Jodie Arias 1st Degree Murder trial--have you been following it?

by FlyingHighNow 32 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Okay, kiddies, I have to agree about CNN a bit. Compared to MSNBC, CNN was like a media circus. It's funny, I used to be able to tolerate Nancy Grace as much I tolerate having huge splinters all in my finger tips. She grew on me a little during this Jodi Arias trial. However, I think Judge Larry Seidlin must have sat her down and had a talk with her about the mob justice involved with the Jodi Arias case, because she has been mentioning we should be glad that in the USA it's an impartial jury of Jodi's peers who decide Jodi's verdict and fate and not the mob and media.

Judge Larry Seidlin has some pretty true and sobering things to say about Jodi not receiving a fair trial with the jury never being sequestered. He blames the non sequester on pressure on Judge Sherry Stephens to keep the costs down. Hotels and meals for a sequestered jury cost a lot of money, especially when you're looking at four months.

Here's what Judge Larry has to say about Jodi and whether she has received a fair trial:

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Larry Seidlin

Editor’s note: Larry Seidlin was the presiding judge over the Anna Nicole Smith murder trial. After serving as prosecutor in Broward County, he was elected as Florida’s youngest judge. Now retired, he lectures around the country.

The road or journey for proper justice and reasonable fairness in a high-profile case is fraught with landmines inside and outside the courthouse.

There are challenges and misconceptions in trying high-profile cases involving people like Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson, Casey Anthony, O.J. Simpson, and now Jodi Arias. The greatest challenge in a case of this magnitude is to completely block out any information from the jury concerning Arias that is not presented in the courtroom. This is a monumental task that no opinion or information is brought to the attention of any one juror.

This is tough enough when the jury is sequestered. In the Arias case, it is a miscarriage of justice that the jury is not sequestered. Any error, any scintilla of information would completely pollute or subvert the rights of either the state or defendant.

Recently, it was brought to the court’s attention that Juror No. 5 was poisoned, was so biased and prejudiced, that the juror could not render a fair and impartial verdict and had to be removed from the case.

I believe if a thorough inquiry of the other jurors took place -- the peeling of an onion if you will -- there would be grounds for the judge to declare a mistrial. If the bias and prejudice possessed by some of the jurors is so pervasive, Arias cannot receive a fair trial.

If the court grants a mistrial, the state of Arizona would have to expend millions of additional dollars to retry Arias. Additionally, the public, witnesses, law enforcement and a new jury would have to go through this horror show again -- the vivid, brutal and explicit pictures of Travis Alexander, the crime scene and all Arias’ sexual escapades, fantasies and fog.

Are the above factors the reason why the judge hesitated in granting a mistrial? Is she letting everything take place and putting the burden of sorting out justice on the appellate court? This way, the judge would avoid biting the bullet and making the hard decisions. The appellate court is under no time constraints, so the Arias case could languish for years in the big black hole of the appellate docket.

The numerous legal pundits who were assessing and evaluating the Casey Anthony case were convinced that she would be found guilty of first-degree murder. I, on the other hand, continued to pound the studio desk on HLN and other major media outlets that Anthony would walk based on the evidence submitted to the jurors in the courtroom.

In the Anthony case, extraneous information was being presented to the TV viewers, but not to the jury. If you viewed only what the Anthony jurors were viewing, a reasonable person or juror would conclude that the state failed to prove first-degree murder. I believe that the prosecution was swept away with all the media attention and overcharged Anthony with first-degree murder instead of manslaughter.

It's essential to the administration of justice that the lawyers remain in their cages. You don't want them acting like Tarzan in the jungle, pounding their chest and hoping information gets leaked to the jury in order to prejudice their verdict or using the media attention as an infomercial for their future career. We saw this take place with the prosecutor Juan Martinez in the Arias trial, when he was posing for pictures with the general public.

As a judge in one of the above high-profile cases and someone who has personally observed every minute of the Anthony and Arias trials, I see that these types of trials cause some media outlets to do everything they can to spin a specific result or verdict. Having been in the middle of a storm like that, I know the Arias jury must be protected, guarded and free of this feeding frenzy.

Whatever verdict the jury reaches is not a popularity contest or a political poll. Whatever the jury’s conclusions are, they’re based upon their blood, sweat and tears. This judgment must go to the very essence of their being. It must be truthful, honest and forthright and be based solely upon the evidence presented to them as the trier of fact.

During the Anna Nicole Smith trial, my life was threatened numerous times. There was one particular death threat that stated "your robe will be dripping with blood." One of the supervisors in the sheriff’s department requested that I receive 24-hour protection (but being a guy from the Bronx, the only thing I'm afraid of is a dog coming at me with its teeth). These high-profile cases bring out every nut and demented person who uses them as a platform to potentially harm the players in this theater or utilize social media anonymously with harmful, vicious comments that have no correlation to reality.

The courts of America recognize there is no such thing as perfect justice -- it just needs to be fair and reasonable. Therefore, this jury should have been sequestered from day one.

• free2beme
    free2beme

First time I saw a photo of this woman, I thought

"That is one crazy looking bitch!"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Seidlin made an absolute fool of himself, wearing judicial robes on HLN. He does raise points, though, that no other lawyer seems to entertain on HLN.

The New York Times ran a front page video addressing the HLN and CNN coverage on its digital site.

The lawyers are so bad. I do not think they are that nonsophisticated. They will say whatever the viewing audience wants to hear. It does cost money to sequester but, if the jury is contaminated, starting all over takes a lot more money, not to mention stress on family members.

People murder each other b/c of relationship problems all the time. It is sad but true. I never found Arias strikingly beautiful. The sex was not so kinky. We no longer live in the Victorian era. I can fully understand a JW or Southern Baptist being shocked by the testimony. Something tells me that columnists in foreign countries are writing essays on why Americans are so attracted to this car wreck.

I would sometimes watch Court TV years ago. It was educational and far more interesting. In my view, HLN is titillating viewers with silly sex talk. Why did the judge allow her to testify for so many days? I hear it is a world record. War criminals have spent far less time on the witness stand.

Can you imagine working hard to build an appealable record of someone you don't like on a personal level and then hear her interview 20 minutes after her sentencing? She may be bright and uses good vocabulary words but she is wacko and triggers people.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I didn't follow it until a friend messaged me that he was following it. Then I looked into it.

These are the points other than, Morman, anal sex, crazy stories, that stood out to me.....

My friend that pointed this story out to me is my age, we dated when we were 19 we are both in our 50's now. My friend has been writing Jodie, since the before the trial began and has been sending her gifts. He was hoping they would find her "not guilty" I said, "then what" he said, "then I'm going to fly out there,........ w/my camera"

Jodie is one week younger than my daughter.
    I can't even imagine if that was my daughter.

• TD
    TD
    My friend has been writing Jodie, since the before the trial began and has been sending her gifts.

Hybristophilia?

• baltar447
    baltar447

I didn't follow it, her demeanor and behavior sounds WAY too much like my soon to be ex wife...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Seidlin made an absolute fool of himself, wearing judicial robes on HLN.

What makes you say that?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Seidlin's a judge. HLN probably had him wear the robes so people would know he's a judge. I liked what he had to say. I don't care who you are, a fair trial should be a right.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have been totally avoiding this. The other day, they turned this on where i was visiting. And so, i was subjected to a solid hour or 2 of it. At some point some lady w a screachy banshee voice came on to give her opinion (like somebody cares). I left.

They (the media) are certainly jamming this for every second of airtime they can muster. Every trick in the book is being dredged up to hook every breathing person onto thus stupid shit. The circus is absolutely astounding.

Carry one. Don't want to spook the birds feeding on this carcass/product.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit