What did you think when you visit the museum as a JW.

by James Mixon 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

When you stood there in front of that Dinosaur display did you connect the

dots, or did you like me believe that they made a mistake in calculating their

ages. No way that mammal could be older then 7000 years, LOL.

After around two or three years out of the borg I was visiting the LA museum

with my grandson, I stood there in front of a million old mammal and thought WTH

was I thinking. The Bible can really mass up your brain and being a JW just make

you brain dead.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I thought at the time when I was a JW, oh sure they found all the bones

together in one mass hole and they just selected different bones and

constructed this dinosaur, but it prove there was a flood.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I never belived that dinos died at the Flood, T-rex was vegetarian, or that the "Creative Days" were only 7000 years each.

It was actually suggested to me by one elder to "be careful"... and implying that the WTS needed to assert these things, because if it didn't, it was a slippery slope to accepting evolution.

x

I suppose, in retrospect, he was right.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I never saw a dino at the British Museum , it is full of human history. Congs would arrange visits & there was a group of pioneers who (I think counted their time) and took parties round .. The museum descriptions say that Jerusalem fell in 587 BCE , the guide said 607 BCE . I totally believed our guide and marvelled how "the world" could be so wrong so often......
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

injusticesystem - " I marvelled how 'the world' could be so wrong so often...

I remember thinking that on occasion, too (despite the revelation of my previous post).

x

Eventually, I realized that that attitude stemmed from ideology being given precedence over facts and evidence.

And when that happened, I also concluded that any belief system that favored ideology in spite of facts and evidence was inherently and irrevocably flawed, because, in the end, the facts and evidence would inevitably overwhelm any ideology-biased conclusions no matter how much the idealist wanted otherwise.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Going to the Natural History Museum and seeing the skulls representing the timeline of human evolution was part of my wake up process. How anyone can go there and not question something about WT chronology is beyond me.
  • Onager
    Onager
    BluesBrother 9 minutes ago
    I never saw a dino at the British Museum , it is full of human history. Congs would arrange visits & there was a group of pioneers who (I think counted their time) and took parties round .. The museum descriptions say that Jerusalem fell in 587 BCE , the guide said 607 BCE . I totally believed our guide and marvelled how "the world" could be so wrong so often......
    I went on those tours a few times when I was young. I used to be really excited about going... because there was an amazing comic book shop over the road from the museum entrance. Actually, now I come to think about it, going to Cardiff Assembly was exciting because there was a Forbidden Planet comic store just round the corner from the stadium! Since leaving the JW's I haven't been in a Comic book store, but there's the internet and Amazon now of course!
  • fiddler
    fiddler

I believed what my dad told me, that Dino's were big massive vegetation lawn mowers that would later die and provide oil for humans later. He believed this was all in Jehovah's plan...yeh right...oil!!

when I was young there was a lot more church attendance and a higher percentage that believed the Bible was from God so it was not just JW'S. I recently was viewing an old Looney Tunes cartoon, black and white so really old, and in it was a caveman alongside dinosaurs. I think it was more or less the general opinion in the mid 20th century among the bible believing populace that Dino's and humans coexisted. No one really Thought about it so when we saw Dino bones at a museum we just went "ooh, isn't that big?"

It wasn't until the Internet for me that I started putting the time frames together and THINKING about it and it truly was wtf moment. Before I just didn't go any deeper than what I was told and I think JW'S aren't the only ones that did that.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just for anyone visiting London....

The British Museum contains archaeological antiquities "acquired" from all parts of the globe but is particularly renowned for it's ancient middle east and Egyptian artefacts. There has been increasing contention about the circumstances under which lots of objects were obtained during the time of the British Empire. On the other hand, you could say having a load of material safely stored in London is a hell of a lot safer than anywhere ISIL are active ATM.

The Natural History Museum is where you need to go for fossils.

Both are free to visit, only special exhibitions are charged for. Great fun can be had on most Saturday mornings at the BM when, as already mentioned, "tour guide" dubs lead coach loads of Witnesses (all dressed up) around looking at artefacts that supposedly confirm Biblical events. Just follow along then drop in some choice questions about 607...

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Wouldn't it be great if congs started to arrange trips to the Natural History museum. It would be absolutely priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit