What used to worry you the most about the great trib and Armageddon?

by Julia Orwell 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

In my 20's as a JW in the 1980's I used to worry whether Armageddon was even real or not. I worried that if Armageddon WAS NOT real ( which is true ) I would end up wasting my entire life on a pipedream. Here in 2013 at age 53 and out from the Witnesses for over 9 years now- I no longer worry about it. Everything's fine. Nothing's going to happen. The sun will come up each day and it will set each day as well

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Torture. I was sure I'd be beaten.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I use to worry that the big A would come when my football team was having a great season.

I use to hope that my favorite musicians would die before the big A so they could get a resurrection, then we could hang out and write songs together .

Neil Young, Eddie Vedder and I just keepin it real in paradise. Jeff Buckley, Hendrix, Lennon and many others are dead so that would work out fine for my paradise-musical pipe dreams. Crazy I know.

• Ding
    Ding
    I've believed deep down for years that I wouldn't make it.

I think a very high percentage of JWs feel the same way.

If so, how good is the WT's version of the "good news"?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Wow I'm noticing some themes here: terrified children and salvation that's impossible to attain. The wt has seriously messed people up. Whenever I used to think about Armageddon and the things that scared me and would subsequently worry, I'd 'correct' my thoughts to how I should be happy about it because it's what we're supposed to look to.

Funnily enough, my non Jw dad once got offended because I wasn't busting my gut trying to convert him to save him at Armageddon. He thought maybe I didn't care enough about him, but the truth is, I could feel in my bones that he wasn't going to die at Armageddon all those years in the Borg. How right I was.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

In its own way I now think the TOWER is malevolent toward mankind.

It exists for its own sake & not for its followers or for the whole world of our fellow humans.

I asked my father a few weeks ago if he thought the WT organisation had ever cared about HIM or shown him any Christ like love.

He thought a while & quietly admitted it hadn't even after his half century of servitude to it.

Long time JW's are starting to think.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

My parents reminding me of how horrible it will be and that I might be ripped away from them

Losing sleep at night because all of the children I knew at school and my teachers will all be killed

Worrying that my cats will starve to death because no one will be there to feed them

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was worried that it would not happen by 1975 (well, not really worried, more like intelligently aware that it would not) and that we would all be exposed as idiots.

Which, of course, we were.

But not all of us knew it (or were willing to admit it) at the time.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

The only time I felt really worried about the Armageddon was in 1991.

I worried about a disfellowshipped person and I worried about if I'd done enough.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I knew a sister who said we should never talk about what we are scared of, because Satan will hear you and use that thing to torture you (eg in 1984. Winston is faced with his greatest fear, rats) in the great tribulation when all the JWs are rounded up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit