My experience today

by leaving_quietly 40 Replies latest jw friends

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I would ask if the beliefs the Jws have now concerning the Generation, FDS etc can EVER be changed again. If she says "no I can't promise that" then she is basically saying that what she believes NOW could be a wrong teaching, false teaching.

NJY

• Fernando
    Fernando

Simple questions rather than statements as others have observed.

(Why do followers of the Watchtower religion call themselves “publishers of the Good News” whilst unfamiliar with the “Good News” according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

leaving-quietly ... I had a very similar conversation with my wife, she actually made the comment that she hoped i had a brain tumor because it would explain my crazy thinking ... that took me by surprise. nothing that I have shared seems to have phased her yet, she has since apologized about the brain tumor comment (or actually tried to explain what she meant). i have moved on with my life for the most part, if she or my kids wanted to turn me in like they should if they were true followers, they have plenty of info to have me cut off.

i hope the best for you in this situation.

feel free to pm me if you ever want to talk

• out4good3
    out4good3

I found one particular part of your conversation with her interesting. I have heard it several times. I think the way you respond to the thinking is key. When she says "Do you think you are smarter than the GB?", you said of course not. But this is not really about intelligence. From her perspective (and maybe yours depending on what you currently believe about the bible), its about truth. Truth wherever it leads.

This piqued my interest in the conversation as well. I remember , in a heated argument, I was having with my wife when she tried to take that tact with me. My response in that they had to put their pants on one leg at a time and wipe their asses after they shit didn't go down to well. Not one of them have any training or instruction beyond the drivel they claim as food at the proper time by mimic'd writing from colleagues for the decades preceding their ascendence to the corporate elite. That makes them as about as dumb as a box of rocks to me.

You're right in that it is not a matter of intelligence,but a matter of what is truth wherever it leads. But, the GB have it in the minds of JWs even a short circuit for that with the "wait on jehovah" mantra. If they are really spirit directed, inspired, or whatever euphemism of weasle words they are using to demonstrate that they are divinely benevolent, you'd have thought that they would get at least one thing right besides concocting more efficient ways of getting money out of their sheep.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LQ,

Wow. Be careful. My wife told me that the GB have more holy spirit, so whatever they say is more likely to be correct. She also said that she would have let our child die if we lived during the " organ transplant banning " period of history. She would always trust the Slave.

I feel your pain. You cannot teach lies to your family. That is going to cause issues. It shouldn't, but the WTBTS will make sure that it does. Just be loving, and never lie. She will get burned by the WT eventually. You will be there for support.

Don't let the eldumbs get in the way. Just chill for a bit.

Peace,

DD

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DATA-DOG: My wife told me that the GB have more holy spirit, so whatever they say is more likely to be correct.

"More likely to be correct." Nice. The thing about THAT is this, very few of us go around claiming we are the only ones with the true and accurate interpretation of the Bible.

That being said, I certainly know WRONG when I see/hear/read it.

leaving_quietly's wife said: "Do you think you are smarter than the Society?

I never use to, but their actions over the last several decades have absolutely convinced me that they are way dumber than the average person and too arrogant to acknowledge it.

QUESTION: Seriously, what kind of people go around claiming to be the only ones that "has the Truth," yet frequently have to change important details of what that "Truth" is and then deny they were ever wrong meanwhile denouncing anyone that dares to even question them?

ANSWER: The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

"Do you think you are smarter than the Society?"

Took me a long time to answer that honestly. I thought there was something wrong with me & if I just studied more then I would be able to resolve the contradictions, circular reasonings and other logical fallacies.

"Do you think you are smarter than the Society?"

Yes. Quite frankly I am.

Good luck with your wife. As soon as they realise they are losing the logic & reason arguments, they switch to emotional blackmail.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Thanks, all, for your kind words.

When she asked if I thought I was smarter than the GB, I thought to myself: "Yes! The Bible says one thing but the WT says another... how dumb do you have to be???" But I didn't say what I was really thinking.

Sadly, since I've started my "journey", as my wife calls it, she has been reading every piece of WT literature she can get her hands on so as to "fortify" herself. It's a travesty, really. The more I learn about TTATT, the more I see her digging her heels in.

For now, though, we've agreed to table further discussions on the subject, so the surface tension is eased. It's still there, but at least she knows how I feel about the changes with "generation" and this latest FDS debacle. She said she hasn't read the 7/15 WT yet. I told her there are numerous changes, but the one I can't deal with is that they used to say they were appointed over all of Christ's belonging in 1918/1919 (they've flip-flopped on the, I told her). I said, "this is something Christendom has been saying all along, that Christ's arrival is yet future!). That and along with the whole trust issue I mentioned from the OD book (I said OM, but I meant OD... OM was the book prior to the current one.)

The reference, in case anyone's interested, is od p. 18: "There are many reasons to have complete trust in the slave class. First and foremost, Jesus has appointed them over all his precious "belongings." This is a clear indication that he has complete trust in them."

wannabefree, I do have depression... self-diagnosed... I refuse to go to the Dr and get put on meds. My wife feels the depression is the leading cause of all this.

Data-Dog:

My wife told me that the GB have more holy spirit

Yes, she said something similar to me. I didn't remind her that they said at the annual meeting that it wasn't like they had a hole in the ceiling with Holy Spirit coming down. I *did* say to her: then why are they continuing to change? Jehovah never told his prophets one thing, then change it up, then change it up again, then change it back, and so on. This isn't the pattern Jehovah uses. It's very strange, and it's very frustrating. The "truth", I said, is a whole lot different than when I got baptized, and we're just supposed to roll over and accept any ol' thing they say.

The other thing I wanted to say, but didn't, is: "There's a reason James said what he said: "Not many of YOU should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we shall receive heavier judgment." (James 3:1)"

*lost*, love your idea. LOL!

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

You could simply say in passing to you wife one day;

"Millions Now Living Will Never Die, they positively will not die!"

Then walk away quickly so she cannot engage you in further conversation.

It might sink in.

abe

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You could say nothing, just stick things on the refrigerator. My mom always did that. It pissed me off, but she was always right and I would have had to confront her to start an argument. By the time I went through the info and thought about my counter-arguments, I realized I was wrong. That may work for you. You could start with:

" od p. 18: "There are many reasons to have complete trust in the slave class. First and foremost, Jesus has appointed them over all his precious "belongings." This is a clear indication that he has complete trust in them."

There isn't much you can say to counter an actual WTBTS publication. Then when she reads the new light.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit