Ever Have A Close Call?

by rocketman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cruising on highway in rural quebec, my friend driving, something was rattling in the back seat. I turn around to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, my friend driving turns as well, to see what it is. When a driver turns his body like that, he can't help but turn the car as well. There was another car, oncoming at highway speed. Our cars made contact and scraped the full lenght down the sides. Our rear bumper was pulled loose on one side, not totally pulled out.

This was a rental car. We backed the car up against a telephone or power pole, and pushed the bumper tube back into its mounting. We buffed off the scrape down the side of the car. It didn't look damaged, at all. That is how we returned to to the rental company, when we got back to edmonton.

S

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive had a few in my life--mostly avoiding unwanted pregnancies

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

One time in an OH-58A (Bell Jet Ranger - US army version; This was many years ago) myself and another pilot were flying down I-26 in South Carolina. We had gone down to just above the tree tops to pass by an Army convoy heading SE. I was flying right seat and was on the controls, watching the convoy pass by on the left, when my stick buddy suddenly pulled the cyclic back. Just as he did I saw high tension power lines pass close under us thru the chin bubble.

Another time I was flying solo to Raleigh-Durham NC in a retired Army T-41. The aircraft had seen its day and had numerous small squaks including fuel seeping from the fuel tanks and two non-functioning fuel indicators (one of which I did not know about). As I got within range of Raleigh I called approach for vectors in and they told me to descend (I think it was from 3500 to 2500). As soon as I lowered the nose, the engine went silent. Below was mostly suburban housing, a river, and a heavily forested area. For about a 1000-1500 feet I tried to figure out what in the world had happened. Finally, I switched the fuel selector from the tank that indicated mostly full to the one that indicated empty and the engine came back to life. I experienced 'weak-knee syndrom' when I got out after landing at Raleigh.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Wow, some real hair-raisers, and many of them a lot closer-to-disaster than my experience yesterday!

Giordano, I aslo nearly drowned in the high school swimming pool. I got in over my head, literally, and before I knew it I was struggling. A fellow classmate rescued me.

Satanus, I know what you mean about drivers who turn around. A guy I used to hang around with would constantly turn to talk to back seat passengers when he drove, which is one reason I no longer hang around with him.

• sir82
    sir82

Driving back home after a ski trip - this was about 20 years ago. I was in the back seat, left side.

Car hit a patch of ice, driver lost all control, slid sideways.

Car behind us slammed into us, point of impact was maybe 1-2 feet directly behind where I was sitting.

Emerged with nothing more than bruised kidneys and massive soreness for about a week.

I distinctly remember after the impact, wriggling my toes & fingers to make sure I wasn't paralyzed.

I realy hope that is my lifetime allotment of close calls.

• jam
    jam

Chopper(helicopter) flying to the Bob Hope show, last minute I

jumped on another chooper. The chopper I was supposed

tp fly on, went down (shot down).

• cofty
    cofty

Wet road - diesel spillage - wooden fence - oops!

It was about 7 or 8 years ago. As I corrected the back end slide I ended up driving along the fence line at about 50mph. The fence rails were banging through the front windscreen and passing inches from my head. Two of them hit the tailgate so hard it reshaped the back end of the car. The one in the picture came between the rim and hub of the steering wheel and got wedged an inch or two from the middle of my chest.

I walked a way with a cut hand and only needed a few stiches.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Driving down the interstate in Pennsylvania, I see cars flying left and right from the lane I was traveling in...there was a semi-truck driving the wrong way towards us.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have had several. Auto accidents avoided by a split second decision happen routinely. The last Paul Simon concert in Central Park the crush was so bad I was certain I was going to die and never exit the park. I was attacked by a patient in a hospital who was only out of state prison for manslaugher for less than two weeks when she decided to kill me. A prostitute grabbed her and tackled her down, down, down.

So many times I thought I was going to be raped.

The auto is very serious. They are death machines.

Life is full of risk -- esp. if you are an apostate.

• finally awake
    finally awake

my mom and i nearly drowned when i flipped the car into a flooded creek. we were lucky that a cop pulled a semi over less than a quarter mile back. they heard us crash and came to us out . of the water

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit