Bachelor's Degree

by mamamo 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mamamo
    mamamo

I finally graduated with my Bachelor's Degree last Saturday. I really wish I hadn't taken as long as I did. My high school graduation was 30 years ago. But better later than never. Now to see about getting the better job.

One thing I can say about being raised a JW is that I do know how to study. My overall GPA is 3.74, not bad if I say so myself.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

I had to log in to give you hearty congratulations. I love what you did for yourself. I did the same, but got a two year degree, at the age of 44. It was the best thing I did for myself after leaving "it". And we do know how to study. It was the same. 4.0 for me. 3.74 rocks!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Congratulations! What a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

What a GPA! Perhaps grad or prof'l school is calling. There were a few normal adults in my class. They were so focused. It was cool because they offered us some life experience and wisdom that was free. Be proud!

• moshe
    moshe

Congratulations! I hope you do find a better paying job. -- and look for one that has a pension.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Congratulations! I hope you do find a better paying job. -- and look for one that has a pension.

In the states, your best bet is a government job if you need a pension. I will give this one to my dad, by the time he reaches retirement age he will have a pension from two jobs (the army and the prison system) plus his social security. All with no college degree to boot.

Me, I will be lucky if I have a decent sized 401k to live on and I have a BS in Engineering. My how times have changed.

At any rate, congrats on the degree, may it take you where you want to go.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Congratulations!

I've started my enrolment process for a diploma in Graphic Design... can't wait. Have decided that since my current plan of getting yet another crappy retail job which I hate isn't working it's time to change tactics and use the free time that I have to my long term advantage and get off this whole getting-a-crappy-job-that-gets-me-by-temporarily routine and start directly aiming for what I want to be doing more aggressively.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hey Brin! PM

• mamamo
    mamamo

I currently have a local government job. And I have been here about 14 years, so have a pretty good pension from that but the times are changing and now I have to pay 3% towards it. If I stay with the government, I can have my student loans paid off in 10 years. But it all depends on the money and what advancements I can get. We haven't had raises in about 5 years so it isn't good.

• moshe
    moshe

My neighbor is a retired waste-water treatment pant operator (poop plant) from Ohio. He started out as a utility man and worked up- it was a city job with a nice pension. He is 55 and makes about $50K a year with his pension ( no SS- his job was exempt)- He mentioned how all his educated HS friends made fun of his job- but they aren't laughing now. Sometimes the lowly government job without the glitz is the one to retire from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit