NWT

by amicus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• amicus
    amicus

When reading the New World Translation I used to sometimes think, “Who translated this gobbledygook?”.
    I just read another passage where the NWT manages to slaughter the English language.
    Acts 21:30
    NWT “…., and a running together of the people occurred:…”
    KJV “…, and the people ran together:…”
    NIV “…, and the people came running from all directions.”
    This is an excerpt from the “Foreword” of the NWT; “It is a very responsible thing to translate the Holy Scriptures……..into modern speech.” -New World Bible Translation Committee.
    Sooooooo, why weren’t people consulted who could responsibly use modern speech?
    Here’s another gem.
    Job 6:6
    NWT “…, Or is there any taste in the slimy juice of marshmallow?”
    KJV “…or is there any taste in the white of an egg?”
    NIV “…or is there flavor in the white of an egg?”
    I suppose you could argue that Job carried bags of marshmallows around with him, but why, if they had no taste? Maybe his marshmallows were nutritious.

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Amicus! That marshmallow thing is too funny. Had to look that one up and see it with my own two eyes. Still laughing

Marshmallow is an edible wildflower though, to quote my "Edible wild plant book"......"Whole plant contains mucilagelike material, however the roots are the best source".......YUM! hehehe I have NO idea what the original Hebrew would be referring to though.

Would be interesting to see which is a closer match, egg whites or wild flower.

Any Hebrew experts out there? My interest is piqued now.

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

Edited by - eyes_opened on 4 February 2001 0:27:56

• amicus
    amicus

eyes_opened,
    I didn't think of consulting my "Edible Wild Plant Book"(smarty-pants), nor my Herbalogy books. I do know the plant is sometimes called mallow as well (it's native to Europe?). That's why I used the "why eat something tasteless reasoning". I'd like to know what translation is accurate (the NRS translates it "..or is there any taste in the juice of mallows?).
    The wording is still priceless "slimy juice of marshmallow".
    How could you read that Scripture to anyone and keep a straight face?

Edited by - amicus on 4 February 2001 0:54:49

• larc
    larc

Hey Amicus,

In the forward of the NWT they should put the following, "This version of the Bible was put together by people who never went to college and learned some Greek and Hebrew in between meetings and field service."

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Oh I know! It's too funny. Sounds completely goofy.

Reminds me of the King James Version when it's describing Esau I think it was eating his stew...it read something like "And he sod pottage" Sounds a bit rude!

"One Persons Heresy Is Anothers Truth"

• amicus
    amicus

Larc,
    I recently had a discussion with an ex-DO, and Gilead grad who met with F. Franz in 1958 to discuss his concerns with the translation of the preposition "in" ("en", Gr.), which F.F. translated seven different ways in the first two chapters of Colossians. After three hours of discussion he said F.F. was unable to answer any of his questions. He felt that F.F. had at best a "cursory and superficial" knowledge of Greek.
    At least he could have used better English!
    Eyes,
    I haven't read that in the KJV in a while, I better check that one out too!:)

• joel
    joel

The NIV is a very readable, accurate Bible...the one I do my Bible reading from.
    The NASB is recognized as the most accurate word for word Bible...losin' some of it's readability in the process...one I use for study.

Both Bibles are given high marks by Hebrew/Greek scholars.

Scholar...is a word unfamiliar to the New World Bible Translaton Committee of Franz,Knorr,Schroeder and Gangas.

No Westcott n Hort to be found there!

The point made, is never over-stated Amicus!

Pax,
    joel

• amicus
    amicus

Joel,
    My favourite is the NIV. I use the NWT (large print, reference) to locate Scriptures 'cause I'm familiar with it, but I always go to another translation to read the scripture.
    I don't have the NASB. Not yet anyways! Thanks for the recommendation.

• Simon
    Simon

I have a copy of the NT that shows eight translations to a page - it's excellent for comparing scriptures and if 7 say one thing and 1 says something different you can pretty much guess which one is wrong. Helps to avoid bias. It doesn't include the NWT though...

• joel
    joel

Amicus,
    Funny you should say that you use the NWT large-print to look up texts...cuz I still do that too...for the same reason...it's all studied up, from all my studies over the years...but I'm weaning myself away from it...as I get my NASB all underlined and studied up as well

Pax,
    joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit