God Forbid!!!

by Stubborn Disbeliever 18 Replies latest social family

• Stubborn Disbeliever
    Stubborn Disbeliever

So my husband and I have 2 daughters. I've always wanted a whole bunch of kids, yes, even being raised a JW. My grandma is soooo against children. She had two, and didn't come in contact with JWs until my dad and aunt were about 12 and 13. Anyways, she is constantly telling me how I am just letting Jehovah kill my children, and that I really must not love them or the rest of my family. I just smile and ignore it.

Today I had a need to call her. She has me blocked for messages and calls on Skype (yet gets mad when I don't contact her....), so I called her house phone. My grandpa answered the phone, I told him to tell grandma to get on skype...he actually asked why and wanted to know what's going on. Sheesh. I simply told him that we haven't talked in a while.

Anyways, she gets to her computer and video calls us. I have my girls sitting on my lap and have small talk for a bit. It's my husband's birthday today, so I said how "old" he is and that I need to find a younger hubby lol. She then proceeds to tell the girls that we have 364 UNbirthdays (think the 1964 cartoon Alice In Wonderland) and we don't celebrate ONE day in the year. I held my tongue.

Now, the reason I called. I just casually bring up that they will be great grandparents for a third time! I just took a test yesterday (knew for a while, as females do for the most part). The camera was facing my grandpa for the most part. It took him a second to register what I said...then he gets a big ol' grin. (He always wanted lots of kids.) My grandma in the mean time, is trying (not too hard) to say "oh" in a fairly happy voice. Then she asks if I'm happy. I laughed hard for a minute and then told her that I'm am SO excited, and so is my husband.

I just find it funny (and horribly sad) how children are so looked down upon in the cult. It's such an amazing miracle. Especially being the one carrying this growing human...it's awesome! My mom and dad are the only ones from either side of the family to have children. My brother, sister and I have NO cousins. My mom's mom had 3 children, and my dad's mom had 2. It's such a tiny family, which is ok when it comes to the disowning and shunning, since it's not 100 family members down your throat. But still, it was pretty lonely growing up. I just can't wait to tell them about a fourth in a year or two ;) Should be fun.

I suppose this is just a post sharing my experience this morning, nothing that exciting or *news flash* worthy. :) But thanks for reading!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I get what you're saying. Every time I told my mother I was pregnant her reaction was always negative. When she found out I was pregnant with my last child my mother asked if I knew how to use birth control.

but after getting over the first nauseous trimester being pregnant was awesome. The labor, not so much.

• 3dogs1husband
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Congratulations and Best Wishes for your happy news!!!

• Comatose
    Comatose

Congrats! JWs can be sooo weird about kids and this stuff. I used to be that way! Hard to believe.

• zeb
    zeb

HM do you have Mrs Jones?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Congratulations !!!! I have three kids ,and loved being pregnant each time . Wished we could have had more ,I always wanted to have five.

Your Grandma 's reaction is typical of quite a few Witnesses in our area . I congratulated an Elder on becoming a Grandparent for the first time ,and he was all somber and actually surprised how happy I was for him . Another sister just went on and on about how she didn't want her grown children having kids in this system of things ....I told her that I would be estatic if one of mine had kids anytime soon .

They really live sad lives ...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Children detract from field service hours.

Congratuations! Have fun with your children.

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

Congratulations SD! Your grandmom sounds kind of crankie, but that happens when some people get older. Enjoy life and enjoy your children, they are the great treasure we get to enjoy in life.

• Stubborn Disbeliever
    Stubborn Disbeliever

My grandma is very straight forward. As soon as my husband and I got married (they pressured us into getting married because we were trying to have a baby), they said not to have any babies. So a month later, we told them I was pregnant. As soon as our daughter was a year, they said not to have any more. So we told them right then and there that we are pregnant with #2. And just 3 months ago, she told us that we don't need any more. I have two hands and two kids, that's more than enough. So I told her that I was actually in the process of having a miscarriage as she said that...she shut up, so it was nice telling her I was pregnant this time. :) Kind of a big F U.

I will have more kids, God willing. My husband and I love kids, and our kids love kids. We are good parents. And I'm not in some mind-controlling cult that makes you believe children are a burden lol. It's nice to feel so free. I have always wanted at least 4 kids, so I can't imagine not wanting any. Thank you for all of the congratulations everyone. We are so excited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit