If there really is no God...

by Monsieur 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

If there really is no God, then man REALLY only has himself to blame for all this mess...

Blaming god or satan would only seem like a cop - out, and an excuse for opression.

Man may not be able to stop a tsunami or a hurricane, but we can absolutely stop wars and opression, violence and hatred.

Come on people!!! why is this so difficult to accomplish when we have the capacity to do so??? if there are no 'spirits' getting in our way, what gives???

• Comatose
    Comatose

Religious fanatics for one. With them gone much could be accomplished.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

people are selfish, greedy - well not all. But you get those that want what you have and will harm you to get it - you get plain evil bastards in this world too.

• Lore
    Lore
    but we can absolutely stop wars and opression, violence and hatred.

Yeah, but not really.

We can stop wars. But there are multiple ways to do so. And since there are multiple ways to do so, we would all have to agree on which way we want to stop wars.

Do you stop wars by becoming a superpowerful nation and destroying all oposition until nobody can rise against you anymore?

Or do you stop wars by getting the leaders of every country together and agreeing not to produce weapons or fight anymore? Well if you do than and just one of those countries decide to build a secret military, then they would have a GIGANTIC advantage and take the world by storm as everyone else has no military.

We can stop individual cases of violence, but how do you stop ALL violence?

By operating a maximum survielance police-state where every individuals moves are carefully monitored, and any hint of deviation is rooted out?

Or do you stop violence on a social level by just encouraging people to be polite and kind to each other? Well the problem there is, it doesn't work. Sociopaths do exist and they don't care about your ethics.

Surrounded by people who only do good, the evil person will thrive.

• jgnat
    jgnat

LouBelle took the words right out of my mouth. Overweening self-interest.

There are others who have a sense of altruism so broad it embraces the entire human race.

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxJaffa-Dr-Yehuda-Stolov-The

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonas_gahr_store_in_defense_of_dialogue.html

https://www.facebook.com/israellovesiran?ref=ts&fref=ts

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Evolutionary biology.

Our hardwired behaviors and responses, that have helped us survive for ~1 million years, can not be rewired in 100 or even 1,000 years. The progress of humanism vastly outpaces the hardware upgrade needed for such a wholesale change.

I wish I had a more positive answer.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

the way the world is ... has been this way, way before any of us got here... and will continue that way long after we leave,

It is evolution...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I believe that altruism is evolutionally superior, and may be the only way to get us through the next hundred years.

• Emery
    Emery

I thought about this as well but in a positive light. IF there is no God, humans inherently know what good is, what morality is, what good ethics are, and everything else that has been written in the bible and attributed to God. The concept that man has no moral compass outside of God is a lie.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Evolutionary biology.

Our hardwired behaviors and responses, that have helped us survive for ~1 million years, can not be rewired in 100 or even 1,000 years. The progress of humanism vastly outpaces the hardware upgrade needed for such a wholesale change.

I wish I had a more positive answer.

bibiyan-

bibiyan, if this is the case, then religion IS in fact necessary, in order to make sense of something that is impossible to change. Religion would be necessary in order to inspire hope of changing the impossible to change. otherwise, we really are just another species of animal.

how ironic that religion in its efforts has served to instigate man against himself even more.

what a 'circle' of futility, don't you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit