free at the Do-Not-Call site, the link is below.

Nic'

http://www.do-not-call.org

• 4christ
    4christ

Oohh, that is SO wrong! I know for a fact they have done that with other youth-my brother was one. My mom studied with them, she was shunned, thats another part of the story. But after she died, my brother would sneak off to study and then lie about it to our father and grandmother, saying he was somewhere else.

How can this organization claim to be "God's mouthpiece" and yet encourage children to defy their parents and keep secrets from them? Arent children supposed to honor their parents, not lie to them?

I would be so angry if they tried that with one of my kids! I would definitely call the police and the press.

The hypocrisy of the Watchtower seems to never end.......

Peace to all-L

• Amazing
    Amazing

The JWs are not supposed to go around the parents, but they often do anyway. I recall one time when a non-JW man came to the Hall so he could be sure to get hold of the Elders, and told us on no uncertain terms to stay away from his son.

It was the first I had heard of the situation. We assured him that we wuld talk to the person who had been meeting with his son, and that we would inform the congregation. Later on a special part in the service meeting was done to urge JWs to work with the parents before starting studies with minors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit