What to Say When a Witness Comes to Your Door

by Darth Rutherford 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good one Darth !

I think that even if for some reason I don't get through the whole thing, thoughI think it is perfectly set up to lead 'em by the nose to Luke 21v8, the fact that they have cut and run stays with them.

I know that the conversations I had with Ministers of religion who knew their Bible and showed me problems with WT teaching stayed with me, and helped the Cognitive Dissonance within me build to a painful level.

If we can contribute to that we have accomplished some real good.

Thanks for your thoughtfull presentation, you get a "Good" on your counsel sheet ,and I would just like you top work on your breathing for next time. LOL

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

ssn587… wow! What a great experience! Although there are so many scriptures that can be used to show the organization isn’t correct, IMO Luke 21:8 is one of the most powerful verses I’ve found. The fact that you could hear a pin drop in a van full of psyched-up JWs out in FS testifies to the verse’s power. Undoubtedly it had an effect – and I bet it still haunts the dubs who haven't left yet.

Crazyguy… Absolutely! It has a big effect on new ones, but also on older ones too. I’m a 3 rd gener. I totally bought into it -drank the koolaid... hardcore. I served as an elder for years. Though I saw and knew many things that didn’t add up, I’d loyally push it all to the dark corners of my mind out of sight because the org just had to be true. However, when I read this verse, it all came crashing down. There was no denial anymore – no ignoring the facts. I had to make a choice: either the organization or Jesus Christ, because there's no way Jehovah and Jesus would use an organization that identically matches the ones Jesus said to avoid. This is a powerful verse – and very effective even on those who have been in the org all their lives.

clarity… thanks! I hope you get an opportunity to give a try... you won't regret it!

Phizzy… LOL, thanks for the good mark on my counsel sheet. Breathing was always something I had to keep working on (and I was the TMSchool Overseer)!

You are right, it all adds up to a breaking point. Cognitive dissonance won't last forever. Even if Luke 21:8 isn’t the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back, it certainly is a heavy load that can't be ignored. If a person doesn’t wake up immediately (like I did), it stays nestled in the recesses of their mind. They’ll eventually wake up.

If you get a chance to use this verse... please share your experiences. Newbies and Lurkers... if this verse had an impact on you, share your experience as well. We'd love to hear from you!

Everyone have a great day!

• carla
    carla

The only problem I see in this is that jw's do not admit they are jw's until you ask them about 3-4 times and by that time you are already getting quite annoyed (to say the least) with the jw at your door! Only speaking from my own personal experience though. I wish the conversations with one could go the way you have it. Good luck to those who try this, hope it gets one to think.

• moshe
    moshe

Me- can you tell, why don't JWs do a quick build food pantry, soup kitchen for the poor?

A blood transfusion is not the same as eating blood--Will a blood transfusion save the life of a starving man?

Do JWs shun family who decide they don't want to accept 100% of what the WT leaders tell them--(-JW answer-)-----You need to stop lying- Satan is the father of the lie, isn't he?

I see you have a child with you- is that the next generation? How many years long is a generation then? (JW answer) Why do your leaders tell you it's overlapping, unlimited?

Are you happy as a JW? (JW says yes) - You need to stop lying to yourself.

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

This is what I've told the JW who have come to my door.

I was raised a JW and they told me there was not a need to further educate myself, get married, have children, to shun my disfellowshipped sister. I am so glad that I decided to do the opposite. I received an education, married, have 2 wonderful sons and a grandson. Plus my sister is alive because she did not commit suicide because I was able to help her through the disfellowshipping, plus help her deal with some horrible circumstances that was caused by the teaching of the JW faith.

If there are younger...I always say don't let this religion take your youth and you wake up 30 - 40 years from now in a job that is going no where, listening to the same old drivel...that they continue to tell you that it's either new light or exciting news. There is so much life to be lived, receiving an education, traveling, living your dreams.

If they are older....I asked them. How much more of your life are you going to give to this organization that keep changing or lying to you, then calling it new light. There is so much life out there to live, other than spending it goingt to meetings, field service, conventions and to only find out that you are serving an Corporation that are telling you a lie about being the mediator for Christ. You should take the time to read Luke 21:8 and think about what religion is know for this.

They will run from your door like roaches when the light is turned on. But believe me, they will be thinking....but this is a seed that was drop into my head in field service and a co-worker. At the time time I thought they were putting demons on me...because I felt the most uncomfortable...the veil of WTBS was finally cracked.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Awesome DR! I've actually used that Luke 21:8 on my hubby.. I got the 'silence'.... JWs don't take that one in and if they do, they don't apply it to themselves. When they give it some thought then the cognitive dissonance sets in.

• jam
    jam

The typical JW response, Noah. Look at how

many years Noah preach.

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL @ MOSHE

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Oh my goodness! That is quite a conversation, wish this had been posted a day earlier.

I had a couple of young jw's come to my door Saturday morning. I was getting ready to go to a shower, and was in my robe yet. The young man just apologized for catching me at a bad time and quickly offered a book, which I politely declined. They rarely come in my neighborhood, but perhaps next time someone I know stops by, I will use some of this. I don't usually engage them in any conversation, But this might make someone start thinking! Thank you.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I like it. I also like the idea of engaging JWs at the door for long periods of time so that their time is limited in how many other households they can go to.

I just recently had my yearly meeting with the staff at my Dad's nursing home. The administrator and I talk about my Dad's religion. She said a couple of JW women came to her door back when her kids were young. The administrator was in a hurry getting ready to go out. Her hair was still in curlers as she went to the door. She asked the JW women if their religion banned blood transfusions. When the women answered 'Yes', the administrator said "I couldn't join your religion. I don't think God would want me to refuse my children blood if they needed it to save their life."

It's good to be an informed consumer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit