Have the leaders of JWs ever said 'sorry'?

by JWB 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

How I wish the rank-and-file Witness would consider this thread! Thanks for the reminder, blondie, about the abuse of the word “clarification.” How much falsehood has masqueraded under that name? Satanus puts his finger on a sore that many have felt. This is an organization whose leadership is merciless. It’s bad enough that they are ignorant, unschooled and uneducated. But they are also devoid of compassion just as their ancient counterparts, the Pharisees and Sadducees were. Along with mercy and compassion, they lack humility and courage. I’ll give the leaders of the WCG their due in this matter. It took great humility and courage to write the apology they did. The Governing Body does not have either of these qualities and that is another reason we should expect no act of contrition from them. I also want to add Oubliette’s contributions to this thread when I write to my friends. His scintillating analysis was spot on. I hope I have his permission to do so.

Quendi

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quendi: I also want to add Oubliette’s contributions to this thread when I write to my friends. ... I hope I have his permission to do so.

Of course you do.Just a couple of fixes needed.

I noticed a typo in the 8th paragraph. It should read:

Also, notice that THEY wrapped this minimalistic admission of error in a blanket of "eagerness" which is further dressed in a garment of "commendability."

I accidently left out a letter and put "the" instead of "they."

Also in paragraph 15 I used the wrong form of the word "their":

Again, the passive voice is used to say, "There were statements made." Who made them? What was THEIR source? Why can't they humbly admit, "We said the wrong thing?" They just can't do it!

That's what happens when you write and don't prufreed kairfooly.

Let me know how it works out.

Oubliette

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

w96 9/15 p. 24

Practice the Art of Apologizing
    If we make it a practice to apologize when necessary, we are likely to find that people will respond favorably. And perhaps they will even apologize themselves. When we suspect that we have upset someone, why not make it a custom to apologize rather than go to great lengths to avoid admitting any fault? The world may feel that an apology is a sign of weakness, but it really gives evidence of Christian maturity. Of course, we would not want to be like those who acknowledge some wrong yet minimize their responsibility. For instance, do we ever say that we are sorry without meaning it? If we arrive late and make profuse apologies, do we determine to improve our punctuality?

So, then, do we really need to apologize? Yes, we do. We owe it to ourselves and others to do so. An apology can help to ease the pain caused by imperfection, and it can heal strained relationships. Each apology we make is a lesson in humility and trains us to become more sensitive to the feelings of others. As a result, fellow believers, marriage mates, and others will view us as those who deserve their affection and trust. We will have peace of mind, and Jehovah God will bless us.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Just wanted to add that they have said "We are sorry" and "we apologize", but not for what you think.

We are sorry if these comments caused pain to any of our readers. But it was not our intent to imply that an adulterer can blame his misconduct on his mate. In the box “Who Is Responsible?” we stressed that the adulterer is responsible for his wrongdoing, regardless of “an innocent mate’s imperfections.” The statement in question was part of a discussion of reconciliation. We were simply stressing the need for good communication, encouraging reconciling couples to identify problem areas in their marriage that might need urgent attention. There may also be hidden resentment that needs to be brought out into the open. Usually, such a discussion results in both mates’ admitting to some shortcomings. After all, “we all stumble many times.” (James 3:2) And while such discussions are often very painful, they are, as our article stated, “an important part of the process of restoring trust.”—ED. - g99 12/8 p. 30

We are sorry if this statement caused some confusion. We did not mean that Mormons believe the sin itself was sexual intercourse, although one might get this impression from the “Book of Mormon” account. (2 Nephi 2:22, 23, 25) Rather, we stated that the sin “involved” sex. How? In that, according to Mormon theology, it paved the way for human procreation. According to the book “Mormon Doctrine,” by Bruce R. McConkie, prior to his sin, Adam “could have no children. . . . According to the foreordained plan, Adam was to fall . . . Being mortal he could now have children.” By way of contrast, the Bible does not teach that Adam had to sin in order to procreate. (Genesis 1:28) Nor does it say their fall was due to a foreordained plan of God’s. Instead, it says it was due to their own desire for independence. (Ecclesiastes 7:29) So while we respect the rights of Mormons to believe as they choose, this matter illustrates that the teachings of “The Book of Mormon” are simply not compatible with the Bible.—ED. - g96 6/22 p. 30

We are sorry if our choice of words gave offense. We used the word “disease” in the very general sense given in “Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary,” namely, “a condition . . . that impairs the performance of a vital function.” —ED. g93 10/8 p. 30

Quite a few readers called this to our attention, and we are sorry if we caused any alarm among readers sensitive to the issue of child abuse. We believe it is a point well taken. To avoid possible misunderstandings, it might be best if parents described sexual matters as being “private” instead of “secret.”—ED. g92 7/8 p. 30

We are sorry if we gave the wrong impression. It was not our intention to exclude alternative means of lead removal, such as distillation systems.—ED. g91 2/22 p. 30

We are sorry if the article caused some misunderstanding. However, the statement was made in reference to Mexico as a whole, not simply to Mexico City.—ED. g91 7/8 p. 30

We are sorry if the article caused some misunderstanding. Many adoptive parents do a superb job of giving their children needed support and love. However, the article was discussing the possibility that a child put up for adoption might not be raised by Christian standards. Such being the case, an unwed girl should not conclude that she has nothing to offer her child. She can raise him by Bible standards and show him true love—something that is more important than economic advantages.—ED. g90 9/8 p. 30

We are sorry if the article caused emotional pain to any victims of parental abuse. The article focused on how a youth can cope with, and perhaps avoid provoking, common parental outbursts. By no means did we intend to imply that a child is responsible for behavior such as that described above. Regarding these serious forms of parental abuse, the article said: “A youth is wise to seek outside help, perhaps approaching a Christian elder in his local congregation.”—ED. g89 9/8 p. 30

23 Seating: At the 1994 “Godly Fear” District Convention, did you note improvement in the matter of saving seats? Some progress has been made, but we still need to be conscious of this reminder: SEATS MAY BE SAVED ONLY FOR YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS AND ANY WHO MAY BE TRAVELING WITH YOU IN YOUR CAR. We are there as guests of the Society. The rental of the auditorium has been paid for by voluntary donations. Would it be loving and considerate to save a seat that we are not sure will be occupied? We are sorry that it will not be possible for us to accommodate requests for separate areas or rooms for those with environmental problems, such as allergies. km 5/95 p. 5 par. 23

“Awake!” responds: Thank you for bringing this point to our attention. Our heart goes out to anyone who is dealing with serious health problems, and we certainly do not want to add to a person’s suffering by using terms that some may consider to be demeaning. We apologize for any distress this may have caused our readers. g6/12 p. 29

“Awake!” responds: The writer gathered information from various sources, including personal interviews with former inhabitants of Aguaruna communities and a number of published sources. One of these, Atlas Regional del Perú, 2004 Edition, gives the names and descriptions of five Aguaruna deities. However, as you note, inhabitants of some Aguaruna communities have converted to nominal Christianity. We apologize for any misimpression we may have given. g7/11 p. 23

and so on...

• flipper
    flipper

The WT Society would NEVER say " sorry " or apologize because it would make them appear weak, fallible, faulty to their rank and file 7 million Jehovah's Witnesses they hold power and control over. They won't risk LOSING that power and control by honestly admitting mistakes. It would cost them millions of followers, millions of $$$$$ in financial support , and quite possibly if they admitted fault to covert , hidden crimes they've committed it would mean GB members and WT behind the scenes powermongers going to jail for ponzi schemes, murder, aiding and abetting child molesters, etc. You name it and you're probably right . Too big of a risk to allow a corrupt 133 year organization to be exposed like that from the top down. Kinda how I see it.

I mean - hells bells - if you can't even get elders to apologize to individual JW's for botching up JC committee decisions , do we really think the leaders of these mind controlled drones would apologize ? Nope, ain't gonna happen. They'll go down like all notorius criminals in history- kicking and screaming

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit