Meaningful Study

by Awake at last 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• prologos
    prologos

awake at last: It is said about science that it gives not permanent answers, but

allows us to formulate ever better questions. and

science has served us well. 

wt studies have not served us well, because the questions are dictated by the dictators. 

• smiddy
    smiddy

An excellent post awake at last  , it is laughable that jehovahs witnesses consider themselves bible students ,they don`t  even come close to the definition .Students of the watchtower ? maybe , but what is studious about reading a question , underlining the pre-conceived answer in the paragraph , then moving on to the next indoctrination .

The average JW  knows jack sh*t about the bible,its history,either the jewish perception of the old testament , or the many writings that were around in the first couple of centuries ,  rejected by apostate christendom ,  who defined what was to become the accepted bible cannon , and jehovahs witnesses follow that today , including the name jehovah invented by a catholic monk in the 13th century.

smiddy

• Trailer Park Pioneer
    Trailer Park Pioneer

When I first started to fade and use the Bible while dumping the Watchtower it was shocking to see how the Bible slam's the Watchtower's Perverted Teachings!  The Watchtower and Bible collide, that's why Charles Taze Russell and Freddy Franz said "People need our literature more than the Bible" and "From our experience if you had the choice of having "Studies in the Scriptures" and "The Bible", you would be best off with "Studies" because the Bible only would lead you in to darkness!" Charles Taze Russell's words paraphrased.

Please read Galatians and than Philippians and notice how different the Bible's teaching is!  As you move towards Romans and Corinthians it's painfully obvious we knew nothing about the Bible's true message!  I have a few websites with great apologist if your interested in pure Bible and little of man's views, glad your spiritual!

The Watchtower "Question and Answer" method is great at inculcating Propaganda and force feeding wild speculation down people's throats and if you don't agree, your like Korah!  No allowance for deep study and synthesis is permitted because their way of teaching is only to indoctrinate stagnate ideas from eight stale outdated religious fakes!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Tpp, I hear it 's now 7 stale outdated religious fakes. Not sure I agree that they're fakes, but def stale and outdated.
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last

TPP I would be interested in the names of those websites you mentioned in the above post. 

Love your cartoon picture.  Too true.  They look like Charles Dickens characters and about as enlightened too.

• jhine
    jhine

Awake , way  to go !

How about being really radical and following some of the above advice and just reading the Bible ,but not the NWT .Yes there are tricky bits but as I have said before a lot if not all of the seeming contradictions are due to innacurate translation or not understanding the cultural norms of the day . There is much online to help with problems and I am available to pm .        Jan.  

• bohm
    bohm

A fun thing to do when reading a WT is to see how many "study" questions can be answered by reading the paragraph. For instance:

Q: Circuit overseers have noted what situation in many congregations?

A: Circuit overseers around the world have noted that in many congregations, more needs to be done to train brothers—

Q: (a) How do the Scriptures show the importance of training, and why should all of us be interested in this? (See footnote)

A: As a shepherd, you no doubt realize that personal training is important. You know that more brothers are needed to keep existing congregations spiritually strong and to allow new congregations to be formed. (Read Isaiah 60:22.) You also know that God’s Word urges you to “teach others.” (Read 2 Timothy 2:2.) + 

Q: (b) Why may some elders find it hard to train others?A: After you have taken care of family needs, job requirements, congregation responsibilities, and other urgent matters, there just seems to be no time left to train others in the congregation
    Q:  What might be one reason why training at times is postponed?A: some think: ‘Training is important, but it is not as urgent as other congregation matters that simply cannot wait. If I have to postpone training for a while, the congregation will continue to function.’

and so on :-). 
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last

Thank you Jhine for your comments.  I know what you are saying about Bibles other than the NWT.  It was actually interesting using the NWT and the NIV as the NIV used one different word in one scripture which changed things from the NWT a bit.  Mark who wrote the essay said about a Greek word used for that very change so I got out the Kingdom Interlinear Translation (never used it before) and I'm no Greek scholar but the word in Greek did look to me to be closer to the NIV word than the NWT word used.  Interesting I thought.  If I had abandoned the NWT, I would not have picked up on that.  It may seem silly, but I need to have confidence in other translations and compare for a while with the NWT before I completely put it aside, be patient with me.

Thanks for your offer to pm you too.  I may just do that.

• jhine
    jhine

Awake ,I get what you are saying about the NWT and comparing it to others to see the differences. I meant what I said about pm'ing.I promise that I will not try to steer you in any particular direction just try if  I can to shed light on problem passages .Also as someone who knows the Bible from the "other side " that may be of use .

• rebel8
    rebel8

IMO no study aids of any kind (including group study or essays/publications) should be used.

The god of the bible says he wants us to worship him, and says he gave us brains to understand and this book to read. Hence, we should be able to read it ourselves and it should be fairly obvious it's true. If the bible is what it says it is, anyone reading it should be blown away by it so much that they fall on their knees and weep.

There should be no mystery about its basic teachings/passages.

Yet religions/people persist in reinterpreting what it says, so much that most people don't read it and the rest immediately revise its meaning in their heads once they do. Instead we need to deal with the bible on its own terms, understand it for what it really says.

I believe reading the bible yourself, w/o influence from others, is the best possible thing to do to solve the mystery of what to believe. It will be very obvious once you read it without influence from others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit