The Experts- Jehovahs Witnesses

by jean-luc picard 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes. She knew from experience the importance of education so she like many others could choose life. I guess it's not til ppl are starving they realize what good education is worth.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Expert in every field, wow!. Look at the Creation book. Its like as if they are scientists, presenting their researchin finding to an ordinary lay man. Nope, they are high school graduates with no research skills. Worse more, they are very bad at providing references.

Scott77

Scotts.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is funny b/c they are more expert on everything- even more so than Donald Trump! They told us how to decorate, cook, and present food in Awake. We were also told how to study reading, writing, and arithmetic. Anyone with any useful knowledge was viewed as worldly. How I detested the stupid brothers! If they would mind their own business, I am certain there were reasons for being so stupid. I was attacked for getting good grades in the college track. Reading any book but WT lit was forbidden.

My father was handy. He had been a coal miner before serving at Bethel in the factory. My KH had NO ONE with similar experience in the world. They sold very cheap shoes at cheap shoe stores. These men judged my mom for working to feed us. Our house was proof of our sins. All the mortgage money should have gone to Brooklyn. All this plus the fact that no one could even tell you who was president, vice-president, or factory servant.

I believe my yearning for knowledge was a reaction to them. They had no presence in the books I read with pleasure. Lord, those old men told women how to do housework. The funny thing is they could not stop vicious ranting against the Pope and Roman Catholic Church. No one can say that the Pope has no style.

The Awake annoyed me more than the WT. My present family convulses with laughter at the good stuff in the Awake. If you service white fish, don't serve white potatoes. They will not look good. A good Witness can cure the situation, though. Parsley was the solution! I could never make this crap up. The personal hygiene lectures were also so sick.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Like written to children.

What got me is that JWs who finished high school in year 10,(in Australia the minimum education is to year 10, but most kids go thru to year 12) lecturing me about the evils of university. I'll never forget Terry O'Brien, head of Australia bethel, going on about it at a ca. He said roughly, '[knocking university] and I should know, because I once spent 6 months at uni!' And he dropped out when he became a jw, which was decades ago. So he knew everything about tertiary education because 30 years ago he spent one semester there. It always got my goat that people who had little to no experience 'knew' everything about it and could lecture me who was there for 5 years.

Rant nearly over: my hubby and I wouldn't make rent now if I didn't go to uni! What with unexpected job losses and injury and that!

• Pickler
    Pickler

My JW mum knew everything there was to know about everything, always!!!

This became more clear to me after I was DF & became a parent myself. I've had experiences that she cannot comprehend, like, life changing illness/near death experiences, travel, career etc etc

When she has heard these things her immediate response is to lecture me.....based on what? I don't know? An article in Awake or Watchtower? I have actually had the experience......but, that doesn't count when compared with what she is going to tell me about it!!!! She is now going to lecture me on my life....by telling me what she knows, which is what the org has told her!!!

She could actually listen to me, but, I'm not Gods organisation, so what would be the point?

i haven't actually spoken to her for years now anyway, I'm sure she's still the worlds expert on everything.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Band on the run:

No one can say that the Pope has no style. Yes, though not a catholic, I really quite admire him.

Julia: Sounds like you were a rebel LOL.

What with unexpected job losses and injury and that! Its just that. They never prepare for the unexpected. Jehovah will provide. I remember when my dad was ill and I needed a new school uniform: we arrived home one day to find one on our doorstep. Oh, Jehovah has provided.

More the Churchgoing neighbour, moved from her own sense of Christianity provided.

Pickler: I know what you mean. I guess we should feel sorry for them, but its so frustrating.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

What about all those times you went without? Did Jehovah provide then? While I believe in a higher power, even Jesus, I still believe we have to feather our own nests in that we must prepare for the future.

@ Pickler: Humility is not a common trait among JWs. The WT pays lip service to it while telling its adherents that they are the most privileged people in the world to be the only ones to have 'the truth'. Humility is only called upon when telling the followers to be more obedient and not make waves.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Julia, you have a point: what is remotely humble about a people convinced they're the only ones worth saving, while God vaporizes the other 99.99 percent of humanity, down to the last pudgy infant?

• Isidore
    Isidore

"That is why the dark ages, were called, the dark ages.

Why did 'the world' go backwards after the fall of the roman Empire ??? Who took up the mantle of power and was in the driving seat

after Rome fell ??

The 'new creation' system of control - THE Roman Catholic Chuirch,. and their history speaks for itself doesn't it."

Lost, please define what the Catholic Church did that drove Western civilization backwards.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Reps of the H L C are fond of telling anecdotes , with never any definite details who experienced it, about how "expert" on blood The Society is. According to what I have been told, surgeons and doctors regularly contact Bethel asking for advice on the best or latest use of blood or substitutes, because they are the acknowledged leaders in the field.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit