Skydiving/Parachuting. A disfellowship offense?

by stealthmode-brazil 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stealthmode-brazil
    stealthmode-brazil

Hi. I'm an active Witness from Brazil (Who would leave if it weren't for my family/friends inside) and always dreamed about practicing skydiving. But as radical sports are a no-no for witnesses... I wonder if any elder or ex-elder on this forum knows if an active JW, practices skydiving/parachuting once and/or regularly, can he or she be disfellowship on that basis? I'm considering secretly jumping but afraid if someone finds out. Thanks.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I’m not entirely sure but its looked down upon, it would definitively result in disciplinary matters

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

haha. back in the day they used the excuse that you were either testing jehobo or not regarding your body as sacred. i got some major flak for joking about sacrificing blood to the skateboard gods. disfellowshiped? i doubt it... but shunned for being more interesting than the elders kid... affirmitive.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

I think Parachuting without a chute would be a DF offense, otherwise couldnt it be considered practising for a publisher who might get dropped into deep isolated territory to spread the News of Gods impending Kingdom!!!

• sir82
    sir82

I've never known a JW who did a sky-dive, but here is my best guess:

If the elders find out about it, they would give "strong counsel" to never do it again.

If the JW then continued doing it anyway, he'd get disfellowshipped, not so much for skydiving, but for "brazen conduct" in defying the elders' counsel.

• stealthmode-brazil
    stealthmode-brazil

Statistically, parachuting is much less dangerous than driving a car in a big city like São Paulo or Rio. (Brazil has high traffic death rates) So I don't understand the illogical WT reasoning.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It's been a while but I do remember that it was considered a df'ing offfense back when I attended the Nazi congregation. I remember objecting that it was no more dangerous than driving in Los Angeles

• BU2B
    BU2B

I would just do it regardless. You only live once. Live your life

• blondie
    blondie
    Taking unnecessary risks in the name of recreation can affect a true Christian’s precious relationship with Jehovah as well as his eligibility for special privileges in the congregation. (1 Timothy 3:2, 8-10; 4:12; Titus 2:6-8) Clearly, even when engaging in recreational activities, Christians do well to consider the Creator’s view of the sacredness of life.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000727

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

(vomit)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit