Some people think I'm patronising...

by nicolaou 11 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That means I think they're stupid.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sounds like a personal problem on their part.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Don't patronise me!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Please explain that again in simpler terms.

• Terry
    Terry

Frankly, I have a tendency to sound patronizing as well.

I try to work on it when I can, but, the tendency to state things with finality sets a "tone" others pick up on.

Learning to be inclusive was always difficult for me. I suppose I can blame it on being an only child and spoiled with

attention. But, maybe not.

It takes years to be able to hear criticism--much less act on it with a sense of gratitude than something can be repaired!

I've made more progress in interpersonal relations in the last 5 years than in the whole first 61 years!

I'm not smarter than anybody else. I'm just louder and more obnoxious. But, I'm workin' on it.

Maybe it would help if you ask for more information when you are accused of being patronizing.

Such as: "Can you give me an example, please?"

However--I think Nicolau is just being funny!

• stillin
    stillin

Hey, patron saints are patronizing. You could do worse. Don't feel bad, a lot of people are patronizing. It's better to be patronizing than to be,say, bossy or spiteful. Why not dedicate a day a week to thanking God that you aren't as bad as lots of other people.

sorry, was I being patronizing?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

If you're referring to what I said to you on the *When did you stop believing in God* thread: 'good grief that sounds condescending'..It is perhaps you that was making the assumption, that I thought that you as a person are patronising.. I was pointing out how what you said may sound to believers.. You were saying that 'Re, the OP and Topic Title, belief in god is optional. Believe in him if you wish'.. I misread that at the time as you giving others 'permission' to believe, which was of course an assumption on my part. For example, I was once at a door where I said 'well it is your choice whether to believe or not'.. He looked me right in the eyes and said 'yes I know' (difficult to convey in writing but he didn't look happy). Anyway, apologies if you felt I was accusing you, or sorry to waste your time if you didn't.. Love the irony in your Op, by the way ;)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You're right, nicolau. Some people *are* stupid.

Oops. Was that patronising?

• sir82
    sir82

There there, that's OK. At least you're trying!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is interesting. Peope post vicious things about me. Yet I receive great compliments via pms.

Perhaps you have the credentials, experience, and insight that others lack so they perceive you are patronizing.

The vast majority of real people tell me how nice and kind I am. Yet I am a demon to a select few. One poster never has anything much to say other than nastiness. It hurt me. Do I judge myself by wallflower standards? I hope not. So rather than being knocked down, I view such comments as a great compliment. When I have money to mat and frame, I am going to print out the comments directed at me and hang them on a wall, next to my diplomas and other awards. You cannot purchase such good press. Take it from the source.

To truly patronize is to dumb yourself down so everyone loves you. This is a very broad forum. If you dumb yourself down or try hard not to be offensive, you are patronizing others on this board and myself. Be yourself -- pretty please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit