CO talk at SAD appl. of 2 Thess. 1:8 & other mind control tactics

by Kensho 15 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They worship the same vicious genocidal psychopath as ever.

Strange to say, most of us can forgive our children for taking a cookie or a piece of fruit without wanting to kill them and our grandchildrenand great grandchildren.

The Witchtower god is created in the same image as the vindictive hate-filled narrow minded dust farting reptiles in Crooklyn Beth Hell.

No wonder so few people accept "Da TRoof" - who even WANTS a "god" like theirs??

HB

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

When this Jehovah deity gets himself in a destructive mood(sadly depressed), he lashes out blindly it seems with very little remorse, whole cities get wipped out, men women, and babies, even innocent by-standing animals. It seems nobody can reason with him once he decides on a mega slaughter and his killer instinct comes alive, then after all the carnage with blood splatering everywhere his anger subsides and everything is hunky dory again until the next episode.

Isaiah 63:2-5

Why are your garments red,
    like those of one treading the winepress?

“I have trodden the winepress alone;
    from the nations no one was with me.
    I trampled them in my anger
    and trod them down in my wrath;
    their blood spattered my garments,
    and I stained all my clothing.
    It was for me the day of vengeance;
    the year for me to redeem had come.
    I looked, but there was no one to help,
    I was appalled that no one gave support;
    so my own arm achieved salvation for me,
    and my own wrath sustained me.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I was just looking for some of these numbers. Thks ...not Shirley

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here are a few comments from some commentaries on the phrase, "those who do not know God and those who do not obey the good news about our Lord Jesus" (2 Thess 1:8 NWT):

This one is from the NICNT-Thessalonians (Leon Morris, p.203-4):

Bearing in mind the Hebraistic coloring of this passage and the fondness for parallelism in elevated Hebrew style, we apparently have here two designations of more or less the same group of people. There is nothing in the context to prepare us for an allusion to Jew or gentile. "Those who do not know God" refers, of course, not to peopel who have never heard of the true God, but to those who are culpably ignorant. It is the sort of thing that Paul speaks of in Romans 1:28, where he refers to people who "did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowlledge of God." The second clause is then a specific example of this, and the most heinous of all, for it invokes the rejection of the revelation that God has given in his Son. The gospel is a message of good news, but it is also an invitation from the King of kings. Rejection of the gospel accordingly is disobedience to a royal invitation. This is emphasized in the reference to Jesus as "Lord," a word that, in addition, has point in a second advent setting.

[End of quote]

This quote is from the NAC-Thessalonians (D. Michael martin, p.212):

Both clauses begin with the definite article, and such a construction would normally indicate that the author was thinking of two distinct groups. The two groups could be interpreted as the Gentiles who do not know God and the Jews who know God but are disobedient to the gospel. Although this is possible, the Greek construction does not require it, and the distinction is misleading. "Know" in this context refers to obedience as much as knowledge, and given this sense of the word both Gentiles and Jews may not "know God" (see John 8:54-55; Jer 9:6). Both unbelieving Jews and unbelieving Gentiles were willfully disobedient to the gospel as far as Paul was concerned (Rom 1:18-20; 2:12-16). Thus either a Jew or a Gentile could be described as one who does not know and does not obey God. Rather than presenting two groups, these two parallel clauses probably reflect the Old Testament background of the passage and utilize parallelism to describe a single group: unbelievers of any ethnicity.

In support of both clauses referring to a single group it should also be remembered that both clauses apparently describe those who are troubling the church (v. 7). Thus the words "do not know God" could not apply to people who are ignorant of God and/or of the gospel but only to those who have rejected them. 32 The second clause in the parallel, "and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus," adds emphasis and at the same time brings back into focus the thrust of the passage. God's judgment will fall on those who neither acknowledge God nor obey the gospel, and the ultimate expression of such rejection is the persecution of the church (cf. 1 Thess 2:14-16). Thus condemnation is earned not by ignorance or by an isolated act of persecution of believers but by the settled rejection of God inspiring the persistent persecution of God's people.

Footnote 32 reads:

The fate of persons who have never heard the gospel is not discussed in this passage (cf. Rom 1:18-32).

[End of quote]

Since "everlasting destruction" is involved in the passage, it is interesting to compare this with some research I posted here on "unforgivable sin." See my post # 682, 683)

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Thankfully, Blondie posted relevant quotes from articles.

"There is a thinking that has crept in somehow in the minds of some brothers over the years..."

Go on... blame the JWs.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Maccauk11- you seriously mess with my dyslexia,

As sad as it is I remember using this scripture in a talk. It was one of those gloom and doom talks. I now read it and feel pain, pain for the people that fall for it. Life is too short to mess with our brains like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit