messenger

This gives a whole new meaning to a "hiding place from the wind."

SUSPECT IN TEXAS TO RETURN TO MIAMI
    Staff reportS

04/05/2002
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Broward Metro
    Page 3B

A former Miami man is on his way back from San Antonio, Texas, where he was arrested earlier this week and charged with running a fraudulent securities scheme that targeted mostly elderly investors.

Raymond L. Knowles, an elder in his Jehovah's Witness church, preyed upon other members of his congregation, according to a federal indictment. He persuaded them to invest in promissory notes, promising an annual return of 8.5 percent to 9.25 percent. The notes were worthless.

Through his company, All Diversified Financial Services Inc., Knowles issued more than $533,000 of the notes, the indictment states.

After his arrest Tuesday in Texas, Knowles was ordered to return to Miami and released on a $500,000 personal surety bond.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Please tell me he wasn't released on $500,000 of his VICTIM'S money....

• simplesally
    simplesally

What is so irritating is that JWs say they don't have a clergy.... They DOOOOO......ok its unpaid and they don't have a special title that is supposed to in front of their name, but they do bear titles and are given 'DOUBLE HONOR' and then when something like this happens they wonder how so many got suckered by simply a brother, "not a clergyman, not like those evangalists or Catholics."

• AlanF
    AlanF

You're absolutely right, simplesally. But as usual, the Society wants to have its cake and eat it too. It wants the "honor" of being able to claim "we have no clergy" so as to be able to claim "we're just like the early Christians, not like the modern nasty religionists!" But it wants its non-clerical (HAHAHA!) elders to have all the benefits accorded by many countries to real clergy. Typical Watchtower hypocrisy!

AlanF

• anewperson
    anewperson

I'm told that since Fidelity ($20 mil scam) they're backing other scams like NONI whatever that may be and I think something like MHM. I guess these guys donate to the Watchtower boys and get a tax write off as well as a green-light to keep plucking the trusting innocents in the kingdom halls. Anybody know what a NONI or MHM are?

• sunscapes
    sunscapes
    Please tell me he wasn't released on $500,000 of his VICTIM'S money....

Ahhh...shucks, I can't tell you that....

I Can tell you that, according to what I read, that (a) none of the money is yet recovered/recoverable (b) by releasing him he has precious time between court dates to hide/transfer assets offshore and otherwise and (c) if he is not to immediately turn over other money other than the 500,000 for surety, then he has used the benefit of 500,000 for release and has 33,000 more to play with while he contemplates his next move... (d) don't be surprised if he flies the coop.

but then, aren't elders to be accorded "double honor"???

so maybe next time he'll ask the seniors for double their hard-earned life savings to "invest" for them.

"investor beware" has to take on REAL SERIOUSNESS these days...or bye bye money

so much for the "good name" of the congregation, which everybody wants to protect over all else like the holy grail...

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

>> What is so irritating is that JWs say they don't
    >> have a clergy.... They DOOOOO......ok its unpaid
    >> and they don't have a special title
    >> that is supposed to in front of their name, but they do bear
    >> titles and are given 'DOUBLE HONOR'

What amazes me about exes is that they act like they actually
    expect Jehovahs Witnesses somehow to be different than other
    religions. The brain washing of religion in general runs so
    deep that people still in this age think it is of benefit.
    And with exes, ex mormons, ex witnesses, ex catholics, they
    run on decrying even the least or the great 'misdeeds' of
    the leaders or flock of the religion in question.

For my part I trust people, of all religions one hundred and
    fifty percent. But I cover my own ass anyhow. What makes me
    think that a catholic is going to harm me less than a witness?
    Or a painter less than a lawyer? Or even, My own people, Irish,
    less than say a German?

As far as old people, and how they are taken in by all these
    scams all of the time...how why? Arent we taught that they
    are wiser than their youngers? Not so if they keep being tricked
    all the time. Has not life given them enough experience to
    double check everything and get a LAWYER to check everything.
    Or a proper expert? Have we forgotten the statement, SECOND
    OPINION?

We, not others, are the captains of our own souls, and it is
    time people started standing up for themselves.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Hyghlandyr: The problem here is not that we X-JWs expect better from the JWs (we know better than that). It's that the JWs that the 'Elders' are supposed to be protecting are often taking advantage of their position to 'fleece the flock'. This is far from the first time I've heard of scams like this being made upon poor (often very under-educated) JWs. Sad to say there are a lot of JWs who prey upon the weak-minded people the religion attracts. Not just elders - but elders would seem to have an even higher standard of conduct being they're to be protecting the 'flock'.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

That is the point I was making, all of these things happen all the time in every group. I do not even raise an eyebrow when I hear that a witness defrauds this or that one. I do however raise an eyebrow that at one time I was naive enough to actually expect that they would not. And that really is what this is about, our former expectation that they wouldnt do that. And a subtle, psychological underpining, nawing at the back of our heads, that they still wont. As you said these are elders and they are supposed to be shepherding, protecting the flock. Well, that may be what we think. But I dont think they are supposed to be protecting the flock. I think they exist to protect the interests of the organization and its leaders, including its financial interests. You, and I, and the rest of the exes, are not even a blip on their radar screens. I'm happy to be out and aware of such things now. Rather than being taken in by JW and other 'loving' christian scams.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

UPDATE - He was convicted! Two articles follow:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20021101&Category=APN&ArtNo=211010953&Ref=AR

Miami-Dade company founder guilty of fraud

The Associated Press

A financial company founder charged with bilking mostly elderly members of his church by offering "safe" investments while running an old-style fraud has been convicted on all counts.

A federal jury found Raymond L. Knowles guilty Thursday on 16 counts of mail fraud, four counts of wire fraud and four counts of securities fraud, Miami U.S. Attorney Marcos Daniel Jimenez reported Friday.

Knowles, formerly of Opa-locka and Pembroke Pines, was arrested April 2 in San Antonio, Texas, then released on $500,000 bail before his Miami trial.

He will remain free at least until a ruling expected later this month by U.S. District Court Judge Donald L. Graham, who presided over the trial, on a defense motion for bond pending sentencing.

Knowles' Miami-Dade County-based company, All Diversified Financial Services Inc., targeted mostly elderly members of his Jehovah's Witness church and people Knowles met through them.

His company promised clients monthly returns of 8.5 percent to 9.25 percent when market rates were lower and the business was losing money.

The charges covered promissory notes issued by All Diversified from 1997 to 2000. The company was dissolved as a corporation by Florida regulators in October 1998.

Through All Diversified, Knowles actually ran a Ponzi scheme, in which old investors are paid using money from new investors. Knowles used some of the money to pay for leases on vehicles for himself and his wife, and to pay his business, personal and other expenses.

Knowles could be sentenced to up to five years in prison for each mail and wire fraud count and up to 10 years for each count of securities fraud.

A sentencing hearing was set for Jan. 9 before Graham.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/miami/sfl-111ponzischeme,0,3520863.story?coll=sfla-news-miami

Elder convicted of defrauding church members, others out of millions

sun-sentinel.com
    Posted November 1 2002, 2:13 PM EST

MIAMI An elder in the Jehovahs Witness church was convicted on Friday of defrauding elderly and financially unsophisticated church members and others out of millions of dollars.

Federal prosecutors said Raymond L. Knowles, who lists addresses in Opa-locka, Pembroke Pines and San Antonio, preyed upon members in his congregation and others by persuading them to invest in promissory notes and promising them an annual return of 8.5 percent to 9.25 percent. The notes were worthless.

Through his company, All Diversified Financial Services Inc., Knowles issued more than $533,000 of the notes, the federal indictment stated.

To perpetuate the scheme over a number of years, the government said, Knowles used a Ponzi type scheme that used funds obtained from later investors to make payments to early investors. He also diverted investor funds to lease luxury cars for his and his wife's personal use, and to pay personal, business and other expenses, including trips to South Africa and Disney World, the government said.

In all, Knowles was convicted of 16 counts of mail fraud, four counts of wire fraud and four counts of securities fraud. He faces a maximum of five years of imprisonment for each mail and wire fraud count and a maximum of 10 years in federal prison with respect to each of the securities fraud counts.

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Jan. 9 before U.S. District Court Judge Donald L. Graham.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit