The self-made PARADOX of "witnessing" without Television or Radio

by Terry 30 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

It seems the preaching work is getting more and more diluted. It started with sandwich boards and gramaphones mounted on cars - now the magazines are wafer thin and the general quality of witnessing (from what I've experienced) is embarrassingly poor. I got handed a magazine in the street the other day - not even a single word was spoken to me, just given a magazine like it was a pizza coupon.

Also I've not had a knock on my door for about 8 years now - what ever happened to 'not at home' slips?

It's purely token - the purpose of which is to keep JW's occupied and give them a chance to (sort of) excercise their faith and therefore bolster it.

Thought the GB are in the internet age even that is ridiculously censored and insular. Just take at look at their frequently asked Q's "Do you shun people?"

"No, we don't shun people"

$#*ing wankers.

• Decided
    Decided

Doesn't anyone remember the JW radio station back in the Russel or maybe Rutherford days that JWs owned?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Doesn't anyone remember the JW radio station back in the Russel or maybe Rutherford days that JWs owned?

Yes, but I guess they dropped it since they realized they were full of it.

Better for the preaching work to be a little more discreet.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Excellent points. The Witnesses make a big song and dance about being the only ones spreading Jesus' message, and yet they and particularly their beliefs are virtually unknown, due to choosing a highly inefficient means of promotion. In the meetings, they talk about their "life saving" message, and the obligation to spread it to "the farthest ends of the earth, yet overlook many of the most effective ways to spread the message. And then when people put the Watchtower's free literature for download on the internet, they hit them with copyright infringement.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I wish I could remember who wrote this, but I thought it was fantastic...apologies for lack of attribution:

Hypothetical Scenario

You are a City Manager in a major metropolitan city with a population of 3,000,000.

One day when you come into work at 9:00 AM you are horrified to receive an anonymous message that a group of terrorists have put a poison into the City’s water supply located 10 miles from the City limits.

This chemical is extremely dangerous and will result in a painful death for any one that drinks the water. However rather than panic, you take some time and order your water treatment lab to test and confirm or deny that the system has been compromised. The tests come back positive. The tests show that you have somewhere between 6 and 20 hours before the poison reaches the City.

Immediately you realize that you have to warn the entire population of your City before it is too late and there are massive losses.

How do you inform the public? At your disposal are the entire City Staff numbering 3,000 which gives you a ratio of 1:1,000 people in the city. You also have the following ways of reaching people.

• Radio
    • Television
    • Telephone
    • Internet
    • Email
    • Facebook
    • Billboards
    • Postal Service
    • Twitter
    • Door to Door
    • PA systems on the Police Cars

Question: In view of the seriousness of the situation and the amount of time remaining, which methods of informing people will you use?

Your message is simple and to the point, “The water system has been compromised, to avoid death, please do not drink the water.”

A competent City Manager would assess the situation, and immediately mobilize his people. He would use all available methods of communication focusing on the ones that would be most effective with the goal of reaching as many as possible. He does this for the following reasons:

• He has a moral obligation to warn people to protect them from certain death
    • He has knowledge that there is limited time to warn them

What would you think of a City Manager who had this knowledge of an imminent disaster and instead of focusing his efforts on broadcasting the warning through the television, internet, telephone etc. he instructs his 3,000 employees to each go to 1,000 doors to warn people? Even though he knows that most people are not at their houses but are instead at work, or shopping, or school? If each employee was able to knock on a door every 7 minutes, it will take him 116 hours to complete this door to door assignment once.

As Witnesses we are taught that we have life saving information and that the end is going to come at anytime. Adjectives that are used frequently when describing the nearness of the worldwide disaster are “imminent”, “shortly”, “soon”. The only hope that people have for salvation is through heeding the warnings that are given. We have divine knowledge that must reach the ears of everyone on earth.

If the Governing Body was truly convinced themselves of the impending disaster and the fact that the end is “imminent” would they not focus their efforts in spreading the message through effective means such as telephone, television, internet, social networks etc? Instead direction is given that the primary method of spreading the warning message is through calling at empty houses repeatedly.

The Apostles and Christians in the first century used the most effective methods possible to preach, including speaking in the synagogues, in the marketplaces, and in people’s homes. They also wrote letters and forwarded the letters on to others. That was the extent of technology at that time, and they used it effectively. However technology has dramatically changed in the last 100 years let alone the last 2000 years. Why is it that as Witnesses we are instructed not to use the Internet, or email, or social networks or the television to preach the warning? Telephone or letter witnessing is allowed but only as a small part of our ministry.

It is conservative to estimate that around 50% of the ones baptized are children who have been raised in the truth and do not require preaching to from door to door. It now takes almost 11,000 man hours of the house to house ministry to get an interested person to baptism. If “Joe” publisher went house to house on average 10 hrs a month, it will take him 91 years to get a student to the point of being baptized. Statistically it is impossible since we live to 70- or 80 years old.

This highlights how ineffective door to door is as a means of warning people about an impending disaster. Despite these odds why do we continue to maintain that the house to house ministry is the most effective method? The data does not support the claim.

Each Witness records his or her time and obediently submits it to the Branch every month. It is clear that the effort is what is valued, and not the results. An analogy that might be made is by imagining that you work at a gravel plant. Your job is to make gravel and the way that you do it and have always done it is by smashing rocks with a hammer. Even though machines have been invented to efficiently crush gravel by the ton at a high production rate, your boss tells you, “Ignore that machine”, “Keep using that hammer, it is the best way to make gravel.” Each time you go in service and call at an empty house, remember you are crushing rocks with a hammer.

My conclusion with these things in mind is I don’t feel that the Governing Body themselves are convinced that the end is imminent and that we as Witnesses carry a life saving message. If they were convinced that time is reduced and that people’s lives are on the line they would give direction that other methods be used to actually reach people with the warning.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I agree with the premise - that is, the Witnesses do not really have the purpose of gaining converts behind the door to door obsession.

However - I have one question:

Do we have any solid evidence that Television or Radio would actually gain significantly MORE converts?

Most of the TV/Radio preachers that I see are just soliciting contributions - not really gaining large numbers of church members.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

An actual full-frontal presentation of the weirdness behind JW thinking would kill the vague persona of citizen do-gooders who clean up after themselves at conventions.

hahahahhaha - that cracked me up.

One thing that you become cognitive-dissonancingly aware of, if you're a JW capable of any reasonable, realistic assessment of the impact of the Preaching Work™, is that nobody knows anything about JWs, and nobody cares.

So you either delude yourself into believing what the quintessentially self-deluded octegenarians in Brooklyn do - that JWs are FRONT AND CENTER in the minds of most people (lulz), or else tell yourself that Jeehoovy is only looking for sheep and everybody has been blinded by satan, yadda yadda. It takes a very insular mind to keep that sh1t propped up for so long.

• I quit!
    I quit!

To me it makes sense that a big part of Rutherfords power trip was to gain wealth and power by owning and controling real estate. Ray Kroc of McDonald's fame found out early when he hired Harry Sonneborn that the real money to be made in Mc Donald's was by leasing and then subleasing real estate to the franchisees not selling burgers.

I remember in the years just before 1975 it was seen as a lack of faith if you were saving money to purchase a home. I knew JWs who sold their homes in order to be able pioneering. Many of them never recovered financially. Little did I know that at the same time the Watchtower was on a buying spree purchasing real estate.

Rutherford never minded throwing his witnesses under the bus as long as it got attention and he wasn't one of the ones being run over. The same holds true with the Governing Body.

Good info.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Terry,

I don't see a conspiracy either. You state your perspective very clearly in this threads title.

I am not really criticizing the topic. I think it is one of the most important features of trying to understand what JW's are REALLY doing.

But some of what you say wanders off into a conspiratorial framework.

Wikipedia has a good working definition of Conspiracy Theories:

A conspiracy theory is anexplanatory proposition that accuses a person, group or organization of having caused or covered up an event or phenomenon of great social, political, or economic impact.

The whole wikipedia article of course elaborates further.

In particular I find the following section a little paranoid:

(At the very least your implication is that there was some consensus amont the leaders of the organization that they had to fool tax auditors into thinking they were spending their money on the preaching work while their main interest was to pump up activity that would allow them to invest in property that they could liquify at some future point for their personal benefit)

The Watchtower Corporation had to generate a kind of marvellous "machine" you could pour money into and make it disappear in the form of the preaching work.

CONSTANT EXPANSION was the key!

What was the purpose? POWER INVESTMENT!

REAL ESTATE!

The Watchtower was a corporate Donald Trump. It could grow dollars and not have to pay taxes on them. It could point to a worldwide work as evidence of money well spent (which wasn't really "spent" at all.) It could account for the cash flow by pointing to new projects in development and new acquisitions ostensibly for more and more publishing effort.

Further, every once and awhile a GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE would have to be run. This would be in the form of date setting.

Date setting (determining when Armageddon was to arrive) was an Investment.

The publicity was golden. The threat level was heightened. The cash flow was extraordinary. The need for more investment property increased. The grip of absolute power was made real.

The downside was practically nil!!

Without having documented evidence to show that this was an "ACTUAL CONSPIRACY" you have merely suggested a "THEORETICAL CONSPIRACY".

But I think your main point needs to be discussed: On one hand they want if possible to SAVE EVERYONE yet on the other hand they throw so many obstacles in the way of their intended aim.

Why do they demand their members refuse blood transfusions under threat of being excommunicated? If they just changed that one teaching they could have 20 million members.

Why turn Christmas and Easter into a doctrinal divide? Couldn't they join in the telling of those wonderful stories with their own spin all the while encouraging moderation. Same with birthdays.

Couldn't they have allowed alternative service to be a conscious matter instead of letting it ruin the lives of some of its members?

Why not let some members just work 20 hours of overtime each month and contribute that money to a sattelite network that could beam the message 24/7 around the world. They could then have well trained volunteers at the ready to talk to people that respond?

They could have retained their message of impending doom for mankind and everlasting life on earth as a reward for the faithful.

There could now be 100 million members with even larger real estate holdings.

It's not a conspiracy it's conservative authoritarianism at its worst. It's a joke!

• Simon
    Simon

Great topic.

Interesting about the # of hours to get converts shown in the charts. I think what happens is that in any country there are always 'low hanging fruit' ... or rather, nuts. The people who will fall for a new message just because its, well ... new. Not many new-age religions have probably reached many of these places, they tend to be, well frankly, American.

Once these people are consumed and the initial growth period has ended then the rate drops dramatically and it becomes less and less effective until they reach stagnation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit